PDA

View Full Version : Even if we DO win the superbowl it will bittersweet because...

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
...Hines Ward vowed to retire if we win it one more time. Just thought I'd point that out guys. I will be excited to see what our young guns can do if it happens. Discuss!

vader29
01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I know he mentioned retirement before if he would win one more, but I think he will keep going and play out his contract.

steelreserve
01-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Well, it was bound to happen at some point. I think this year was kind of the tipping point anyway to where it's all downhill for him. We've proven we can win without him being the focal point of the offense. Still, he's a hell of a guy and I'll miss seeing him out there.

Basically, you can also take everything I just said, back up to 2005, and apply it to Bettis instead.

Merchant
01-24-2011, 11:02 PM
He needs to stay one more season to mentor the receiving corps. They're good, but they're young. Wallace is a sophomore and Brown and Sanders are rookies. They need to mature into leaders, but I think that'll be tough without Ward's guidance.

steeldevil
01-24-2011, 11:04 PM
While it wouldn't surprise me if he did, I think if we win it he will stay at least 1 more year.

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
I think it's wishful thinking. It always makes sense to want to go out on top. And Hines is on his last legs folks, he's been good enough for us this season, but I haven't seen him this sluggish since 2007, and even in '07 he was a lot better. Heck, this might be his most unproductive year since the first couple of year he came into the league.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/steelers-wr-hines-ward-eyes-retirement/

“I don’t want to be like Brett Favre,” Ward told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I don’t want to be like Old Yeller, when they take you behind the barn and shoot you.”
“If I win three Super Bowls, I’m retiring… I’m telling you that right now.”

Folks, he seems pretty affirmative of this decision.

pepsyman1
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
He needs to stay one more season to mentor the receiving corps. They're good, but they're young. Wallace is a sophomore and Brown and Sanders are rookies. They need to mature into leaders, but I think that'll be tough without Ward's guidance.

But they could have SWEED back to lead them!!!! :sarcasm: LOL

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Ward has less than 50 receptions to hit the 1,000 mark. I really doubt that he retires with that milestone so near. I think that is the lock that will get him to the HOF, so expect to see him 1 more season if there isnt a lockout.

NCSteeler
01-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Well, it was bound to happen at some point. I think this year was kind of the tipping point anyway to where it's all downhill for him. We've proven we can win without him being the focal point of the offense. Still, he's a hell of a guy and I'll miss seeing him out there.

Basically, you can also take everything I just said, back up to 2005, and apply it to Bettis instead.

He may not seem like the focus on offense, but he still draws the Ds #1 or 2 CB, which helps the young guys beat the #3 or 4. If he leaves next year, we'll be fine, but it will take some getting used to for brown and sanders.

Galax Steeler
01-25-2011, 03:44 AM
We know it is going to happen one day so he should go out on top with a Superbowl victory.

venom
01-25-2011, 05:55 AM
I would take the ring in a heartbeat.

HometownGal
01-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Though losing Hines to retirement would hurt just like when The Bus retired, we all know he isn't going to play forever. Somehow, I think him retiring from the field wouldn't equate to him retiring from the locker room or some behind the scenes mentoring. He loves this team and these guys just as much (if not more) than the Steelers love him so I just can't see him fading into the sunset.

On a side note - I think he'd make a great analyst! :thumbsup:

TroysBarber
01-25-2011, 07:49 AM
On a side note - I think he'd make a great analyst

But an even better receiver coach. He's been teaching young receivers for years.

JonM229
01-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Woah, woah, woah. Ward may retire with another SB win? Go Steelers!!!

tube517
01-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Hines will do what Hines wants to do. Let's focus on Green Bay then worry about #86 later.

zulater
01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Ward has less than 50 receptions to hit the 1,000 mark. I really doubt that he retires with that milestone so near. I think that is the lock that will get him to the HOF, so expect to see him 1 more season if there isnt a lockout.

Yep that was my first thought too. Not that Hines is a stat whore, but I'm pretty sure the coaching staff will make it known he's wanted back, so he wont be overstaying his welcome.

Win or lose this Super Bowl I think Hines comes back and plays next season ( if there is a next season) and that will be his last season.

BigPoppaG
01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Hines Ward = Steelers Receivers Coach...has a nice ring to it.

Psycho Ward 86
01-25-2011, 05:31 PM

It doesn't appear to be about statistics with him at all. Brett Favre could learn a thing or two about that...

Nadroj 20
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
He did say it but I wouldnt be surprised if he comes back if we win.

fansince'76
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Not sure what his post-football playing aspirations are, but he'd probably make a hell of an assistant coach.

stillers4me
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
He did say it but I wouldnt be surprised if he comes back if we win.

He still seems to be having a good time out there. I don't think he's going anywhere yet. Lebeau, either.

NJarhead
01-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Woah, woah, woah. Ward may retire with another SB win? Go Steelers!!!

lmao. You dick.

Count Steeler
01-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Winning the Super Bowl may cause more than Ward to retire. However, we are a team and the goal is not just to make the Super Bowl but to win it. As much as I would miss Ward as a player, I would love to see him stay on as a wide receivers coach where he could still flash that smile when one of his young guns pops a linebacker to spring Mendenhall for a 20 yard gain. Love ya Hines. Thanks for your years (and hopefully future years) of service.

Kaeg
01-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Yea, I'm worried about more than just losing Hines too. All the aging people and free agents we have. Among others, Aaron Smith comes to mind. Anyone know what his outlook is? Guys, we just CAN'T win the Superbowl! We'll lose everybody!
:heh:

ALLD
01-25-2011, 05:55 PM
I remember when Franco finally hung up his cleets just short of Jim Brown's all-time rushing record. He said that personal stats didn't matter as much as four Super Bowl victories. I say he should have skipped the Seahawks, but the City of Champions has long forgiven him for that mistake.

Thanks for the memories Hines, enjoy your last game.