PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Pouncey reportedly did NOT practice

stillers4me
01-26-2011, 10:34 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/362418918/meandsammy_003_normal.jpg
jimwexell (http://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell) James C Wexell

Maurkice Pouncey on crutches in a cast. He said he doesn't know when he's going to get it off. Didn't want to talk about it. Will update

Merchant
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Didn't wanna talk about it? That's not good.. he's usually optimistic

stillers4me
01-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Steelers Depot http://burgh.us/1oa

ALLD
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Legusky with some help from Flo should be adequate. It will take some creative play design, but expect a heavy dose of the running game with Mendy, Redzone, and short passes to Moore out of the backfield.

fansince'76
01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Legursky vs. Raji is not a good matchup for us. :doh:

Devilsdancefloor
01-26-2011, 11:13 AM
i have faith in legursky to rise to the occasion! the standard is the standard :)

GodfatherofSoul
01-26-2011, 11:18 AM
I thought Legursky did OK considering. The center exchange is another issue.

Randy06
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
I just really dont see how he wont play.....this is the Superbowl people.

SteelerSal
01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
i have faith in legursky to rise to the occasion! the standard is the standard :)

Ditto!!

Burghfan58
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I just really dont see how he wont play.....this is the Superbowl people.

I love the kid but I'm not sure Pouncey would be any better than Legursky if his ankle doesn't bend.

Edman
01-26-2011, 01:35 PM
He's got this week and next week to heal up.

He'll be fine and ready to go Game Day.

HometownGal
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I love the kid but I'm not sure Pouncey would be any better than Legursky if his ankle doesn't bend.

I agree. We've got 11 days til' the big game. A lot of positive can happen between now and then.

XxKnightxX
01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
If he goes through extensive therapy, and I mean extensive such as 6 7 hours of Stem -Ice treatment, whirlpool, icing, and hell even hyberbaric chamber in order for the circulation to increase, hell be ready. Hes probably on that cast to stabilize it and let the blood circulation be more effective for healing. OR it can be my prediction and his leg could be broken worst case scenario but I highly doubt that. Hes gonna play, If Dwight Freeney played with torn ligaments in his ankle then Pouncey can play. he can wear an ankle brace .

HollywoodSteel
01-26-2011, 03:44 PM

That's true by any stretch, especially when defending a blade of grass in a hostile environment.

Aussie_steeler
01-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Chris-Kemoeatu-rules-out-Maurkice-Pouncey

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Chris-Kemoeatu-rules-out-Maurkice-Pouncey.html

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey won't be able to play in the Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers due to a left high-ankle sprain, Steelers guard Chris Keomeatu declared today.
“We are definitely sad that he won’t be able to be with us in the Super Bowl,” Kemoeatu told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Definitely I feel bad for him. We just have to win it for him. .. We know how big this is for him and him not being able to play is definitely motivating for us to go out there and get that ring for him."

86WARD
01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
This hurts...

The Packers D already matches up well against the Steelers O...this isn't going to help...

Psycho Ward 86
01-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Chris-Kemoeatu-rules-out-Maurkice-Pouncey

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Chris-Kemoeatu-rules-out-Maurkice-Pouncey.html

Why am I suspicious that the source is from the "Ravens insider?" I ain't taking any updates as a legit source until Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Tomlin, or the Gazette says it

Burghfan58
01-26-2011, 05:51 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_719978.html

There you have it.

Kaeg
01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Saw this tweet from Jim Wexell a couple hours ago. "3rd string C Essex says hard cast an option; team thinks promotes quick healing. Not about severity."

XxKnightxX
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
This is just devastating. I guess you can see the original post by Wexell and showing how frustrated Pouncey is. He flirted with injuries throughout the season and always managed to shake it off or never make it a problem and to be sidelined the game before the Super Bowl. Id be sick to my stomach. Now do they put him on IR , or stay hopeful. Any Chances that we sign a back up Center?

Burghfan58
01-26-2011, 06:06 PM
This is just devastating. I guess you can see the original post by Wexell and showing how frustrated Pouncey is. He flirted with injuries throughout the season and always managed to shake it off or never make it a problem and to be sidelined the game before the Super Bowl. Id be sick to my stomach. Now do they put him on IR , or stay hopeful. Any Chances that we sign a back up Center?

I would doubt that. Legursky and Essex will have to bust there ass the next week and a half to get ready. It's just one game. They have to step up and get the job done. Lets hope the team can win one for the kid.

