PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Flozell Adams shows effort we didn't always see in Dallas

Merchant
01-25-2011, 12:38 AM
PITTSBURGH — After Antonio Brown stumbled out of bounds at the end of his game-clinching catch-and-run on third down, tackle Flozell Adams sprinted about 10 yards to celebrate with the rookie receiver.

Adams pumped his right fist the entire way.

When he arrived, Adams greeted Brown with a hug — and a head butt.

Finally, Adams knew he was going to the Super Bowl

In 189 games spanning 12 seasons with the Cowboys, Adams celebrated one playoff victory. In one season with Pittsburgh, he already has won two postseason games.

For now, the sweetest is Pittsburgh’s 24-19 win Sunday night over the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game.

As the final seconds ticked away, Adams could barely contain his excitement. Anyone wearing black and gold received a hug, including running back Rashard Mendenhall or tight end Heath Miller.

When the game ended and his teammates congregated near midfield to celebrate, Adams walked toward the end zone alone with his thoughts.

He thought about all of the games and practices since he first put on a pair of shoulder pads. He thought about the good times, like being drafted 38th overall by the Cowboys in 1998 and winning 13 games in 2007, earning the NFC’s top seed.

He thought about the five Pro Bowls he has played in. And he thought about the bruises, sprains and assorted injuries that have stolen a little of his athleticism each year.

“When I started my career, I figured it would only be a matter of time before I played in the Super Bowl,” he said. “I’ve been waiting my whole career for this, and it feels great.”

Adams helped Pittsburgh dominate the line of scrimmage in the first half, when the Steelers surged to a 24-0 lead.

In the first quarter, the Steelers ran behind Adams, playing right tackle, 11 times for 40 yards. In the second quarter, the Steelers ran behind Adams four times for 41 yards, including a 35-yard run by Mendenhall, who finished with 121 yards on 27 carries.

Adams bullied defensive end Mike DeVito and linebackers David Harris and Calvin Pace. Adams sealed the corner numerous times on sweeps around right end. He made blocks on the second level against linebackers, showing agility and effort we didn’t always see in his last few seasons in Dallas.

Realistically, it was time for Adams to leave Dallas.

Read more at: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/the-game/20110124-taylor-steelers_flozell-adams-shows-effort-we-didn_t-always-see-in-dallas.ece

tube517
01-25-2011, 03:04 AM
When he arrived, Adams greeted Brown with a hug — and a head butt.

Did someone check Antonio after that hit? Flozell is a giant and Brown is like a waterbug compared to Flo.

Then, Adams grabbed the AFC Championship trophy and pretended to sneak out a side door with it. Adams returned, handing the silver trophy to another teammate, a huge smile on his face.

Would anyone really try and stop the big fella??

Galax Steeler
01-25-2011, 03:38 AM
I would love to see Adams get that ring he has done alot for us this year and helping us reach the Superbowl.

HometownGal
01-25-2011, 06:24 AM
I adore The Hotel and he has done a stellar job for us this season. :applaudit: I hope the Steelers find a place for him on the OL next season when/if Colon returns as Flo was meant to wear the black 'n gold. :tt02: Hope his dream comes true! :pray:

Wheelz
01-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Wow, that forum is comedy gold. :)