PDA

View Full Version : Flozell one happy camper

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-25-2011, 01:29 PM
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2011/01/maligned-former-cowboys-tackle-flozell-adams-is-jubilant-and-chatty-about-getting-super-bowl-berth-w.html

Maligned former Cowboys tackle Flozell Adams is jubilant and chatty about getting Super Bowl berth with Steelers
It was a talkative and giddy Flozell Adams in the Pittsburgh Steelers locker room on Sunday.

It was definitely a contrast from the grumpy and silent tackle who played 12 seasons for the Cowboys.

But there was super reason for Adams being jubilant and chatty.

Just months after being released by the Cowboys in a move they hoped would take them to the Super Bowl, it will be Adams who will be playing in his first Super Bowl at Cowboys Stadium Feb. 6

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/the-game/20110124-taylor-steelers_flozell-adams-shows-effort-we-didn_t-always-see-in-dallas.ece

The comments at the end of this article on the webpage are priceless....cryboy fans actually saying good things about the steelers..who knew.

PITTSBURGH — After Antonio Brown stumbled out of bounds at the end of his game-clinching catch-and-run on third down, tackle Flozell Adams sprinted about 10 yards to celebrate with the rookie receiver.

Adams pumped his right fist the entire way.

When he arrived, Adams greeted Brown with a hug — and a head butt.

Finally, Adams knew he was going to the Super Bowl

In 189 games spanning 12 seasons with the Cowboys, Adams celebrated one playoff victory. In one season with Pittsburgh, he already has won two postseason games.

For now, the sweetest is Pittsburgh’s 24-19 win Sunday night over the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

As the final seconds ticked away, Adams could barely contain his excitement. Anyone wearing black and gold received a hug, including running back Rashard Mendenhall or tight end Heath Miller.

When the game ended and his teammates congregated near midfield to celebrate, Adams walked toward the end zone alone with his thoughts.

He thought about all of the games and practices since he first put on a pair of shoulder pads. He thought about the good times, like being drafted 38th overall by the Cowboys in 1998 and winning 13 games in 2007, earning the NFC’s top seed.

He thought about the five Pro Bowls he has played in. And he thought about the bruises, sprains and assorted injuries that have stolen a little of his athleticism each year.

“When I started my career, I figured it would only be a matter of time before I played in the Super Bowl,” he said. “I’ve been waiting my whole career for this, and it feels great.”

Adams helped Pittsburgh dominate the line of scrimmage in the first half, when the Steelers surged to a 24-0 lead.

In the first quarter, the Steelers ran behind Adams, playing right tackle, 11 times for 40 yards. In the second quarter, the Steelers ran behind Adams four times for 41 yards, including a 35-yard run by Mendenhall, who finished with 121 yards on 27 carries.

Adams bullied defensive end Mike DeVito and linebackers David Harris and Calvin Pace. Adams sealed the corner numerous times on sweeps around right end. He made blocks on the second level against linebackers, showing agility and effort we didn’t always see in his last few seasons in Dallas.

Realistically, it was time for Adams to leave Dallas.

The false starts. The sacks. The average performances.

At 35, Jerry Jones didn’t want to pay Adams the $7.5 million he was scheduled to earn in 2010, so the Cowboys released him. Besides, Jerry figured Doug Free or Alex Barron could handle left tackle at a fraction of the cost.

“I knew it was going to happen one day,” Adams said of being released. “I just wanted to move on. I didn’t have any sour feelings.

“You know me — I don’t care what people think as long as my teammates, coaches and family think I’m doing a good job.”

Adams sat for nearly three months until Willie Colon suffered a season-ending injury in late July, prompting the Steelers to sign Adams to a two-year, $7.5 million deal that paid him $2.5 million this season.

Adams, who has started every game this season, is better suited for right tackle because he doesn’t face an elite pass rusher most weeks, and the position accentuates his run-blocking ability.