Mtn.Steel
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Lets just hope that the Pack is gullible enough to buy this hook, line and sinker and change their prep....or they do not buy into it and prep for Pouncey. Anyone ever watch The Princess Bride? If you have, you`ll know what scene I am referring to.

XxKnightxX
01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Lets just hope that the Pack is gullible enough to buy this hook, line and sinker and change their prep....or they do not buy into it and prep for Pouncey. Anyone ever watch The Princess Bride? If you have, you`ll know what scene I am referring to.

Yeah I hope so too, I think my Original Post was a knee-jerk reaction, but uhh now that I see that the source is Kemo, it will be hard to take that guy seriously. I hear that hes nothing but a goof and prankster in the locker room like Troy.

memphissteelergirl
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_719978.html

There you have it.

:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Slanted August
01-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Gents & Ladies,

This one hurts like hell. Cullen Jenkins, Raji, Matthews. This game could end up being like that Philly game a couple years ago where we were beaten on so many levels.

Call me chicken little but I think BA will have to adjust. I have seen plenty of Packer games and they bring it like the Steelers.

Sorry, I am just disgusted with this news...

Mtn.Steel
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Just remember folks...while it has not been the Steelers MO in the past...disinformation is a tool that many teams have been exploiting. Aaron...Pouncey....will they...won`t they? If I`m a D-Cord, I have to plan for all scenarios. If both our guys come down to "game day decision"...thats gonna mess with the game plan big time. I just hope the powers that be keep playing their cards close to the vest. Who cares if WE have to guess...I want the Pack to be guessing up until game time!!!

LLT
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm keeping the glass half full....I would rather go into this matchup with Legursky than with Hartwig...and we WON with Hartwig in the middle of the line!!!

Mtn.Steel
01-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Gents & Ladies,

This one hurts like hell. Cullen Jenkins, Raji, Matthews. This game could end up being like that Philly game a couple years ago where we were beaten on so many levels.

Call me chicken little but I think BA will have to adjust. I have seen plenty of Packer games and they bring it like the Steelers.

Sorry, I am just disgusted with this news...

Don`t be sorry! Let`s hope that the Pack is buying into all the spewing on the internet just like you! Anything you can read publicly aint worth a hill of beans. It`s all hearsay by a bunch of talkers each w/ a different agenda. Good night! Sleep tight and let the Packers fall where they may!

86WARD
01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't have a lot of hope in the O-Line without Pouncey. But maybe they all come together and take it to the next level which makes them average. The Packers Defense matches up very well against the Steelers O and the Packers O matches up well against the Steelers D. Game scares me as right now I have the Pack winning easily...by about 10. Hopefully we get better news as the week goes on...

stillers4me
01-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm not buying it until it comes out of Tomlin's mouth.

Or I get the text.. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't have a lot of hope in the O-Line without Pouncey. But maybe they all come together and take it to the next level which makes them average. The Packers Defense matches up very well against the Steelers O and the Packers O matches up well against the Steelers D. Game scares me as right now I have the Pack winning easily...by about 10. Hopefully we get better news as the week goes on...

The Pack will not beat the Steelers by 10. The Pack will not beat the Steelers, period.

I don't understand why you constantly have such little faith in the team. Now granted, I've had my moments, but it's an every week thing with you.

86WARD
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Not that I don't have faith. They don't match up well versus the Packers...

I see ways they can win, I see more ways they can lose. They really haven't beaten a QB that can throw the ball. Brees, Brady. Look at the teams they've beaten and look at the signal callers they've faced. The only quality one they've beaten in my book is Matt Ryan. Sanchez is average in my book and Flacco is Flacco. Am I missing someone?

That's a major flaw in my book. Granted the pass defense has been a total 180 of what they were when they faced Brady, but then it could be the competition, but I think they have been better...Rodgers is a major, major test!!!

Psycho Ward 86
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM

You thought the Packers had a hard time scoring and moving the ball on the Bears? Hell they got another thing coming because we're better than the Bears on every tier of the defense: D-line, linebackers, secondary, not to mention the damn coach. I feel you when you say the packers offense matches up well. They match up well with any defense really. Not many offenses feature 4 high octane wide receivers. But you are sorely mistaken if you think the Packers have even the slightest chance of winning easily.

