PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger holds no ill feelings toward Terry Bradshaw

LLT
06-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger holds no ill feelings toward Terry Bradshaw
USAToday
by Sean Leahy

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said he does not hold a grudge against Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, who said in April that he was "learning not to like" Roethlisberger.

After a Georgia prosecutor declined to charge Roethlisberger with sexual assault in April, Bradshaw heavily criticized the Steelers QB and said that Roethlisberger didn't like him. Bradshaw offered to help Roethlisberger, but said he didn't expect to hear from him.

Roethlisberger told KDKA-TV he was not intending to disrespect Bradshaw:

"A lot of people criticize me, that's their right. That's what we do in this country. I hold no ill feelings toward Terry Bradshaw. He's the Steelers quarterback of all time. He's whose shoes we're all trying to fill as quarterbacks.

"And if there was ever anything between us, I don't know where it came from -- but I would apologize if there was anything said or did."

Roethlisberger said he has relied on former coach Bill Cowher for advice as he tries to rehabilitate his image in the wake of his suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/06/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-holds-no-ill-feelings-toward-terry-bradshaw/1

cold-hard-steel
06-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Ben has a very good support network available to him , if he chooses to utilize it . Cower can not be a bad influence i'm sure . T.B. has a lot of experience to draw from , as far as being a Pittsburgh celebrity . I think that Ben will be fine , if he continues to go in his current direction . I wish him all the best , and hope he uses all the tools at his disposal .

BuddhaBus
06-11-2010, 09:49 AM
I wish him all the best , and hope he uses all the tools at his disposal .

Well... all but ONE tool. :wink02:

TroysBarber
06-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Bradshaw really ought to stay out of this. As I recall, he had a public image that wasn't all that great early in his career either. He was considered to be a "dumb QB", and even had the home crowd cheer when he left a game due to injury. I'm not talking about the customary cheer for support, but cheering BECAUSE he was hurt and had to leave the game.

PalmerSteel
06-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Bradshaw really ought to stay out of this. As I recall, he had a public image that wasn't all that great early in his career either. He was considered to be a "dumb QB", and even had the home crowd cheer when he left a game due to injury. I'm not talking about the customary cheer for support, but cheering BECAUSE he was hurt and had to leave the game.
this is the EXACT reason he SHOULD get in contact with terry. terry has been there, done that, many times over. through the thick and thin, ben could learn a thing or 2 from terry. IF THEY DO GET TOGETHER, HIDE YOUR DAUGHTERS TERRY!!!! (sorry, couldnt resist).

BuddhaBus
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
this is the EXACT reason he SHOULD get in contact with terry. terry has been there, done that, many times over. through the thick and thin, ben could learn a thing or 2 from terry. IF THEY DO GET TOGETHER, HIDE YOUR DAUGHTERS TERRY!!!! (sorry, couldnt resist).

I agree. Bradshaw could possibly mentor him about avoiding making some of the mistakes he made and taking criticism in stride. Only good could come from this relationship, imho.

Dino 6 Rings
06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, its kind of hard for Ben to have ill feelings toward GOD!

TERRY BRADSHAW RULES!

cold-hard-steel
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Well... all but ONE tool. :wink02:

Even that tool could be used properly . Like on his golfing buddy . They should get married ! LOL

Wallace108
06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't think Ben needs advice from Cowher, Bradshaw, or anyone else on how to rehabilitate his image. Here's how he can rehabilitate his image: STOP SCREWING UP!!

siss
06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
If Ben truly has ill will for Terry then he needs to prove it. I want action from Ben not words...so prove it Ben.

steelerdude15
06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Good, glad to see this.

steelpride12
06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
As he shouldn't. Ben needed a verbal beating from someone and no one better than the face of this franchise Bradshaw. I think Ben should be looking up to him and using Bradshaw as an example of how he should be in the future. Ben should talk with him and learn a thing or two.