This season, the Steelers rushed for a 4.8-yard average on 144 carries when they ran behind Adams and a 3.6 average on 357 carries on all other runs.

After the win, Adams soaked in every aspect of the atmosphere.

First, he posed for serious pictures with the AFC trophy in the locker room before taking some silly photographs. He snapped pictures of the other offensive linemen with his cell phone, then posed for a group shot with the other linemen.

Then, Adams grabbed the AFC Championship trophy and pretended to sneak out a side door with it. Adams returned, handing the silver trophy to another teammate, a huge smile on his face.

Devilsdancefloor
01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
im really happy for flo

ALLD
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
One more game Flo.

salamander
01-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Reminds of 2008 when Sean McHugh was released from the Lions who were coming off their 0-16 season, signed with the Steelers, and went on to win a Super Bowl with Pittsburgh.

SteelerFanInStl
01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
It's good to see that there are actually some Cowboy fans who get it. Here's one of the comments:

I have been a cowboys fan since 1964 and will remain until i die. But I must say that the Steelers are the best organization in the NFL. Always have been and still are. No matter who is coaching or playing they are competitive and give you a good effort. Sure they have had slow times but they are short lived and problems are fixed promptly. I was very sadden that the Cowboys did not wait for the defensive backs coach of the steelers to be the next defensive coordinator. I wish we could just hire anyone from the steelers organization to give some input and it would be accepted. Fire Dave Campo!

GBMelBlount
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Finally, Adams knew he was going to the Super Bowl

In 189 games spanning 12 seasons with the Cowboys, Adams celebrated one playoff victory. In one season with Pittsburgh, he already has won two postseason games.

For now, the sweetest is Pittsburghs 24-19 win Sunday night over the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

As the final seconds ticked away, Adams could barely contain his excitement. Anyone wearing black and gold received a hug, including running back Rashard Mendenhall or tight end Heath Miller.

When the game ended and his teammates congregated near midfield to celebrate, Adams walked toward the end zone alone with his thoughts.

He thought about all of the games and practices since he first put on a pair of shoulder pads. He thought about the good times, like being drafted 38th overall by the Cowboys in 1998 and winning 13 games in 2007, earning the NFC’s top seed. He thought about the five Pro Bowls he has played in. And he thought about the bruises, sprains and assorted injuries that have stolen a little of his athleticism each year.

Wow. What a great read.

Every pro football player dreams of playing in and winning a super bowl.

After twelve years of disappointment Flozell is just one game away.....

BPS3akaWirels3
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
PincheManny (http://www.dallasnews.com/membercontent/memberprofile/?ukey=16723151&plckUserId=16723151)

4:21 PM on January 24, 2011
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore PincheManny. Show Details (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/the-game/20110124-taylor-steelers_flozell-adams-shows-effort-we-didn_t-always-see-in-dallas.ece#)Hide Details (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/the-game/20110124-taylor-steelers_flozell-adams-shows-effort-we-didn_t-always-see-in-dallas.ece#)
Lesson from the Steelers Organization
Owners - Own
Scouts - Scout
Coaches - Coach
Players - Play
Steelers - WIN

SMR
01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I love how a big grown old man like Flozell gets to feel like a kid all over again. Bless his heart!!

stillers4me
01-25-2011, 05:24 PM
I've grown rather fond of that big doof. I wonder what's going to happen next year when Willie Colon is back.

SMR
01-25-2011, 05:26 PM
I've grown rather fond of that big doof. I wonder what's going to happen next year when Willie Colon is back.

Me too. I actually hope they keep him. That can keep the competition/fire going between Colon and Flozell. Competition can be GOOD!

ALLD
01-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I say some of Mendy's yards are because Flo was playing out of his mind.

Kaeg
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
As another thread addressed: Winning the Superbowl could cause some people to think of retirement. I wonder what it would make Flozell think. I've also grown quite fond of him in this short time he's been here. Maybe winning it will just rejuvenate him and allow him to have enough fun to want to stay around.

