PDA

View Full Version : Cowher-ball at it's finest

GodfatherofSoul
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm sure the point's been made plenty of times, but damn I'd like to keep the foot on the gas rather than turtling up with a big lead and *hoping* the opposing team can't score fast enough before the game's over.

fansince'76
01-24-2011, 10:37 AM
The pass on 3rd and 6 wasn't Cowherball by any means (a run up the gut for a yard and a punt would've been), but yeah, they need to step on the other team's windpipe when they get a lead like that, especially against good teams like the Jets.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
The pass on 3rd and 6 wasn't Cowherball by any means (a run up the gut for a yard and a punt would've been), but yeah, they need to step on the other team's windpipe when they get a lead like that, especially against good teams like the Jets.

IDK. I really cant recall many situations in the Cowher era where 3rd and 6 was gonna be an I formation run up the gut. More like a Shotgun formation, Verron Haynes draw for 8 yards and a 1st down...but then Cowher had a great O line and a strong RB like Haynes.

Still think that BA fooled everybody by playing a lot of Cowher ball in the 1st half and it worked great. Jets Offense were sitting getting cold on the sidelines while the steelers ground out the yards. Brilliant.

Dino 6 Rings
01-24-2011, 10:52 AM
When you have a 21 point lead at halftime, what adjustments do you make?

When you are losing by 21 at halftime, you change your entire game plan.

That is what happened and why things got out of hand a little in the 2nd half.

2nd and 8 passing play for a 1st, followed by 2 runs then a 3rd and 6 passing play is not Cowher ball at all.

SteelerEmpire
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
The slip down by Ike Taylor that resulted in the Holmes TD and the bad snap by "ski" at the 1 that resulted in a safety; self imposed mistakes that resulted in 9 of their points. Then the "sit on the score" strategy til the clock runs out - brought back a Cowher flash back. I thought, and were hoping, we were gonna go "New England"on em' and run up to 50 points... But the best thing we got out of it was a trip to the SB and a chance to make corrections.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2011, 10:58 AM
2nd and 8 passing play for a 1st, followed by 2 runs then a 3rd and 6 passing play is not Cowher ball at all.

No, but the entire first half looked like Cowherball to me and I think it was a great surprise.

The 2nd and 8 was perfect time for play action and I said so from my sofa just before it happened. The 3rd and 6 empty backfield was shocking, as the only run threat was a QB draw. Good work by Ben to get outside the pocket and drive the final dagger.

Dino 6 Rings
01-24-2011, 10:59 AM
No, but the entire first half looked like Cowherball to me and I think it was a great surprise.

The 2nd and 8 was perfect time for play action and I said so from my sofa just before it happened. The 3rd and 6 empty backfield was shocking, as the only run threat was a QB draw. Good work by Ben to get outside the pocket and drive the final dagger.

No doubt we saw something in the film that confirmed our belief we could run the ball early on and then open up the passing game after ramming it down their throat. It was a great game plan.

tube517
01-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Not enough spit from Tomlin's mouth for Cowher memories.

Burghfan58
01-24-2011, 02:20 PM

No problem with them trying to run the ball in the third and eat some clock, but when it's no longer working change things up a bit.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2011, 04:03 PM
No problem with them trying to run the ball in the third and eat some clock, but when it's no longer working change things up a bit.

I think the mistakes and turnovers in the 2nd half caused the game to be closer than it turned out to be. If Ben actually leads Sanders in the endzone instead of throwing behind for the INT.....its a walk.

Still wasnt cowherball in the true essence of things, but the 1st half looked a bit like it.

Mistah Q
01-24-2011, 04:57 PM
The Steelers sure, got conservative on offense and preventative on defense, and it almost cost them bigtime -- you can't really play "what-if" about Ike falling down and letting Stonio score. Against a good team you'll get one or two of that kind of play a game, where you just slip up and the other team fully exploits it. What you can look at though, is the vast difference in our offense between when we had Pouncey in, and after he left the game. So what if we stopped throwing in the second half -- because in the first, Mendenhall was running through that defense like a three day old vindaloo.

We need Pouncey to play in the Super Bowl, even though I don't think the Packers are as good as the Jets on defense. The kid is amazing -- both physically and mentally -- and if he keeps this pace up he's going to have a better career than Dermontti.

Iron Steeler
01-24-2011, 05:09 PM

IMO mendenhall killed him on the run in the first half.... so obviously the jets geard to stop the run in 3rdQ

I would have done some shotgun sets on first down, and let mendy get in some space for the a pass or some screens.

BlastFurnace
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm sure the point's been made plenty of times, but damn I'd like to keep the foot on the gas rather than turtling up with a big lead and *hoping* the opposing team can't score fast enough before the game's over.

Thankfully, they won. The Steelers never make anything easy...although they win most of the time...especially in big games.

SMR
01-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Thankfully, they won. The Steelers never make anything easy...although they win most of the time...especially in big games.

Yeah, and I'll have multiple ulcers and white hair before I even turn 40! Great!!

:yay3::yay3::yay3: