PDA

View Full Version : The Packers and their 12 "championships"

steelreserve
01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
One thing I forgot about playing Green Bay is that now for the next two weeks straight, we get to listen to all the jerkoffs whining, "You know, the Packers actually have 12 championships if you count back to the 1920s, so we've actually won the most ..."

No, dipshit. Nobody cares how many times you won the semi-pro rugby championship back before they invented electricity. There were 10 teams and no playoffs, and the best team in the NFL would get blown out by the worst team in the WAC today. They were the champions of something, but not professional football. No, it doesn't really count for shit, and nobody cares. Go home and die in a fire.

steeldevil
01-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I can understand if you don't approve of their championships from like the 40's back. I can buy your beef there. But I believe they won 3 championships right before the Super Bowl was "invented." If the Super Bowl was "invented" like 6 or so years earlier then they would have 6 Super Bowl victories. How would you feel about them then?

I get that it is natural for us Steelers fans to try to make our team seem so much better than any other team, but calling out the most historic team in NFL history is kinda crazy.

If the steelers had won NFL championships in the 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s how would you feel about those titles?

pepsyman1
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
No, dipshit. Nobody cares how many times you won the semi-pro rugby championship back before they invented electricity. There were 10 teams and no playoffs, and the best team in the NFL would get blown out by the worst team in the WAC today. They were the champions of something, but not professional football. No, it doesn't really count for shit, and nobody cares.

LMAO... I'm friggin' crying that's so funny. (the die in the fire comment is in poor taste though) I don't care what they tell anyone....The STEELERS not the Packers are the monolith of the NFL.

salamander
01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
That's a little harsh, imo. Steeldevil's right... what if the Steelers had won a championship in the pre-Super Bowl era?

Psycho Ward 86
01-24-2011, 10:42 PM
I can understand if you don't approve of their championships from like the 40's back. I can buy your beef there. But I believe they won 3 championships right before the Super Bowl was "invented." If the Super Bowl was "invented" like 6 or so years earlier then they would have 6 Super Bowl victories. How would you feel about them then?

I get that it is natural for us Steelers fans to try to make our team seem so much better than any other team, but calling out the most historic team in NFL history is kinda crazy.

If the steelers had won NFL championships in the 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60s how would you feel about those titles?

Just when I was about to backup steelreserve 100%....you make a pretty good point...

BigNastyDefense
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Here is the way I look at it:

I will give them their three Super Bowl Championships. The Super Bowl era is considered the "modern era" of football, many people don't count football before the 70's. The Super Bowl era is when professional football became popular and started to become king, before then college football was king, and many players who were drafted never played because they could make more money with their degrees than they could playing "professional" football.

I will admit, from a historical standpoint the Packers have a total of 12 championships. But like it was said above, there wasn't even a playoff for the championship so long back, so how can you really count those in?

And if it were the Steelers with those old championships, I would feel the same way. To me, Super Bowls is what matters.

Kind of like how people say anything that happened in college football before 1960 is historical, but really doesn't count anymore.

steelersfan425
01-24-2011, 10:44 PM
atleast i was alive for all our championships thats what i tell packers fans

steelreserve
01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Before you start talking about "what if the Steelers won in the '30s," consider for a moment what complete shitheads the Green Bay fans are about it. If the Steelers won some garbage championships 80 years ago, I'm pretty certain I'd maybe mention it as a footnote every once in a while, like most fans of teams that were successful back then. That's it. Packers fans bring it up ALL THE TIME, like it was fucking yesterday.

No other fans do this. The Bears won a lot of titles back then, and you never hear them jawing about it. They have teams in their own generation that they can bring up. The Lions won a bunch of titles, the Browns won a bunch of titles, the Redskins won a bunch of titles ... hell, even the Eagles and Browns won a few. Actually, PRETTY MUCH EVERY TEAM THAT PLAYED IN THE PRE-SUPER BOWL ERA WON AT LEAST THREE OR FOUR CHAMPIONSHIPS, AND PACKERS FANS ARE THE ONLY ONES THAT HAVE TO KEEP RUNNING THEIR MOUTHS ABOUT IT. It does not make them special, just dumb and annoying.

