PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ward elusive about retirement

stillers4me
01-27-2011, 05:43 AM
While visiting local students at North Hills High School in April, Hines Ward proclaimed he would retire if he won a third Super Bowl.

Nearly nine months later and on the cusp of another ring, Ward didn't exactly quash the idea that Super Bowl XLV would be his last game if the Steelers would defeat Green Bay.
"My mom asked me that the other day. I really haven't thought about it, to be honest," Ward said. "I don't want to make an emotional decision based off that."................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_720036.html

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2011, 08:30 AM
he knows he's lost a step these last couple years...so I wouldn't blame him for thinking about hanging them up. He's already the all time receiver in Steelers history, he's ranked #21 all time in Receiving Yards, 8th all time in Receptions (only Marvin Harrison is above him for having done it for the same team their entire career) he's #19 in TD catches, he's already got 1 Super Bowl MVP Trophy and 2 Rings, potentially a 3rd Super Bowl Ring...

He's going ot the Hall of Fame. Its not even a doubt at this point. He's been awesome for us, and we'd love for him to stick it out one more year...we'll see what happens, but either way...I love the guy, have loved having the guy on our team and really believe he is truly one of the all time Steeler Greats.

Randy06
01-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Whatever he decides to do is fine with me and his choice. I think after seeing him run through the crowd ate Heinz Sunday maybe this will be it if we win and maybe he just wanted to say goodbye to the fans.

TerribleTowel
01-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I read Back in April That he Said he will retire if he gets his 3rd Ring.

http://www.mkrob.com/steelers-wr-hines-ward-says-he-will-retire-if-he-wins-another-super-bowl/

zulater
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Win or lose he's not retiring, save some sort of major injury in the Super Bowl. (God forbid) He's less than 50 catches short of a 1000, I guarantee you that means a lot to Hines. Not making the case that he's stat obsessed, but if the best blocking wide receiver can catch 1000 passes that solidifies his claim to Canton even further.

And the thing is he's going to be wanted and needed back too. We've got some exciting young receivers, but they still got a lot to learn, and the Steelers know Hines is just the one to teach them.

And before anyone goes proclaiming Hines will come back as an assistant coach next year, no he wont. The reason being first year asst. coaches in the NFL don't make 1/20th of what Hines will make as a player next year.