HometownGal
06-11-2010, 04:37 PM

And THAT, my friend, is exactly why I say the things I do about Pittsburgh fans. I remember that game very well and I was utterly disgusted by that display of utter ignorance and "what have you done for me lately-ism" that seems to infect some of the Pittsburgh sports fan base. It sickens me.

Brad was a bumpkin and because of that image, was considered dumber than a bag of hammers, though he really wasn't. Bubby Brister got that label too, and I know from experience that Walt was an extremely intelligent man.

Not that Brad was an angel because he wasn't, but he grew up and grabbed his career (and life) by the balls and became a well-respected sportscaster, as well as stinting in country music and acting. I only hope Ben learns and benefits from his example - grows up and thanks God every day for the 2nd chance he has been given. I think he realizes he's out of chances if he doesen't make good on this one. Until he shits on that second chance, I'm going to believe in him.

cold-hard-steel
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I remember Bradshaw not running the play called in . He would be in a heated discussion with Chuck on the sideline . Even though the play may have worked , and was successful , Chuck wanted to know why ? Chuck and Terry never had the greatest of relationships , but Terry always knew what could win a game . No other quarterback has won 4 superbowls till this date . If Terry wanted to talk to me , i would listen to what he had to say . Sure couldn't hurt anyway .

Thats right ! Not Joe Montanna , Joe Nameth . John Elway ,Tom Brady , Ben Roethlisberger , noone . He is a legend in these parts . You are always at the top , until somebody knocks you off . So far , that has not happened . Long live the Terr !

tube517
06-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Montana has 4 Super Bowls.

I remember Bradshaw not running the play called in . He would be in a heated discussion with Chuck on the sideline . Even though the play may have worked , and was successful , Chuck wanted to know why ? Chuck and Terry never had the greatest of relationships , but Terry always knew what could win a game . No other quarterback has won 4 superbowls till this date . If Terry wanted to talk to me , i would listen to what he had to say . Sure couldn't hurt anyway .

Thats right ! Not Joe Montanna , Joe Nameth . John Elway ,Tom Brady , Ben Roethlisberger , noone . He is a legend in these parts . You are always at the top , until somebody knocks you off . So far , that has not happened . Long live the Terr !

stillers4me
06-12-2010, 06:25 AM
I think Terry should have kept his mouth shut to begin with. If he was really interested in helping Ben, he would have contacted him privately and offered his counsel and friendship. What he did was just more "piling on Big Ben" when what he really needs is people who care about "Ben". You didn't hear Bill Cowher and Merril Hoge broadcasting what they have done for Ben.

cold-hard-steel
06-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Montana has 4 Super Bowls.

Sorry man , i was thinkin Montanna only had 3 . Well anyway , Terry was first to accomplish it . My bad .

steelcityboyzs
06-13-2010, 05:41 PM
I think Terry should have kept his mouth shut to begin with. If he was really interested in helping Ben, he would have contacted him privately and offered his counsel and friendship. What he did was just more "piling on Big Ben" when what he really needs is people who care about "Ben". You didn't hear Bill Cowher and Merril Hoge broadcasting what they have done for Ben.I agree 100%

86WARD
06-13-2010, 06:35 PM
I think Ben's on his way to straightening his act out...and by act, I don't mean the one in his pants.

Chidi29
06-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Agreed, Bradshaw got a really bad rap about being dumb but he really wasn't. Noll let his QBs call plays. You can't be an idiot and do that to help lead your team to four championships.

tube517
06-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I wish Terry was the only one w/4 but sadly, that QB from the Niners has 4 rings.

Sorry man , i was thinkin Montanna only had 3 . Well anyway , Terry was first to accomplish it . My bad .

Prok
06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I thought Ben handled the questions great and gave good answers. I didn't care for Terry seeming to pile on back then and still don't. If he had a problem with Ben he should have taken it to Ben instead of contributing to the media pile-on IMO.

That being said, i believe these 2 will one day shake hands and be friends as well as Pittsburgh icons. We're all Steelers family as far as i'm concerned.

siss
06-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Didn't Ben And Terry shake hands at the Ravens game in 2007 when he was there?