I'm kind of split about the early '60s titles. Yeah, they have more credibility than the ones from the '20s and '30s, but there was still half the competition just because there were flat-out fewer teams. I am not terribly impressed.

Edman
01-25-2011, 12:35 AM
I trace the modern Era of Football back to the 1958 Championship between the Colts and Giants. Before that season, Professional Football was pretty much meh in the U.S. That game legitimized the league and the sport. They don't call it the "Greatest game ever played" for nothing. It started a rapid growth of popularity in the sport of football in the next decade, with the creation of a rival league (AFL) in 1960, and the rest in history.

A good half of the Packers' "Championships" came before that time. For some of them, there was only a One game Championship with no playoffs. For the other ones, they were NAMED the NFL Champs, no questions asked. If that happened in this day and age, it wouldn't be remotely acceptable. Back in those days, football was bush league, with some teams even folding in the middle of the season. Some played more than others.

So yes, some of those Packers' championships are legitimate, but let's get real now.

Aussie_steeler
01-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Its easy to differentiate IMO.

There were championships then and there are championships now. ( AFC and NFC)

There were no Superbowls then and there are Superbowls now.

Count them seperately.

( my argument then suddenly becomes flawed because that would mean you should count XFL, UFL and NFL Europe championships........... I'm confused )

tube517
01-25-2011, 03:09 AM
Green Bay has 12 NFL Championships*. Just change the title of your thread and then this issue is closed.

The asterisk is a powerful thing. Ask the Pats*.

Pittsburgh has 6 Super Bowls. Nobody will ever take that away.

TroysBarber
01-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Sorry, but the Packers have every right to claim 12 championships. No, there weren't playoffs or SBs in the early years, but how many Penn State or Pitt fans discredit their championships? Pitt and Penn State didn't play in playoff or championship games either. The packers did what they had to do to win their championships. Do we ignore the Steelers 1st 6 championships? There have been rule changes since we last won a SB, but we still claim those Lombardies. Sorry, but we have to be fair.

CPanther95
01-25-2011, 08:33 AM
I count them all. We'll tie the Giants in 3rd with a 7th win.

But if you are going to split them up, it makes more sense to divide it at the AFL/NFL merger, not the "Super Bowl Era". In that case, Green Bay would only have one post-merger championship.

Iron Steeler
01-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Every time this topic comes up either with Browns/Giants/Packer fans , i just tell em . Ya you guys have 12 championships . Although the first few were won during a time when the NFL was just getting there feet wet as a league. The blueprints/rules/playcalling/ of the league were just geting started , almost like a rough draft. I am proud to say that my steeler won 6 Superbowls in a Era of football were the competition and athletes were at there very best.

You won in a few in the Rough Draft era... We won 6 in the Fully Edited NFL

CPanther95
01-25-2011, 09:44 AM
I am proud to say that my steeler won 6 Superbowls in a Era of football were the competition and athletes were at there very best.

You won in a few in the Rough Draft era... We won 6 in the Fully Edited NFL

We won 3 back when football was at its best - more than anyone else.

Dino 6 Rings
01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Read My Signature...Enough Said on the Topic By Me.

venom
01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
How many " championships " do the Browns have ? lol . The Cleveland Browns has 8 championships and that means nothing .

Chidi29
01-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I think you have to give them credit. Those were extremely difficult times for all the teams back then. They had to go through a lot of personal adversity let alone dealing with other teams. I just finished a book about the early years of pro football that talked about all this.

Plus, they were a small area team even after all the other semi-pro teams were phased out. They didn't have the luxury of being able to find players from a large area.

ALLD
01-25-2011, 03:57 PM
The Pirates won the World Series in 1903.

The national media cannot bring itself to admit that the Steelers are once again in the Super Bowl. And playing a hyped up Cinderella team at that. This will be like the Seahawks or the 1979 Rams.

steelreserve
01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I count them all. We'll tie the Giants in 3rd with a 7th win.

But if you are going to split them up, it makes more sense to divide it at the AFL/NFL merger, not the "Super Bowl Era". In that case, Green Bay would only have one post-merger championship.

I think that at the very least, you have to make a distinction between the Super Bowl era and the pre-Super Bowl era, simply because of the league structure and number of teams.

Think about it -- before they had the Super Bowl, winning the NFL championship was basically the same thing as winning the NFC championship today.