PDA

View Full Version : Skeletons in the Steelers' closet

SteelerEmpire
01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Article:

"...This is just the latest example of a sinister side to the Steelers that has run parallel to the team's phenomenal success during the past 41 years. To be sure, this isn't ticky-tack stuff like parking tickets and training camp curfew violations. These are reports, allegations or documented instances of shooting at cops, assaults against women, drugs, deadly high-speed car chases and suicides -- as well as repeated questions about performance-enhancing drugs.

None of it, a secret..."

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/110127&sportCat=nfl

SMR
01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Article:

"...This is just the latest example of a sinister side to the Steelers that has run parallel to the team's phenomenal success during the past 41 years. To be sure, this isn't ticky-tack stuff like parking tickets and training camp curfew violations. These are reports, allegations or documented instances of shooting at cops, assaults against women, drugs, deadly high-speed car chases and suicides -- as well as repeated questions about performance-enhancing drugs.

None of it, a secret..."

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=fleming/110127&sportCat=nfl

:coffee:

Chidi29
01-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Ho-hum.

Take any franchise and go back 40+ years and you're going to find transgressions.

oneforthetoe
01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
I read that earlier. What piece of shit, Pull up Fats Homes helicopter incident from 35 years ago to prove that the Steelers are dirty. Ray Carruth tried to have his pregent girlfriend murdered. I guess the Panthers are dirty as well. How about the Falcons because of Vick? Jose Rafael Septien was a kicker for the Cowboys who was convicted of raping a little girl. How about those dirty Cowboys?

I'd like to know what skeletons are in David Fleming's family. Maybe his family is dirty?

Jackass.

Count Steeler
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
When was it ever said that the players cease to be human when they put on a Steelers uniform? Yes it is unfortunate that athlete's sometimes misuse or abuse their fame. Welcome to the human race.

steelerdude15
01-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Anything to bring us down.... About our offensive line in the seventies. Most have come out and admitted they used steroids.... that was ONLY the offensive line, there have been no reports written showing anyone else on the team did steroids at that time or since. People are going to cry and cry and cry. Hey Fleming, Mike Webster had suffered amnesia, dementia, depression and acute bone and muscle pain while suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy or commonly known as CTE in the sports world from all the hits to the head he took during his playing career. Get your facts straight.

HometownGal
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Like I said in another thread - those who pass judgment like this on others usually have some big assed skeletons in their own closets and hide behind the sins of others to cover up their own fuck ups. Coward.

tube517
01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
ESPN. Enough said.

NJarhead
01-27-2011, 05:01 PM
If anyone has a log in to ESPN, kindly add these words to the comments section:

"Hey Flemming, you waste of skin. Get fucked" - oxox TW86.

I'm not boosting their rosters by signing up to comment on that assholes article.

Texasteel
01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
They can't beat us on the field so the next best thing is to try to take us down in the press. It's happened before and is just as insignificant now. I don't know anything about this writer, but this type if trash is usually written by someone having a hard time getting his stuff read.

beSteelmyheart
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Sadly enough, it's become so commonplace within the NFL in general that it's actually a non issue.

Texasteel
01-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Sadly enough, it's become so commonplace within the NFL in general that it's actually a non issue.

I don't think that is just the NFL. I know of a lot of men in my career field that were pretty much the same, particularly when we were working were out of town. We just get a clear look at it in the NFL. I know a lot of guys that I worked closely to, every day, that I wouldn't let near my daughter. I myself, have a few things in my past that I wouldn't what my grandkids know about.

We probably just expect more from our hero's.

stillers4me
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
See my signature.

JonM229
01-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Like I said in another thread - those who pass judgment like this on others usually have some big assed skeletons in their own closets and hide behind the sins of others to cover up their own fuck ups. Coward.

Actually, David Fleming is very open about his personal life. Take his book "Noah's Rainbow" for example:

On August 10, 2000, David and Kim Fleming lost their son, Noah, during childbirth. After his funeral, a rainbow appeared in the sky over the Flemings' home in North Carolina. The family latched onto that symbol of hope and made it the driving force for their recovery. A year and ten days later, their daughter Ally Hope was born. This book, written in the unique narrative style Fleming crafted during his ten years at ESPN and Sports Illustrated, is a father's memoir of the emotional journey from the death of his son to the birth of his daughter. It's real and raw, but above all—redemptive.
Although it opens with the harrowing tale of losing a child, the book is more about hope than death, more about what was learned than what was lost. For other grieving parents, and fathers in particular, this book will show that, while the death of a child will change your life forever, it doesn't have to ruin it. As it unfolds, Noah's Rainbow also becomes something of a love story, recounting the way the Flemings worked through this tragedy as a team, knowing that how they responded to Noah's death would be their son's only legacy. This book details exactly how they managed to do it: how they survived and grieved for their son, what they learned about themselves, their families, and the world at large, the setbacks and the blessings, the daily gifts of hope, the restoration of their faith, the perpetuation of Noah's spirit, and, ultimately, the peace and strength that sustained them as they prepared for the birth of their second child.

NJarhead
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Actually, David Fleming is very open about his personal life. Take his book "Noah's Rainbow" for example:

That's a shame about their son. but his personal story doesn't change the fact that he's a sorry excuse for a "sports writer." Again, using that term loosely on him.

JonM229
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
I was only defending him being called a coward with countless skeletons in his own closet.

I've always thought of Fleming as more of an amusing story-teller than actual reporter.

NJarhead
01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I was only defending him being called a coward with countless skeletons in his own closet.

I've always thought of Fleming as more of an amusing story-teller than actual reporter.

Amusing and with an agenda. I wish he'd have noted what he thought his purpose was for writing such an article. Wait, I think I know: Steelers are in the SB again. Success breeds contempt. A negative article on them in these two weeks equals readers and re-posts. This means recognition and money. Fuck this guy.

JonM229
01-27-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm sure if it were the Pats, he would've written an extensive article on Spygate

And it's success breeds contempt

SteelerSal
01-27-2011, 07:23 PM
I read that earlier. What piece of shit, Pull up Fats Homes helicopter incident from 35 years ago to prove that the Steelers are dirty. Ray Carruth tried to have his pregent girlfriend murdered. I guess the Panthers are dirty as well. How about the Falcons because of Vick? Jose Rafael Septien was a kicker for the Cowboys who was convicted of raping a little girl. How about those dirty Cowboys?

I'd like to know what skeletons are in David Fleming's family. Maybe his family is dirty?

Jackass.

Excellent post!!

NJarhead
01-27-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm sure if it were the Pats, he would've written an extensive article on Spygate

And it's success breeds contempt

That's what I thought I wrote. You knew what I meant Johnny English.

and fuck him anyway.

X-Terminator
01-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Get used to it, folks. We're going to get 10 more days of stories like this. And I won't be reading a single one.

This guy can kindly go fuck himself.