I think you're still living in the world of "The Packers beat the shit out of the Falcons and the Eagles." This is now. Last week, they showed the Pack showed that they were human. They showed that they can BLEED. And the best part for us is that 3 of those weaknesses exploited by the Bears play to what we need to happen:

1) The Bears showed that Aaron Rodgers is very susceptible to bad throws, even under limited pressure: Rodgers had a decent 1st quarter. THAT'S IT. It all went down the shitter from there, albeit one of the interceptions was Donald Driver tipping the ball up into the air a bit it was still a TERRIBLE throw. The Bears didn't even give Rodgers that much pressure at all. He thinks it sucked throwing against the Bears pass rush? Our boys are licking their chops.

2) The Bears showed that the Packers run defense plays like the 18th ranked run defense in the league: Matt Forte, Lesean Mccoy, Michael Vick, and Michael Turner were also having good games against the packers defense, they just didnt have the opportunity to carry the rock as much because the Packers were ALWAYS playing ahead. Yes, correct, those are all of the major rushing threats that the packers have faced in the playoffs, and they've all been able to run well against the packers. Rashard has been inconsistent, and Pouncey won't be too healthy if he does play in the Superbowl, but he's coming off a gashing of the best run defense in the league behind the Steelers and Bears. Legursky played pretty good in Pouncey's absence, and a lot of those runs were all Rashard. He has the potential to rip the Packers a new one.

3) The Bears showed us that the Packers are susceptible to the passing game: And so did Michael Vick who torched the F*** out of them a couple weeks ago. The cheeseheads damn near let a 3rd string QB beat them. Don't let the numbers fool you, that last throw was a "nothing to lose" lob on 4th and 5. Seeing as how we have the potential to run the rock pretty well in this game, it'll open up the passing attack and make our bootlegs and play-actions effective..two types of playcalls in which Ben is by far one of the best in the league at.

86WARD
01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Maybe not easily, but I have them by 10 right now...Of course I'd like to see what happens this week...

X-Terminator
01-26-2011, 07:17 PM

I see ways they can win, I see more ways they can lose. They really haven't beaten a QB that can throw the ball. Brees, Brady. Look at the teams they've beaten and look at the signal callers they've faced. The only quality one they've beaten in my book is Matt Ryan. Sanchez is average in my book and Flacco is Flacco. Am I missing someone?

That's a major flaw in my book. Granted the pass defense has been a total 180 of what they were when they faced Brady, but then it could be the competition, but I think they have been better...Rodgers is a major, major test!!!

Rodgers, as great as he is, is also very prone to turning the ball over. He threw 2 picks against the Bears, and they weren't a good matchup for them either. In fact, he struggled mightily against the Bears and did not lead his offense to a single point in the 2nd half. Also, name me ONE great defense that the Packers have beaten this season.

Everyone sees the yards and everything and assume they can't be beaten. Rodgers is not unbeatable or unstoppable. If they play him the same way they played their last 8 opponents - play the corners closer to the LOS and pressure him - they most certainly can beat him.

I am not afraid of Rodgers. And I doubt the Steelers players themselves are either.

86WARD
01-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Rodgers, as great as he is, is also very prone to turning the ball over. He threw 2 picks against the Bears, and they weren't a good matchup for them either. In fact, he struggled mightily against the Bears and did not lead his offense to a single point in the 2nd half. Also, name me ONE great defense that the Packers have beaten this season.

Everyone sees the yards and everything and assume they can't be beaten. Rodgers is not unbeatable or unstoppable. If they play him the same way they played their last 8 opponents - play the corners closer to the LOS and pressure him - they most certainly can beat him.

I am not afraid of Rodgers. And I doubt the Steelers players themselves are either.

Agree one of the ways I can see the Steelers beating them. Guarantee the Steelers aren't afraid of him...lol. Silly to think they would be.

JayC
01-26-2011, 08:19 PM
damn, that's awful. i will hope some miracle happens between now and the superbowl but i doubt it.

Devilsdancefloor
01-26-2011, 08:42 PM
i really think it is gonna come down to who wants it more and i have a feeling that will be the steelers because I BELIEVE!!

Borski
01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't think Pouncy will miss the game, I don't care what Kemo says. I don't think he will be 100% but he is determined to play and I don't see anything stopping him.

Plus as a belated Birthday gift I got a Pouncy Jersey the day after the game, so I'll take that as a sign the he'll be playing in the Big Game.

GBMelBlount
01-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Maybe not easily, but I have them by 10 right now...

DDF - i really think it is gonna come down to who wants it more and i have a feeling that will be the steelers because I BELIEVE!!

Thank you Scotty.

I was getting ready to throw on my long johns and dig a ditch in advance for our dearly departed Steelers.

I believe as well...how could I not given the heart of this team and the adversity they have overcome?

XxKnightxX
01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
You thought the Packers had a hard time scoring and moving the ball on the Bears? Hell they got another thing coming because we're better than the Bears on every tier of the defense: D-line, linebackers, secondary, not to mention the damn coach

Lets not forget the coaching tree that Lovie Smith comes from. Mike Tomlin knows a thing about the Cover 2 that the bears run and I know hes going to throw in some wrinkles into that game plan to frustrate Rodgers and force him to turn the ball over. We will shut down their new running game (sorry Kuhn, no burn for you), and we will force to make Rodgers beat us, and it can only go for so long.

NCSteeler
01-26-2011, 11:55 PM
IDK why you would give the opposing team that info this early. I would want them planning on facing Pouncey till the last possible minute, but then again how much does a center change the defense plan?? IDK.

Rodgers torched a philly D that has had their entire defensive staff fired and a falcons D that ranks in the bottom 10 in the league in just about every category, then stumbled when they met a tough D. Not worried, sure it'll be close, but I think we beat them

steelreserve
01-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Rodgers is not Brady or Brees. ESPN wants you to think so, but half of it is hype because they NEED to look for he next Golden Boy under every rock. The 60% of people picking the Packers, the +3 point spread? All hype. Rodgers is a good QB, but nowhere near the level that consistently gives us problems. Their receivers are decent, but not the kind that give us matchup problems. Add to that the fact that they have the most jury-rigged running game that's about to go dead flat, and they've got serious problems.

Galax Steeler
01-27-2011, 03:16 AM
I am going to take the wait and see approach next week.

VTsteel
01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey will not play in Super Bowl XLV because of an ankle injury suffered in last weekend's AFC Championship Game, a teammate told the Tribune-Review on Wednesday.
"We are definitely sad that he won't be able to be with us in the Super Bowl," left guard Chris Kemoeatu said after Wednesday's practice on the South Side. "Definitely I feel bad for him. We just have to win it for him. It's definitely a huge loss for us."

Read more: Kemoeatu says Pouncey will miss Super Bowl - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_719978.html#ixzz1CGbnsiCY) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_719978.html#ixzz1CGbnsiCY

steelpride12
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Dammit.

Borski
01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey will not play in Super Bowl XLV because of an ankle injury suffered in last weekend's AFC Championship Game, a teammate told the Tribune-Review on Wednesday.
"We are definitely sad that he won't be able to be with us in the Super Bowl," left guard Chris Kemoeatu said after Wednesday's practice on the South Side. "Definitely I feel bad for him. We just have to win it for him. It's definitely a huge loss for us."

Read more: Kemoeatu says Pouncey will miss Super Bowl - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_719978.html#ixzz1CGbnsiCY) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_719978.html#ixzz1CGbnsiCY

I'll belive it when I hear Pouncey or Tomlin say it, I still think Pouncey will play.

Count Steeler
01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Maybe just setting up a sucker punch. Probably waiting to see how he is after the weekend. Hope the kid can play, he is a big reason we are here this year.

Slanted August
01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Anyone here a doctor? Is it unheard of to rapidly heal after 10 days? Does Maurkice have any social outlets? Hard to find anything on hime except the rest of the leagues knowledgable fan's are predicting a massacre with Green Bay's 3-4 D line and our 2nd string line. Like to know if there is a friend of a friend that may have heard something off the record.

vader29
01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
:frusty:

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle along with the previously-announced high ankle sprain. His status for Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 remains highly doubtful.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/11027/1121114-66.stm#ixzz1CHcRvHLM

XxKnightxX
01-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle along with the previously-announced high ankle sprain. His status for Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 remains highly doubtful.

God Dammit !!! Hes just as good as done, I knew the way he bent he might of broken a bone. Whats confusing me is how theyre saying the X rays show no structural damage? Ahh whatever lets just work with what we got if he plays he plays, the Standard is the Standard.

stillers4me
01-27-2011, 06:18 PM
I see him playing as highly unlikely, but then again, Ben has been playing with a broken bone in his foot for weeks. This kid is pretty dang tough.

SteelerFanInStl
01-27-2011, 06:58 PM

He's definitely out. :(

Galax Steeler
01-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I am going to hold judgement for awhile till it gets closer to time to play the Superbowl.