Count Steeler
01-25-2011, 06:28 PM
This year and a Super Bowl win would certainly rejuvenate his career. Might as will stick around for number 8.

NJarhead
01-25-2011, 07:09 PM
This year and a Super Bowl win would certainly rejuvenate his career. Might as will stick around for number 8.

At 36, he'll probably retire if we win. Bummer too, because I would love to see Willie Colon at RG.

SMR
01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
At 36, he'll probably retire if we win. Bummer too, because I would love to see Willie Colon at RG.

Yeah.

SteelerFanInStl
01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
I would love to see Willie Colon at RG.

Lots of us would like to see that.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-26-2011, 12:29 AM
more cryboy comments...this is really killing 'em....

always cowboys wrote:
Letting flozell adams go was a big mistake, if anything he should have been kept to backup Free however I'm sure adams would have started sooner than later. Colombo is a good run blocker but he has always s..cked at pass blocking. Something to look forward too, wade philips is gone. He was the biggest factor in the down fall of the Cowboys. I don't like the squealers and hope they lose so the Cowboys can catch them in superbowl wins soon.We are the Dallas Cowboys "Americas Team" and it's only fitting we have the most superbowl trophies. :toofunny: Talk about entitlement issues...geez

*Right now as a fan, you know, I wanna believe, but I can't rid of that DOOMED feeling regarding the team. Here we have the P.O.S. Steelers going for yet another fake Super Bowl win...on our field. The endzone being painted STEELERS is disgusting enough, but them actually winning the game, that's overkill. Now we're forced to rely on the Green Bay Packers to do something we're NOT IN POSITION to do, which is stop them from winning another Super Bowl.

shootingstar wrote:
By the way,wasn't Tomlin available when the Cowboys were looking for a new coach three or four years ago?I don't think JJ even considered him and he turned out to be a better coach than any the Cowboys have! The youngest coach to ever win a SB! I guess he wasn't one of the good ol'boys,huh?

Can you say COACHING.

I would bet almost every fan reading this article realizes that Mendenhall and Flo should have been on our team this year, just how Pitt would have fared with Felix, and Barron?

Please Jerry soak all of this up this week, with Flo, Mendenhall, Walden, and oh yeah, also notice who Pitt has as their steady FG kicker. I hope it hurts, I know it's killing all of us fans, how smart is our GM feeling now?

It's amazing how someone's trash is anothers treasure. Seems to me that the 'Boys missed the boat on this one. I would like to see what happens when Jason Witten gets a little older. As it is right now, Flozell would have been a better option at RT than what we rolled out the entire 2010 season. Good luck in SB Flo.

tube517
01-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Those Cryboys fans cannot handle it at all. It is sucking at their bandwagon guts. "It's only fitting that we have the most trophies." wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! What a bunch of babies. Boo freakin hoo.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Been saying that for years. I'd love to see Colon at RG and even if Adams retires, then Chris Scott or Jon Scott could play RT. Maybe a rookie OT can play RT too. I'd like to see a line of Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Colon, Jason Pinkston next season.

Bluecoat96
01-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Been saying that for years. I'd love to see Colon at RG and even if Adams retires, then Chris Scott or Jon Scott could play RT. Maybe a rookie OT can play RT too. I'd like to see a line of Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Colon, Jason Pinkston next season.

Man....can you imagine how crazy good this would be?

ALLD
01-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Pouncey x 2.

NJarhead
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Man....can you imagine how crazy good this would be?

Agreed. "Hey diddle-diddle Mendy up the middle" every time. lol

The Duke
01-26-2011, 09:23 PM

Oh man, that sounds delicious :thumbsup:

After that achilles injury some of colon's athleticsm could be threatened, so it could make sense to move him to RG

XxKnightxX
01-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Pouncey x 2.

Call me crazy but Ill sure as hell trade up in the draft to get him.