PDA

View Full Version : Were you NERVOUS ?

Moose
01-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Okay, it was the beginning of the game. I had a good, cold drink in my hand ready for the kick-off. We came down the field, smacking them in the mouth, scored ! Then we handled them on their possession. Then we came back and smacked them in the mouth again......and again....and again !!! I actually was sitting back in my chair, drinking, relaxing and watching what I thought was a good butt kicking. Then came the 2nd half kick off. Then came the Jets, then came the turnovers, then came the Jets, and again there I was.....on the edge of my chair watching them score and US NOT !! All I was thinking of was Holmes in the endzone making a acropatic catch with NO TIME on the clock !! Our 'conservative' play again !! I drink a bottle of vodka, a few beers, kicked the house cat, threw pillows, newspapers, anything that was on the end table or within arms reach ! Another typical Steeler's game. Can we not win a game by 20 pts., these damn blood pressure medicine is costly and I'm sure I'm not supposed to take them by the handfulls with alcohol !! GO STEELERS !!!! Only 1 more step on the STAIRWAY TO SEVEN !!!

willie
01-24-2011, 08:11 PM
This pretty much mirrors my game day experience + throw in some chest pain

BPS3akaWirels3
01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
So true.. I got home tonight and saw football looking party cups on the kitchen table and looked at my wife and said "You know we are not having a Super Bowl Party?" "No way!! I didn't go to the one in 2009 and I'm not having one this time. You know how I get." If I can't be at the game then I must be alone and concentrating on the game. I spent 3 hours of last nights game standing in front of the tv and 30 minutes sitting.. I almost threw up my coffee because my stomach was crap...

HometownGal
01-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous in the last 7 minutes, but I didn't stop believing (I never do, so call me a cheerleader) and I knew deep in my black 'n gold heart that we would win that game. Ben and the team simply were NOT going to be denied. :tt02:

tube517
01-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Has there ever been a playoff game that I've ever been not nervous? Shoot, even the Super Bowls of the 70's were nerve wracking.

oneforthetoe
01-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Has there ever been a playoff game that I've ever been not nervous? Shoot, even the Super Bowls of the 70's were nerve wracking.

Yea, not as nervous as I was seconds before Jackie Smith dropped that TD pass in Super Bowl XIII. Still took a few years off me though.

NJarhead
01-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Right before we gave up the safety I was vaguely concerned (on the 1/2 yard line). Once we gave them the 2 points, I became more concerned. Once they scored the TD on that #$%&ing pick play (Man, there has GOT to be a better way to recognize and defend that), that's when I began to get nervous. I was more afraid of a mistake than anything and the more time that ticked off the clock the more nervous about that mistake I became, fearing that they'd get a pick six or a scoop and scoot with little or no time left. I still was in touch with my feelings that my team had been there before. Advantage: Steelers. We are winners and more than capable of getting this done. I knew the Jets and their fans were sweating, so I remained calm. Wish my guests would have. lol

ALLD
01-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes, we are reliving the 1970s again. That team was a dynasty, but the closest thing to a blowout was the 1979 SB when we beat the Rams, but were down at halftime. Back then I didn't get nevous because I never knew the Steelers to come up short in a Super Bowl. It was destiny.

XxKnightxX
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
After halftime I got nervous. Because I knew this massive turnaround would happen. I even predicted the safety. You can never get too confident thats why its a 60 min ballgame. Hell Id be even nervous if we played the 76 bucs in Happy Valley with 100 Percent Steeler attendance.

The Duke
01-24-2011, 09:09 PM
In the last 3 minutes I knew ben would bail us out, like he always does

And while the defense was giving up all those yards I just kept looking at that clock slowly (fast really) tick down

So, nervous? Nah. Stressed, yeah

GoSlash27
01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I was cool. You folks know we don't get to have a blowout. It's *always* got to come down to the last 2 minutes.
We did struggle keeping the energy up at the local Steeler bar, tho'.

Pete The Greek
01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Me = no. There was no way the Steelers were going blow a 24 point lead.

But my brother in-law drove me nuts with "they are going to blow this" and other negative crap that got under my skin. I had to tell him to knock off. No wonder why I prefer to watch the games on my own or with my brother.

Acumen
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I love this team because you can almost guarantee that whether we're up or down by 30, the game will always end up being decided by less than 7 points. Always makes for an exciting game.

Was I nervous? Hell yes, but my confidence in the boys didn't waver for a second.