Shoes
01-27-2011, 07:06 PM
What a bunch of nail bitters.... :chuckle: The packers have 16 players on injured reserve......

Make place for #7!

Polamalu Princess
01-27-2011, 07:10 PM
What a shame. I hope it will be okay...maybe it is just a ploy??? One can hope. However I think that Legursky can do the job.

86WARD
01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Guess it depends on where the break is...

FML.

X-Terminator
01-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry boys and girls, but broken bone in ankle = sideline for the SB.

It sucks, but this team has overcome adversity all season. Whether or not they can overcome this one remains to be seen, but I have faith that they can. My sentiment hasn't changed - I still believe the Steelers will be lifting the Lombardi Trophy again.

Merchant
01-27-2011, 08:42 PM
The standard is the standard. We will win with Legursky. I guess we should dress another linemen for gameday as well?

Steeldude
01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
kemo is the only starter still playing.

X-Terminator
01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
kemo is the only starter still playing.

Flo?

GodfatherofSoul
01-27-2011, 09:01 PM
WTF???? I heard 2 reports that xrays were negative!

Steel MD
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Conventional x-rays are good at detecting most fractures, but nondisplaced (hairline) fractures, stress fractures and microtrabecular fractures are often invisible until after healing has begun (10-14 days). However, MRI can detect all of those more subtle findings as well as evaluate the ligamentous injuries. I'm sure he had an MRI which detected the fracture. Without knowing exactly what he injured, its very difficult to estimate how long he needs to heal. I wish I could see his images.

XxKnightxX
01-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Conventional x-rays are good at detecting most fractures, but nondisplaced (hairline) fractures, stress fractures and microtrabecular fractures are often invisible until after healing has begun (10-14 days). However, MRI can detect all of those more subtle findings as well as evaluate the ligamentous injuries. I'm sure he had an MRI which detected the fracture. Without knowing exactly what he injured, its very difficult to estimate how long he needs to heal. I wish I could see his images.
Same here, if I was a total nutcase ill Play with a cast or a Cement Boot to hell with the ankle lol. Man so unfortunate the he wont play.

steelerdude15
01-27-2011, 10:54 PM
I hope he recovers and get's better soon!

Borski
01-27-2011, 11:28 PM
I know its unrealistic, but Ben played on a broken foot, so I'm still gonna wait for some official word from Tomlin.

HometownGal
01-28-2011, 06:32 AM
I see him playing as highly unlikely, but then again, Ben has been playing with a broken bone in his foot for weeks. This kid is pretty dang tough.

I'm with you here, Sue, though it doesn't look good at this point. I think I'm going to wait to hear it from Tomlin himself.

Iron Steeler
01-28-2011, 08:19 AM

This time Doug will have two weeks to prepare instead of getting thrown in there at a moments notice. I got faith in him

Iron Steeler
01-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Flo?

I guess he is considering Starks and Colon as the starters.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2011, 10:19 AM
This time Doug will have two weeks to prepare instead of getting thrown in there at a moments notice. I got faith in him

I like Legursky, but 2 weeks preparation will not allow him to get bigger or stronger to handle a real solid 3-4 NT. Lets face it, Foster jumped ahead of Legursky because Doug was getting manhandled at Guard. Legursky starting will cause the Steelers to change their offensive gameplan.

This is bad news.

VTsteel
01-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Bad news indeed!

Here's the thing . . . This team NEEDS adversity to be great. This could be just the thing . . . I hope

Pristas
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I like Legursky, but 2 weeks preparation will not allow him to get bigger or stronger to handle a real solid 3-4 NT. Lets face it, Foster jumped ahead of Legursky because Doug was getting manhandled at Guard. Legursky starting will cause the Steelers to change their offensive gameplan.

This is bad news.

Generally I agree, but what this does is create an intangible. If the Steelers alter their game plan, the new outcome is not foreseeable by the Packers. They can look at all the tape they want, but that isn't necessarily what we are going to do. This could play to the Steeler's benefit.

stillers4me
01-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Steelers' Pouncey has broken bone in left ankle

Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle along with the previously announced high ankle sprain, and his status for Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 remains highly doubtful.

Steelers sources say they have not ruled him out of the game against the Green Bay Packers, but a number of teammates privately remain skeptical that he will be healthy enough to play.

Both Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and Pouncey himself described the injury to the rookie Pro Bowler as a high ankle sprain, sustained on the opening drive of their 24-19 victory against the New York Jets in the AFC championship game.

But, after further examination, it was determined Pouncey also has a broken bone in his ankle.

