PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notes: LeBeau's in limbo?

LLT
01-25-2011, 07:18 AM
Steelers Notes: LeBeau's in limbo?
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
Monday January 24, 2011 11:50 PM

PITTSBURGH -- Dick LeBeau said last week that he has no plans to retire even though he’ll be 74 next year. But if he returns in 2011, will it be with the Steelers?

“First of all, someone has to want you to coach,” LeBeau, the highly regarded defensive coordinator, said this past Thursday.

It’s hard to imagine the Steelers not wanting to bring back LeBeau, especially if they go on to win Super Bowl XLV. This season, the Steelers ranked No. 2 in total defense, No. 1 against the run and No. 1 in scoring defense. But LeBeau’s current contract expires at the end of this season.

Read More:
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2011/january/24/steelers-notes-lebeaus-in-limbo.html

TroysBarber
01-25-2011, 07:31 AM
In the unlikely event the Steelers wouldn’t renew LeBeau’s contract, there are reports out of Arizona that Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt would hire him in a heartbeat.

In the unlikely event the Steelers wouldn’t renew LeBeau’s contract, any of the other 31 teams would hire him in a heartbeat.

LLT
01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
I think that the Rooneys and LeBeau ahve already had this discussion. If we win the SB...Lebeau might hang it up.

SteelerSal
01-25-2011, 07:48 AM
If he does hang it up..Butler would likely take over and the defense will hardly skip a beat....IMO

The Duke
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I think that the Rooneys and LeBeau ahve already had this discussion. If we win the SB...Lebeau might hang it up.

Didn't he says he would still coach next year? think it was a recent quote too....

He's too much of a classy man, if his contract isn't renewed (yeah, how likely is that) he will retire

I'm pretty confident we'll still have him on the sidelines next season

steeldevil
01-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I think LeBeau won't retire until Farrior, Polamalu, Hampton, Smith, Keisel, Harrison, or Ike retire. He doesn't want to leave those older guys I don't think. But hell who knows he is old so maybe he would retire if we win. It is definitely up to him, The Steelers wont fire him and I very seriously doubt that he wants to go anywhere else.

vader29
01-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I think he could coach forever like Paterno if he wanted to.

GodfatherofSoul
01-25-2011, 11:39 AM
It does seem a little suspect that his contract is already in its last year. Anyone know the history on renewing asst coach contracts? I thought it was 2 years out for head coaches.

fansince'76
01-25-2011, 11:45 AM

That's my thinking as well - I think it's a pretty strong possibility LeBeau retires if we win XLV.

venom
01-25-2011, 12:23 PM
If LeBeau does retire after the Super Bowl is over and the Rooneys and the Steelers know it , look for a shut out in the game , lol .

P.S. I see him staying a few years longer .

HometownGal
01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
If he does hang it up..Butler would likely take over and the defense will hardly skip a beat....IMO

This. ^^

I think if we do win the big game, Papa Lebeau may consider retirement but in the event he wants to come back, I believe the Rooneys would welcome him with open arms.

SMR
01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I think he could coach forever like Paterno if he wanted to.

That's a hearty thought, pal!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Talk is that if LeBeau signs another contract, DB Coach Ray Horton will be a sought after guy as a DC.

Merchant
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I knew it. Bires wrote this. Lebeau already said he'll stay if the Steelers want him to. And obviously they do.