PDA

View Full Version : Post game thoughts.

zulater
01-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Heath Miller was huge today, not only with the second and 8 catch ( ball was thrown slightly behind him btw) but also the dude blocks like a tackle. Mendy doesn't have near the game he had today without Heath making some dynamite blocks!

Nice game Legurskey, but boy we missed Pouncey. That third and one we couldn't convert in the first half, anyone think that might have gone done different if Maurkice had been in there? And the fumbles on the cventer snaps? :frusty:

Keisel and Hood both quietly had another terrific game. Same with big snack. I thought the d-line was terrific the entire game.

Clutch catch Antonio Brown! But sit there and let yourself be touched down if that situation arises again!

Lamarr Woodley had another sack today! Guy is money in the post season!:thumbsup:

Jonathan Scott and Kemo had good games today! :thumbsup:

More later as they come to me....

stlrtruck
01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I thought the defense let up just before half and you can't do that in these games.

I thought the offense stopped moving the ball.

I'm disappointed that our coaching staff allowed for prevent play on both sides of the ball. Against the Packers, there is no way we can play that way and win.

The Packers have the same style of defense we do - aggressive, and they have some RBs that have fresh legs. It's going to have to be a 60 minute performance, put the foot on the throttle, and GO! Don't give them a chance.

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2011, 10:55 PM
yes...I had too much coffee...again...

2 pots tonight...geesh...I'm gonna be up til Tuesday!

steel9guy
01-23-2011, 10:56 PM
We had a good 1st Half. Thought it was over and let them back in. I'm pumped that we don't have to watch any of our players in the probowl next week!

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
-That 2nd half was absolute CRAP. The ENTIRE team. Of course I'll take the win, but ewww that was not fun to watch. After dropping Brad Smith at the 10 yard line on the kick return, we let them score on a 45 yard TD pass to Santonio? At least it was just a fluke, Ike just slipped on that play.

-Even though we let up in the 2nd half, I really liked that Dick Lebeau kept going after Sanchez. Well, we went into prevent defense on the last 1 or 2 Jets offensive drives, but that was to consume clock time which was actually a really good idea. So kudos to the coaching staff right there.

-I liked the use of play action in the 2nd half. Even though ultimately we could move the ball much in the 2nd half.

-And lastly. I HOPE TO GOD Maurkice Pouncey is ok. We need you man!

Merchant
01-23-2011, 11:04 PM
1. I think Mendy read Peter King's where article where he wrote that he wasn't a "big game back." Very nice response, Rashard :thumbsup:

2. I thought the defense played great overall. Run defense was suffocating and other than the long TD to Holmes where Ike slipped, Bthe pass defense was solid, the jets had to resort to 3-5 yard quick slants all game.

3. The stats don't show it, but Ben was CLUTCH. How many third downs did he convert running/passing?

4. We can't have that kind of 2nd half against the Packers. 0 points won't cut it in the Super Bowl.

5. Really hope we get Pouncey back for the Bowl. Legursky vs Raji is a bad matchup. How sweet would it be to finally get back Aaron Smith too?

zulater
01-23-2011, 11:06 PM
1. I think Mendy read Peter King's where article where he wrote that he wasn't a "big game back." Very nice response, Rashard :thumbsup:

2. I thought the defense played great overall. Run defense was suffocating and other than the long TD to Holmes where Ike slipped, Bthe pass defense was solid, the jets had to resort to 3-5 yard quick slants all game.

3. The stats don't show it, but Ben was CLUTCH. How many third downs did he convert running/passing?

4. We can't have that kind of 2nd half against the Packers. 0 points won't cut it in the Super Bowl.
5. Really hope we get Pouncey back for the Bowl. Legursky vs Raji is a bad matchup. How sweet would it be to finally get back Aaron Smith too?

Same could be said of the Packers, they didn't score an offensive point in the second half of their game either.

zulater
01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Wasn't that game opening drive a thing of beauty? I know that seems like a decade ago, but it happened, and it mattered.

Psycho Ward 86
01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Same could be said of the Packers, they didn't score an offensive point in the second half of their game either.

But they didnt play with their ears pinned back. Two interceptions in the 2nd half. Including a pick-6

GoSlash27
01-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Main thought: Everybody wrote us off before this season even started. We proved 'em all wrong. I believe.

Merchant
01-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Let's just agree that it'd be better to put up some points in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl :D

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 11:25 PM
I thought the defense let up just before half and you can't do that in these games.

I thought the offense stopped moving the ball.

I'm disappointed that our coaching staff allowed for prevent play on both sides of the ball. Against the Packers, there is no way we can play that way and win.

The Packers have the same style of defense we do - aggressive, and they have some RBs that have fresh legs. It's going to have to be a 60 minute performance, put the foot on the throttle, and GO! Don't give them a chance.

:salute: agreed

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 11:28 PM

i agreee with u Zu... i went to the bar and watch the games with my buddy ( A packer fan) he was extremely disappointed in the stale performance on his team as well...

bet your ass both teams will be ready in 2 weeks!

lets work out the kink Tomlin!!! :tt03:

Wheelz
01-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I don't think i heard Flozell's name once tonight. No holding, no false starts, no missed blocks that almost got Ben killed?

