PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin: “We're Kind of Making It Up As We Go Along.”

LLT
06-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Mike Tomlin: “We're Kind of Making It Up As We Go Along.”
by Omar Brown
June 10, 2010

"I'm not going to name a No. 1 — I don't need to," Tomlin said "I think how we distributed reps is an indication at this juncture."

This was our answer today as to who would be named Steelers starting QB, in light of Ben Roethlisberger’s 6 game suspension by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Asked if Batch still figures into the quarterback competition, Tomlin said, “He is, but there will not be equal reps and equal opportunities to prove what you’re capable of. It’s just not feasible.”

Last week Tomlin said "I don't mind the circus atmosphere' well I guess we are just going to have to kick back and relax while waiting for the edge of your seat saga of the greatest show on earth to unfold. The suspense is killing me.

We were warned not to read too much into the distribution of reps during the OTA's.

“You can read into it if you chose to,” Tomlin said. “But really, they’re two different, two separate agendas when you talk about OTAs and training camp, at least in my perspective in regards to this team. I’m more concerned about teaching, details and emphasizing the early development of our 2010 football team. The minute you step on the field in Latrobe (in July for training camp), you’re competing for work, you’re competing to make it, you’re competing to face the challenges of the season.”

Hines Ward weighed in on the situation today...

“But you would like to have that (starting) quarterback named so you can get in and see him on a daily basis,” Ward said. “That’s why we pay coach all of the money, to make that decision.”

Dennis Dixon as Oregon's starting QB was not only famous for his arm strength and executing a crafty spread offense like the Steelers possess, but he was also famous for his statue of liberty play that allowed him to walk into the endzone against the Michigan Wolverines in 2007 .

Dennis managed to get his first and only start last season, unfortunately for him he drew the shortest straw in regards to his opponent. Talk about drawing the meanest bull in the rodeo, yep you guessed it, his first start was against the dreaded Ravens defense. Dennis however made a solid contribution taking the game into overtime before throwing an INT that cost the Steelers the game.

Enter Byron Leftwich, former Jaguars, Falcons, Steelers and Buccaneers; Byron has played 57 games on 4 teams in 7 Seasons. Last season Byron surpassed the 10,000 yard mark with a 42-yard touchdown pass to TE Kellen Winslow.

Byron managed to jack the Buc's offense to being 4th best last season, while himself being ranked the 3rd best QB in yards and TD's combined prior to being benched during the Giants game in week 3; never to see the field of play again. The Buc's elected to go with mobility over a pure pocket passing QB.

During the Steelers Super Bowl run in 08 Byron played a role in filling in for Ben against the Redskins. Byron led the Steelers to victory which started with a touchdown drive thanks to a 50-yard bomb to Nate Washington, and Willie Parker running it in from the 1. Ben was 5-of-17 for 50 yards and an INT, while Leftwich was 7-of-10 for 129 yards and 1 TD. Byron's rating that game was 145.8, interestingly enough Byron also managed 153.5 rating against the Bengals.

Tomlin however is not clowning around despite the circus like atmosphere revolving around Ben’s suspension. Tomlin knows he has a tough decision to make and flip flopping around that decision does not a great leader make.

The sky is the limit regarding Dixon’s upside, Byron has the proven experience, now all we can do is speculate as to who will start until the Steeler head coach declares who will be #1. I love this game~!!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/404367-mike-tomlin-were-kind-of-making-it-up-as-we-go-along

BuddhaBus
06-11-2010, 09:10 AM
At this point, I feel comfortable with either Leftwich or Dixon behind center for the reasons stated above. I think Batch's most productive days as a player are behind him now and there are durability concerns with him now as well. I, like many here, would like to see him retire once Ben returns from his suspension and move into a coaching role with the team. Time will tell if this will happen, but I'm certain Batch is the odd man out at this juncture once Ben is back.

steelpride12
06-11-2010, 09:14 AM
At this point, I feel comfortable with either Leftwich or Dixon behind center for the reasons stated above. I think Batch's most productive days as a player are behind him now and there are durability concerns with him now as well. I, like many here, would like to see him retire once Ben returns from his suspension and move into a coaching role with the team. Time will tell if this will happen, but I'm certain Batch is the odd man out at this juncture once Ben is back.
Batch is just too injury prone to throw him to the wolves next season so either starting Dixon or Lefty is the right choice. I hope Batch would retire as a Steeler, but he wants to play week 1 he wants to still be out there so I wouldn't be surprised if sat patiently waiting of course if anything went wrong with the starting two QB's.

stlrtruck
06-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't mind Lefty being #1, but I was hoping - deep down inside - that Dixon would be given another opportunity to show what he can do on the field as the #1 and let Lefty beat him out at camp.

venom
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Same here , Im very comfy with Leftwich behind center . 4-0 BABY !!!!!!

steelpride12
06-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I still love having a veteran in who already has proven he can win with the Steelers over Dixon, but at the same time Dixon is our future so why not play him now? Either way im fine with who plays as long as they are successful and lead us to at least a 2 and 2 record or better!

HometownGal
06-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Agreed. :thumbsup: Though I've said it many times that I don't believe Batch to be a viable QB (and I never did) - he is excellent coaching material and I think he would be a huge asset to the Steelers staff.

I'm 100% comfortable with Lefty behind center to start the first 4 games of the season.

siss
06-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Lefty is fine as long as he knows he's just borrowing the car and Ben is responsible for driving to the super bowl

ALLD
06-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Batch is still around because he is the team player's rep for the NFLPA and also his community service. It's all LEfty's to win or lose. He makes a big mistake and Dixon is next.