PDA

View Full Version : About our Punter situation.....

XxKnightxX
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Im not sure about you guys, but Nittany Lion Alum Jeremy Kapinos has been doing a good job as a punter upon the once again injury to Sepulvedas knees. So my question is do we keep Kapinos and drop Sepulveda or do we keep our Ray Guy award winner?

NJarhead
01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Im not sure about you guys, but Nittany Lion Alum Jeremy Kapinos has been doing a good job as a punter upon the once again injury to Sepulvedas knees. So my question is do we keep Kapinos and drop Sepulveda or do we keep our Ray Guy award winner?

I agree he's been quietly doing a solid job, but we keep Danny. Dude's got a cannon leg and he's like having another linebacker on special teams.

GodfatherofSoul
01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Sepulveda should be gone. We can't have an injury-prone punter. If it was from incidental injuries, maybe. But, he's just got the injury bug like Fumuato-Ma'afala.

tube517
01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Isn't Danny boy a free agent after this year?

BigNastyDefense
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I like Sepluveda a lot, but this is the third time he has had a torn ACL in his career (once in college, now twice as a Steeler). We've gotten lucky with Kapinos, it's not that often in-season you can find a guy who's punted as well as this guy has. I'd say keep Kapinos, he's earned it.

fansince'76
01-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I say we keep Kapinos at this point. Sep is a bit too injury prone, unfortunately.

Chidi29
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Give a one year deal to both guys (We can tender Kapinos as he's a RFA) and let them battle it out in camp. I'd at least see what Dan can do after his recovery before letting him loose.

SteelerSal
01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Give a one year deal to both guys (We can tender Kapinos as he's a RFA) and let them battle it out in camp. I'd at least see what Dan can do after his recovery before letting him loose.

What if Dsep looks great in camp, wins the spot and blows his knee out...again?? I say it's time to cut ties.
Keep Dsep there is a chance we lose both....keep Kapinos we only lose one. :)

Chidi29
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
What if Dsep looks great in camp, wins the spot and blows his knee out...again?? I say it's time to cut ties.
Keep Dsep there is a chance we lose both....keep Kapinos we only lose one. :)

I guess you could ask that question anytime you have to make a difficult decision of who to cut and who to keep. If he looks strong and he's clean medically (as clean as you can be), then go with the better player. Can't play the "what if" game.

SteelerSal
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I guess you could ask that question anytime you have to make a difficult decision of who to cut and who to keep. If he looks strong and he's clean medically (as clean as you can be), then go with the better player. Can't play the "what if" game.

Very true if this was a first time injury....but we know thats not the case. Unfortunately some players just can't manage to stay healthy and have to be let go.

venom
01-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I agree he's been quietly doing a solid job, but we keep Danny. Dude's got a cannon leg and he's like having another linebacker on special teams.

Ditto

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
doesn't matter, won the freaking super bowl with Berger as a punter...heck...I'm 37 and will be 38 by the time the season starts again and I'm considering trying out to be the Steelers punter at this point...

SteelGhost
01-25-2011, 03:45 PM
I like DSep and appreciate what he has done in Pittsburgh, but I'd keep Kapinos.

ALLD
01-25-2011, 03:52 PM
It would be a bad move to resign a punter who went on IR two times.

HometownGal
01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
I love my DSep but I have to agree with the majority here. He appears to be somewhat injury prone and Kapinos has stepped up big time.

No matter where he goes, I'll still be :lust: ing on him. :heh:

Mistah Q
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Keep Sepulveda.

Bills game. Pinned deep in overtime, he absolutely CRUSHED a punt, that gave the Bills no chance for a short field and easy score. He won us that game. Like Kapinos just fine, but we don't win that game with him in there. Then we don't win the division, have the long road through the playoffs, and maybe don't find ourselves in the position we're in today.

The punter matters, and Sepulveda is just better.

Merchant
01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't get how a PUNTER gets so many season ending injuries. I used to kick/punt in highschool, there is no way a punter should ever be injured unless he's run into, which wasn't the case with Sep.

NJarhead
01-25-2011, 07:41 PM
doesn't matter, won the freaking super bowl with Berger as a punter...heck...I'm 37 and will be 38 by the time the season starts again and I'm considering trying out to be the Steelers punter at this point...

Originally from New Jersey....now from Arkansas? Yea, the Steelers will be all over you Dino. lol ;-) j/k

Galax Steeler
01-26-2011, 03:31 AM
I am starting to lean toward Kapinos we just can't keep getting injured at the punter position.

43Hitman
01-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Keep Sepulveda.

Bills game. Pinned deep in overtime, he absolutely CRUSHED a punt, that gave the Bills no chance for a short field and easy score. He won us that game. Like Kapinos just fine, but we don't win that game with him in there. Then we don't win the division, have the long road through the playoffs, and maybe don't find ourselves in the position we're in today.

The punter matters, and Sepulveda is just better.

lol what?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2011, 08:27 AM
The fact that we can get Kapinos off the couch to punt adequately just goes to show that its not that tough to find a kicker. So many Steeler fans want to back the money truck up for kickers like Reed because they think we cant live without them.........but Suisham and Kapinos are proof that kickers can be found without having to put up big contracts or franchise tags for.

Sep will be back and get some competition in camp next season. Just like I am sure Peter Czech might be back too.

NJarhead
01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
The fact that we can get Kapinos off the couch to punt adequately just goes to show that its not that tough to find a kicker. So many Steeler fans want to back the money truck up for kickers like Reed because they think we cant live without them.........but Suisham and Kapinos are proof that kickers can be found without having to put up big contracts or franchise tags for.

Sep will be back and get some competition in camp next season. Just like I am sure Peter Czech might be back too.

I think we got lucky with both. And Kapinos is adequate. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but punters serve more of a purpose than just simply kicking the ball down the field. I've only seen one ball bounce at the 1 and get downed deep, but that was called back.

I love Suisham, but I still say we got lucky. He's good and he loves being a Steeler.

Randy06
01-26-2011, 11:56 AM
It sometimes takes luck during a season to get by, and we have gotten lucky with both. I love what Suisham has done what they both have done....but there is one game left i will save my "what should we do" with em till after that game.

Butch
01-26-2011, 12:45 PM

I completely agree BRING BACK MITCH!!!

NJarhead
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I completely agree BRING BACK MITCH!!!

haha. Mitch actually caused a fumble in the AFCCG that year.

KeiselPower99
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I like what Kapinos has done. Sepulveda has been solid when healthy. But thats the problem.