The hotel is playing great ball, and I've become a fan of the big guy.

Steeldude
01-24-2011, 12:01 AM
nice play calling by the offense in the second half. it almost seemed like they were trying to run the clock out on the beginning of the 3rd quarter.:tongue1:

oneforthetoe
01-24-2011, 02:11 AM
The only word that comes to mind for the second half of that game was angina. Honestly boys, your going to put me in the grave.

Aussie_steeler
01-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Mendenhall was definitely pumped after the game..........

or should I say been was pumped???????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgjhOGfVBE

Burghfan58
01-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Ditto on that. Please Steelers put the hammer down when you get the lead. Too conservative with too much time on the clock. I'm glad they at least called the roll out pass to Brown to run out the clock.

LLT
01-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Favorite strategy: I loved the fact that the Jets game planned for ben...and we slammed Mendy down their throats.

Favorite thing on offense: Our "beat up" o-line played very well and deserve kudos!!

Favorite thing on defense: We swatted more balls out of the air then a soccer goalie!!!

Weidest moment: Did anyone else see Sanchez wipe a booger on one of his teammates?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMbxPgdXbw

polamalubeast
01-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Rooney:1
Holmes:0

fansince'76
01-24-2011, 08:18 AM
But they didnt play with their ears pinned back. Two interceptions in the 2nd half. Including a pick-6

And yet still almost blew it against a 3rd stringer named Caleb Hanie (who?). We may have not looked like world beaters in the 2nd half, but neither did the Packers.

tube517
01-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Great point. The Packers O only put up 14 pts. All in the first half.

Still trying to figure out who Caleb Hanie is.

And yet still almost blew it against a 3rd stringer named Caleb Hanie (who?). We may have not looked like world beaters in the 2nd half, but neither did the Packers.

SteelerFanInStl
01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't think i heard Flozell's name once tonight. No holding, no false starts, no missed blocks that almost got Ben killed?

The hotel is playing great ball, and I've become a fan of the big guy.

Along with that, and even more credit to The Hotel, is that I didn't hear Ellis's name either. Ellis was all over the place against New England. Did he even play yesterday? :lol:

tube517
01-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Flozell is all business. What a great return to Dallas, in a Steeler uniform!

Along with that, and even more credit to The Hotel, is that I didn't hear Ellis's name either. Ellis was all over the place against New England. Did he even play yesterday? :lol:

zulater
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
One other thing that bears mentioning. I don't think you can overstate how important a part our special teams played yesterday. Also give additional credit to Antonio Brown for that nice kick return after the Jets last score, where he had virtually no blocking because the Steelers had to protect against the possibility of an onside's kick. If he goes down on first contact, and the Steelers start that possession inside their 20, I'm not sure the Steelers turn Ben loose and play that drive as aggressive as they did. .

SteelerFanInStl
01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
One other thing that bears mentioning. I don't think you can overstate how important a part our special teams played yesterday. Also give additional credit to Antonio Brown for that nice kick return after the Jets last score, where he had virtually no blocking because the Steelers had to protect against the possibility of an onside's kick. If he goes down on first contact, and the Steelers start that possession inside their 20, I'm not sure the Steelers turn Ben loose and play that drive as aggressive as they did. .

Yep, the special teams played great. That was one area that I was worried about.

One thing I really just don't understand is why ARE continues to return punts so often. He makes more mistakes than Brown does and has no chance of a good return.

zulater
01-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Yep, the special teams played great. That was one area that I was worried about.

One thing I really just don't understand is why ARE continues to return punts so often. He makes more mistakes than Brown does and has no chance of a good return.

Good question, I'd love to see one of the Steelers beat reporters pose that to Tomlin.

Devilsdancefloor
01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Favorite strategy: I loved the fact that the Jets game planned for ben...and we slammed Mendy down their throats.

Favorite thing on offense: Our "beat up" o-line played very well and deserve kudos!!

Favorite thing on defense: We swatted more balls out of the air then a soccer goalie!!!

Weidest moment: Did anyone else see Sanchez wipe a booger on one of his teammates?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMbxPgdXbw

my youngest son said did you see that dad that loser wiped a booger on that other guy, but with those nasty green uniforms you cant tell :)

as for the game loved mendy running tough but the rest wil have to come later i am digesting this win still today!

tube517
01-24-2011, 11:08 AM
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-but ARE has the most FC's in league history. And he gets $267,000 per FC!

However, ARE may have a play back somewhere in his secret stash for SB XLV, so I'm not going to hate on him yet.

zulater
01-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Great quote by Ryan Clark!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/sports/football/24battista.html?_r=1&ref=football

“Can’t wait to get on that jet!”

:chuckle:

venom
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/3k63m53lc5Y25Z15W5b1o694e16a62ba71598.jpg

venom
01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/3kf3p43o15Z45U15X0b1ofca13480f59e1c35.jpg