PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' secondary looking for respect

stillers4me
01-28-2011, 04:54 AM
A secondary that helped the Steelers record their most interceptions since 1996 and finish in the top half of the league in pass defense can hardly be described as under siege.

Just don't tell that to cornerback Ike Taylor. Or free safety Ryan Clark.

Taylor took issue with what he perceived were shots at the Steelers secondary earlier this week. Clark later weighed in on the unit that will be on the spot Feb. 6 in Super Bowl XLV when it tries to slow down Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his deep receiving corps. That's the same quarterback who torched the Steelers defense for 383 yards passing and three touchdowns in a 37-36 loss last year at Heinz Field.
"I'm done being disrespected. I'm done even caring. It's my second Super Bowl with this defense and the exact same guys minus Deshea (Townsend)," Clark said. "Maybe the other six or seven (defensive players) on the field with us are that much better than everyone else that they can overcome us being so terrible.

"Or maybe we're all right."..................

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720217.html

HometownGal
01-28-2011, 06:26 AM
I know a lot of us here, including me, have gotten pissed at our secondary at times this season but overall, they've done a good job. :applaudit:

This says it all. Experience DOES matter in the big game:

"Right now this group of individuals can say they've started two Super Bowls, some three Super Bowls together," he said. "Go around the league and poll how many secondaries have done that. There's not going to be many, if any, that can say that, so I think we're doing all right."

stlrtruck
01-28-2011, 08:24 AM
You don't get respect until you earn the respect. So if the packers don't respect our secondary, then it's our secondaries job to go out and take the respect from them!

I say 2-3 pick 6's ought to do the trick!

Wheelz
01-28-2011, 08:58 AM
*biting lip*

Well, compared to our linebackers and defensive line, it's not saying a lot that the secondary is our weakest link on defense.

That said, it's no mistake the Patriots torched us by not even trying to run the ball at ALL.

I'd like to see less attitude and a little more effort, honestly. Baltimore had us beat with one less dropped ball, and the shoebomber dropped an easy one that almost kept them alive, even then.

The same pick play in the red zone has eaten our secondary alive a number of times late this year. How many 3rd and a mile plays have they given up? More than I care to count. I hold my breath on 3rd & long the most now since before Troy joined the team.

I luvs ya, Ryan, but keep it real, man.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Honestly, they should not get that much respect. The weak links will be the #2, 3, 4 cornerbacks. McFadden, Gay and Madison are overmatched vs the Packer receivers............the only equalizer will be pass rush if the Steelers can get to Rodgers.