BigNastyDefense
06-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I also think Bradshaw should have just kept his mouth shut or try to contact Ben Roethlisberger privately. All he was doing, even if he didn't mean to do so, is join the media pile-on at the time.

I don't think Ben has ever had any ill-will towards Bradshaw. I think it's more Bradshaw having ill-will towards Ben Roethlisberger. I think Ben said once that he wanted to break all of Bradshaw's records. I doubt TB liked hearing that. Also Big Ben has had a lot of early career success, when Bradshaw struggled early in his career and was benched a few times and almost lost the job completely.

I love TB, he's one of my all-time favorites. But I don't look at him as a Steelers legend when he's on television, I look at him as a member of the media because that's what he is.

Chidi29
06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
A poster (Not me) from another board posted a very interesting and eerily similar quote from Bradshaw's book.

After returning from injury during the1973 season..."Everything was going south. I threw 7 interceptions in the first two games after getting back in the lineup, then threw three more in a wild playoff game we lost to the Oakland Raiders. I was just as erratic off the field. The truth of the matter is, I had separated myself from God. I tried to be one of the boys and went to every honky tonk I could find and chased women and behaved in a way that was totally alien to anything I had ever known before. I--the Big I--was in control of my life, and frankly, my life was out of control."

Doesn't appear that Big Ben is the first QB to fall into the trap of being a QB.

Prok
06-14-2010, 12:38 PM
A poster (Not me) from another board posted a very interesting and eerily similar quote from Bradshaw's book.

After returning from injury during the1973 season..."Everything was going south. I threw 7 interceptions in the first two games after getting back in the lineup, then threw three more in a wild playoff game we lost to the Oakland Raiders. I was just as erratic off the field. The truth of the matter is, I had separated myself from God. I tried to be one of the boys and went to every honky tonk I could find and chased women and behaved in a way that was totally alien to anything I had ever known before. I--the Big I--was in control of my life, and frankly, my life was out of control."

Doesn't appear that Big Ben is the first QB to fall into the trap of being a QB.

Excellent find, Chidi.

Prok
06-14-2010, 01:04 PM
I also think Bradshaw should have just kept his mouth shut or try to contact Ben Roethlisberger privately. All he was doing, even if he didn't mean to do so, is join the media pile-on at the time.

I don't think Ben has ever had any ill-will towards Bradshaw. I think it's more Bradshaw having ill-will towards Ben Roethlisberger. I think Ben said once that he wanted to break all of Bradshaw's records. I doubt TB liked hearing that. Also Big Ben has had a lot of early career success, when Bradshaw struggled early in his career and was benched a few times and almost lost the job completely.

I love TB, he's one of my all-time favorites. But I don't look at him as a Steelers legend when he's on television, I look at him as a member of the media because that's what he is.

What part of clowns town you from? I'm currently in the Parma area, myself.

Michael
06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
I think Terry should have kept his mouth shut to begin with. If he was really interested in helping Ben, he would have contacted him privately and offered his counsel and friendship. What he did was just more "piling on Big Ben" when what he really needs is people who care about "Ben". You didn't hear Bill Cowher and Merril Hoge broadcasting what they have done for Ben.

Excellent Point, Terry was not Mr. Stability when he was Ben's age.

BlastFurnace
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Terry didn't like John Elway for some reason either. I'm sure that Ben has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, but it really doesn't matter if these two guys have a great relationship.

SMR
06-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Didn't Ben And Terry shake hands at the Ravens game in 2007 when he was there?

It was probably only out of politeness. After all, they were on national tv!

siss
06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
It was probably only out of politeness. After all, they were on national tv!

I thought Ben was impolite arrogant cocky Jack Ass

stillers4me
06-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I thought Ben was impolite arrogant cocky Jack Ass

You forgot borish.

siss
06-14-2010, 07:03 PM
If I never hear the word borish again it would be wonderful!

Pi Kapp Steeler
06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Ben should of listen to Terry and everyone else at the begining of his career. Its too bad his ego blew up