JayC
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
i was nervous even when it was 24-0. my thoughts usually gravitate towards worst possible scenario but i definately was in total shock as they kept getting closer and closer. i don't know if i could have watched anymore if ben didn't complete the 3rd down pass.

pepsyman1
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I wasn't nervous...I was friggin AGGRAVATED that we had gone back to putting our cornerbacks in the adjoining zipcode and the occasional blitz we were bringing was always the obvious extra linebacker standing near the line instead of mixing everything up and being aggressive like we did until 1:00 minute left in the first half when we decided that winning convincingly would be too easy. We had corner blitzes, safety blitzes, linebacker blitzes, cornerbacks playing closer coverage (even if we playing a little off, it wasn't 10-12 yards) I also thought our play calling in the 2nd half was pretty poor, very few possession passes. Mostly Ben going back to always looking for the homerun ball as opposed to the relentless way we mixed it up the first half. I don't know why our coaching staff seems to lack the killer instinct to be able to finish off a beaten opponent.

Merchant
01-24-2011, 10:59 PM
I was nervous right before the 3rd and 6 pass to Brown. All I could think about was, if we don't convert this, the Jets O has plenty of time to pull out one of those miracle drives like the one in Houston earlier in the season. Or the one in Denver where they threw it deep on 4th down and got the Pass Interference penalty in the redzone. But I also thought.. In Ben we Trust. And voila.

stillers4me
01-24-2011, 11:23 PM
One of the gals at our table looked at me me and said, "sue.... breathe!"

NCSteeler
01-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Right before we gave up the safety I was vaguely concerned (on the 1/2 yard line). Once we gave them the 2 points, I became more concerned. Once they scored the TD on that #$%&ing pick play (Man, there has GOT to be a better way to recognize and defend that), that's when I began to get nervous. I was more afraid of a mistake than anything and the more time that ticked off the clock the more nervous about that mistake I became, fearing that they'd get a pick six or a scoop and scoot with little or no time left. I still was in touch with my feelings that my team had been there before. Advantage: Steelers. We are winners and more than capable of getting this done. I knew the Jets and their fans were sweating, so I remained calm. Wish my guests would have. lol

I'm a wreck before every big game, I can't even eat during the big ones. And I agree can this team not do anything the damn easy way, UGH. I love them, but they are killing me. Tonight they showed the replay of our near collapse against GB in 2009, everyone(talking heads) keeps saying they hope the SB is like that with all the excitement, NOT ME I'd like to see us blowing them out early and often.

Preach, I think that is 3 in 3 weeks?? and I can guarantee GB will use it until we can prove we can beat it(copycat league and all). Why can the defenders not recognize the play and swap from man to zone, you know what I mean don't cross just jump the other guy. Teams are getting very good at running legal versions of the pick play.

polamalubeast
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM
I was really nervous against the Cardinals in 2008, largely because of the end game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gs5IARvyZg

Its may be difficult for me in 2 weeks!

Count Steeler
01-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I wasn't nervous...I was friggin AGGRAVATED that we had gone back to putting our cornerbacks in the adjoining zipcode and the occasional blitz we were bringing was always the obvious extra linebacker standing near the line instead of mixing everything up and being aggressive like we did until 1:00 minute left in the first half when we decided that winning convincingly would be too easy. We had corner blitzes, safety blitzes, linebacker blitzes, cornerbacks playing closer coverage (even if we playing a little off, it wasn't 10-12 yards) I also thought our play calling in the 2nd half was pretty poor, very few possession passes. Mostly Ben going back to always looking for the homerun ball as opposed to the relentless way we mixed it up the first half. I don't know why our coaching staff seems to lack the killer instinct to be able to finish off a beaten opponent.

My sentiments exactly. It was obvious they did not want to get beat deep, so why not take the short game. Ward and Miller with a few runs from Mendy would have eaten the clock right up and extended our lead. This game did not have to be this close.

Moose
01-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Dang POLAMALUBEAST ---- I watched that 'big ben drive' again, and was nervous as hell again - LOL and I even knew what the outcome would be !! I remember sitting watching that game throwing down the brew....it was the longest 3 min of my life, and I do believe those 3 min. took 10 yrs of my life !! I didn't enjoy it at all !

43Hitman
01-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous in the last 7 minutes, but I didn't stop believing (I never do, so call me a cheerleader) and I knew deep in my black 'n gold heart that we would win that game. Ben and the team simply were NOT going to be denied. :tt02:

I felt the same way. Nervous, but confident we had the game in control. Was just worried about the one fluke play.

Iron Steeler
01-25-2011, 10:48 PM
great video... horrible song selection

steel striker
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm always nervous before kickoff and, the last 7-8 minutes I was pacing the floors. I just know with Ben @ the helm our chances are always pretty good to win. I guess I was really fired for that game because, what our team has gone through this season. You know making all of the so called experts look like fools.