His left foot and ankle were encased in a hard cast that replaced a walking boot. Pouncey has been using crutches to get around but has not been available to the media this week at the team's training facility.......

Read more @
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11028/1121190-66.stm

steelpride12
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Im just not getting my hopes up, each day the news get worse and now a broken foot and in a boot, that is for sure doubtful.

XxKnightxX
01-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Im just not getting my hopes up, each day the news get worse and now a broken foot and in a boot, that is for sure doubtful.

Its not even a boot its a cast, which is basically stating full immobilization and not enough blood circulation so theyre trying not even looking for alternates at this point. At this point theyre just waiting for the blood of the body to clean up and repair the broken bone bits, so its not looking good at all. I dont care who plays, Legursky will do what he has to do, the Defense and other players in the team are gonna have to step their game up.

Count Steeler
01-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Masterful bit of distraction. More than likely he will not play, but we all seem to be losing focus of the bigger picture. I love Pouncey, but he is only one player on a team of champions. What better way to use this situation to goad the O line into raising their game and winning for "The Kid". He will play in the next year's Super Bowl.

Borski
01-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Update!

Steelers Notebook: Pouncey has 50-50 chance to play

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/201101129steelers_500.jpg

Maurkice Pouncey showed up at the Steelers facility Friday wearing a protective boot on his injured left ankle, not the hard cast he had been wearing the past couple days.

Also, because the Steelers and Green Bay Packers were required to submit an official injury report for the first time for Super Bowl XLV, Pouncey was listed as questionable -- meaning he has a 50-50 chance to play.

The Steelers are holding out hope the rookie center can play against the Packers, even though the Post-Gazette reported Wednesday that Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle to accompany the high-ankle sprain he sustained in the AFC championship game.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11029/1121551-66.stm#ixzz1COzkXpy4

Galax Steeler
01-29-2011, 05:26 AM
I like the sound of 50/50 then the reports I heard the other day.

GBMelBlount
01-29-2011, 06:54 AM
I love Pouncey, but he is only one player on a team of champions.

What better way to use this situation to goad the O line into raising their game and winning for "The Kid". He will play in the next year's Super Bowl.

There is no other way I can view this either.

We are a team of battle tested champions who have overcome one adversity after another without missing a beat.

cold-hard-steel
01-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Over and over it's the "MACH 5" Syndrom. We will be fine. The Pack can't stop us from our quest for 7. You just have to believe thats all.I feel bad for Pouncey,but he will still get his ring. I am a believer!!!!!!

stillers4me
01-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Even if he doesn't get to play, he has earned that ring!!

Galax Steeler
01-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Even if he doesn't get to play, he has earned that ring!!

He has done more then earn a ring he has done a super job for us this year.

steelpride12
01-30-2011, 08:01 AM
I just don't see him playing. Legursky now has 2 whole weeks to prepare instead of coming in on an emergency basis so the mistakes he made should be to a minimum. If you take away the 2 crap snaps he had to Ben he played pretty well in the place of Pouncey.

86WARD
01-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Pouncey's OUT...?

Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) rookie center Maurkice Pouncey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13250) will not play in Super Bowl XLV due to a fracture in his ankle and a high ankle sprain, according to a league source.

Pouncey, and his teammates, have known this week that the standout rookie will not be able to play and that second-year undrafted free agent Doug Legursky (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11556) will start Super Bowl XLV against the Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers).
Legursky replaced Pouncey in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the New York Jets (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets), and Pittsburgh did not appear to struggle much with the change at center.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6073965

SMR
01-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Pouncey's OUT...?

Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) rookie center Maurkice Pouncey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13250) will not play in Super Bowl XLV due to a fracture in his ankle and a high ankle sprain, according to a league source.

Pouncey, and his teammates, have known this week that the standout rookie will not be able to play and that second-year undrafted free agent Doug Legursky (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11556) will start Super Bowl XLV against the Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers).
Legursky replaced Pouncey in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game against the New York Jets (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets), and Pittsburgh did not appear to struggle much with the change at center.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6073965

You're right, Pouncey is out. I saw it on ESPN today. GO GET 'EM LEGURSKY!!!

stillers4me
01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Did anyone actually see Tomlin's lips move yet, or are they just rehashing the same speculation from earlier in the week?

SMR
01-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Pouncey is out.

HollywoodSteel
01-30-2011, 03:10 PM

This is bad news.

Worse news is if it doesn't change the offensive game plan. BA has said before that he wouldn't change the game plan based on injuries along the OL.

I'm just praying he doesn't adhere to that philosophy now.

SMR
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Worse news is if it doesn't change the offensive game plan. BA has said before that he wouldn't change the game plan based on injuries along the OL.

I'm just praying he doesn't adhere to that philosophy now.

But Legursky held his own fairly well (minus the snap miscue) against the Jets almost the entire game! Pouncey was out of the game since the Steelers' first drive of the first quarter! Steelers were up 24-3 at one point. Legursky should be alright.

HollywoodSteel
01-30-2011, 03:48 PM
But Legursky held his own fairly well (minus the snap miscue) against the Jets almost the entire game! Pouncey was out of the game since the Steelers' first drive of the first quarter! Steelers were up 24-3 at one point. Legursky should be alright.

He did alright on some plays and not others. There were times in the second half where the middle of the line gave up some major pressure. Plus, you have to remember that the Jets game-planned for our best offensive lineman being at center, so they attacked elsewhere until they made the adjustment in the second half. The Packers will game-plan for our best O-lineman to be gone. And they have an absolute beast at the NT position.

I'm just worried that Raji is way too strong for D-Leg. I'm hope we plan to have Ben roll to his right a lot, because if he just stands in the pocket, hoping the interior of the line will hold for more than 2 seconds, we could be in trouble.

Merchant
01-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Did I miss something? Where are you all getting the impression from that Raji is the second-coming of Haloti Ngata? I've watched quite a few Packers games this season and, yeah, the kid looks OK, but nothing to warrant so much concern over. Legursky will be fine. The O-Line will be fine. And we will win.

BigPoppaG
01-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Pouncey is out...long live Legursky! For someone who was just thrown in he did pretty good in my book. With two weeks of practice he should be fine. We'll have Pouncey back next year and the following 10. ;-)

Once again the Steelers just Plug and Play the positions. Gotta love that.

Doc
01-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Another game, another week with Oline concerns, and I'm guessing another week where the Steelers overcome.

HollywoodSteel
01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Did I miss something? Where are you all getting the impression from that Raji is the second-coming of Haloti Ngata? I've watched quite a few Packers games this season and, yeah, the kid looks OK, but nothing to warrant so much concern over. Legursky will be fine. The O-Line will be fine. And we will win.

I certainly wouldn't put Raji at Ngata's talent level, but he is strong, and strength is D-Leg's weakness.

For the record, I don't think this has to sink us. I just think we have to game plan accordingly and get the ball out of Ben's hands quicker or get him moving out of the pocket.

86WARD
01-30-2011, 08:05 PM

Legursky did that on "short notice" as well. He's had time to prepare here...mentally he should be fine. Physically...it could be a problem.

SMR
01-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Legursky did that on "short notice" as well. He's had time to prepare here...

Exactly.

Borski
01-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm still waiting on Official word.

SMR
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Sheesh, now they're saying Tomlin is not ruling Pouncey out- whoo hooo!

stillers4me
01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201101/dianasteelers013111_07_330.jpg

Borski
01-31-2011, 05:47 PM
This is great news! I can still hold out hope a little longer!

Texasteel
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Pouncey just told Sanders that he is playing Sunday, you can count on it. I sure hope he can.

venom
02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Listening to WFAN here in NY , one of the guys interviewed Pouncey and asked him if hes playing Sunday and Pouncey said " 75 % I am playing Sunday "

Borski
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
He is on ESPN right now

Borski
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
He is on ESPN right now

He said "its a nastly little purple color but its feeling better"

he also said it it is only a high ankle sprain, no broken bones.

stillers4me
02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/568107455/TunchAndWolf-Steelers_normal.png
TunchandWolf (http://twitter.com/#!/TunchandWolf) Tunch and Wolf

i did a radio show at the omni hotel (steelers) and Maurkice Pouncey was moving around the lobby pretty good and in sneakers, no boot.

Borski
02-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Good news!

Now he needs to be able to practice tomorrow or he is out for the Super Bowl.

I am anxious to hear what happens.

Steeldude
02-04-2011, 12:48 AM
i did a radio show at the omni hotel (steelers) and Maurkice Pouncey was moving around the lobby pretty good and in sneakers, no boot.

i seriously doubt he will play. i can walk fine with my stress fracture in my right tibia, but there is no way i could play any sports other than golf.

i hope i am wrong.

fansince'76
02-04-2011, 01:22 AM
i seriously doubt he will play. i can walk fine with my stress fracture in my right tibia, but there is no way i could play any sports other than golf.

i hope i am wrong.

Yep. While I'm hopeful, I still fully expect Legursky to play instead, unfortunately.

Craic
02-04-2011, 02:15 AM

i hope i am wrong.

You must be right handed then! No way I could do it if it was in my left tibia-- all that weight resting on the leg at the end!

Craic
02-04-2011, 02:17 AM
He said "its a nastly little purple color but its feeling better"

he also said it it is only a high ankle sprain, no broken bones.

That would be nice if it was true. But I don't know... sometimes, you wish for breaks over sprains-they heal faster and more complete.

Galax Steeler
02-04-2011, 03:10 AM
It is sounding better and better lets not loose hope.

HometownGal
02-04-2011, 04:36 AM
Pouncey hasn't practiced yet this week which is kind of a red flag that he most likely won't be playing on Sunday. If he practices today and the ankle holds up, then we're in business! :applaudit: However, I have every confidence in Legursky that he will get the job done in Maurkice's absence, if necessary.

GoSlash27
02-04-2011, 06:06 AM
It's the mystical healing properties of Brett Keisel's beard!

JayC
02-04-2011, 09:28 AM
last night i had a dream of the super bowl and pouncey was playing but too bad dreams aren't realibity

Texasteel
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Pouncey hasn't practiced yet this week which is kind of a red flag that he most likely won't be playing on Sunday. If he practices today and the ankle holds up, then we're in business! :applaudit: However, I have every confidence in Legursky that he will get the job done in Maurkice's absence, if necessary.

I know where they are practicing, but the roads are to bad to get over there to check.

Like you I think Doug will do just fine. He did pretty well the last game when Maurkice went down, and he and Ben have had two week to practice the snap.

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Mike Tomlin told Suzy Kolber that Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey did not practice and has been ruled of Super Bowl XLV.

But then, Schefter also reported that Clay Matthews won DPOY. :coffee:

Borski
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
It's not looking promising, but Adam Schefter hasn't been very reliably lately

Merchant
02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Mike Tomlin told Suzy Kolber that Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey did not practice and has been ruled of Super Bowl XLV.

But then, Schefter also reported that Clay Matthews won DPOY. :coffee:

If this is another bogus report I'm gonna find out where Schefter lives and castrate him. Not that he had any balls in the first place.

JayC
02-04-2011, 02:48 PM
bummer. hopefully legursky can hold his own

Borski
02-04-2011, 03:47 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/02/steelers-maurkice-pouncey-will-not-play-in-super-bowl/1

Ok looks official. I'll give up hope of him playing.

Looks like I will wear my Troy Jersey for the game.

HometownGal
02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
We'll be just fine with Legursky. :thumbsup: Maurkice helped to get us here and I'm sure he knows how much his teammates and we fans appreciate him! :drink:

Craic
02-04-2011, 03:56 PM
We'll be just fine with Legursky. :thumbsup: Maurkice helped to get us here and I'm sure he knows how much his teammates and we fans appreciate him! :drink:

Bingo, and bingo.

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 04:20 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1164210886/the_dog_normal.jpg
SI_PeterKing (http://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing) Peter King

Legursky has 4 career NFL starts at guard, zero at center.

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!!!!!!!!!! :tt03:

VTsteel
02-04-2011, 04:51 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1164210886/the_dog_normal.jpg
SI_PeterKing (http://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing) Peter King

Legursky has 4 career NFL starts at guard, zero at center.

Here we go, Steelers, here we go!!!!!!!!!! :tt03:

No time like the Super Bowl to be GREAT. Let's hope we unleash the freakin' animal in the Big Legursky!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
This really isnt good. It more than likely means runs will need to go outside or off tackle...or expect a double team on the NT.

Pass protection could be tougher as it either means Legursky gets help, or picks a side and rides Raji all the way out so that Ben can Step up. I like Legursky, but he is gonna be overmatched and have to just limit the penetration instead of getting totally "Mahan-ed".

Iron Steeler
02-04-2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGQJodNC_oc

GO DOUG LEGURSKY!!!

SteelerEmpire
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
WOW. I can't believe the team let the whole O-line get so thin...?

stillers4me
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Mike Tomlin had this team ready to win with 3rd and 4th string QB's.

A back up center for the Superbowl? No sweat.

Steeldude
02-08-2011, 03:51 AM
Flo?

he took colon's spot