PDA

View Full Version : Ben wasn't great, but came through when he had to.

zulater
01-23-2011, 09:47 PM
The stats don't look good, but he made the plays he had to at the end. Plus he made plays with his legs that helped us build up the lead to begin with. 3rd and 12, obviously hurting, think Brady or Manning scramble for that first down?

And regardless of how he struggled at times, he didn't get down or let it beat him ala Brady, when he had to come through and make a couple completions to seal the deal he did.

Plus I think Ben was a little beat down from that cold he fought off all week. think about it, playing in 5 degree weather probably weak as hell, yet he sucked it up when he had to and made the plays we needed to put it to bed.

I wouldn't trade Ben for anyone. Period.

kmsteelerwr15
01-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Ben doesn't care about the numbers and neither do I. All he cares about is going out there and winning and he does just that, whether it be pretty or ugly!

Texasteel
01-23-2011, 09:51 PM
The biggest difference between Manning, Brady and Ben?

Ben is still playing.

Devilsdancefloor
01-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Ben is still playing.

HELL YEAH!

The Duke
01-23-2011, 09:54 PM

Ben is still playing.

Thought you were gonna say balls, but I agree

Texasteel
01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Thought you were gonna say balls, but I agree

By the way, what did you substitute for the chicken............ Never mind, I don't want to know.

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
1 int . ... one is on mendenhall... ben i thought had a good great first half... ALTHOUGH... Bruce arians and his offensive play calling had a horrible second half. I am really sick of this "lets go 5 wide and see if Ben can break a tackle on 3 and 2"

at first glance
Pros: our running game was amazing (first quarter)
our run defense was amazing
other then the holmes td out pass defense was stout.

Cons: pouncey is hurt :-(
second half we fall flat on our face and let the Jets back in the game.
STUPID FREAKING 3RD DOWN PLAY CALLS

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:08 PM
got to play 4 quarters if you want to beat the packers

X-Terminator
01-23-2011, 10:10 PM
1 int . ... one is on mendenhall... ben i thought had a good great first half... ALTHOUGH... Bruce arians and his offensive play calling had a horrible second half. I am really sick of this "lets go 5 wide and see if Ben can break a tackle on 3 and 2"

at first glance
Pros: our running game was amazing (first quarter)
our run defense was amazing
other then the holmes td out pass defense was stout.

Cons: pouncey is hurt :-(
second half we fall flat on our face and let the Jets back in the game.
STUPID FREAKING 3RD DOWN PLAY CALLS

Wait a second...Ben threw an INT and fumbled 2 snaps, they tried running the ball and the pass protection broke down MULTIPLE times in the 2nd half...and you blame Arians for that??? I also might add that he called both pass plays on the final drive to kill the clock, being AGGRESSIVE and PLAYING TO WIN, two things the haters constantly beat him over the head for not doing.

Should have known...it was just a matter of time. :doh: Can't you just be happy they won the damn game?

The Duke
01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Wait a second...Ben threw an INT and fumbled 2 snaps, they tried running the ball and the pass protection broke down MULTIPLE times in the 2nd half...and you blame Arians for that??? I also might add that he called both pass plays on the final drive to kill the clock, being AGGRESSIVE and PLAYING TO WIN, two things the haters constantly beat him over the head for not doing.

Should have known...it was just a matter of time. :doh: Can't you just be happy they won the damn game?

Did you not see Bruce tripping Ike in santonio's TD either?

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2011, 10:14 PM
24-19
Thats all that freakin matters

zulater
01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
FYI. Second fumble was definately on Legurskey. Ben saved a touchdown by getting down on the ball and making a clean recovery. Not sure about the first, but losing Pouncey certainly didn't help matters in this area.

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:16 PM

On the Int with POOL . YES I DO BLAME ARIANS!! why the f our we running routes that are going 20 yards deep with a 5 wide set. GUESS WHAT FOLKS .. WHEN YOU HAVE AN EMPTEY BACK SET THE DEFENSE KNOWS THERE NO RUN THREAT!!

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Did you not see Bruce tripping Ike in santonio's TD either?

Easy Duke... trying to put words in my mouth

fansince'76
01-23-2011, 10:21 PM

And I'm tired of getting a big lead and LeBeau going soft and letting teams back in the damn game. They were eating Sanchez's lunch the first half and then shut the pressure off. Why? SB XLIII was the same story. He better not do that against Rodgers.

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I stand by this with a passion, I AM SICK OF THESE 3RD AND SHORT SITUATION WITH A 5 WIDE SET!!!.

who ever is calling the plays: ben or arians. OR maybe Tomlins should step in and call something. get rid of that crap...

try and sit there and tell me that you were happy about our 3rd quarter performance....

AND dont go smacking your head say OMG here comes a hater... Im just a fan that wants to have a finely tuned MACHINE going into the superbowl. NO kinks or gaps or flaws in our attack

X-Terminator
01-23-2011, 10:24 PM
On the Int with POOL . YES I DO BLAME ARIANS!! why the f our we running routes that are going 20 yards deep with a 5 wide set. GUESS WHAT FOLKS .. WHEN YOU HAVE AN EMPTEY BACK SET THE DEFENSE KNOWS THERE NO RUN THREAT!!

Yeah, because Arians totally made a bad throw that led to the pick. If Ben leads Sanders more or sees him earlier (remember, there was pressure), it's an easy catch for a TD.

Nothing the man ever does will ever suit guys like you, and you are the PERFECT example of what I mentioned in another thread. You will look for something - ANYTHING - to blame on Arians while never giving him any credit.

You know what...forget it. I'm not going to argue anymore. The Steelers are going back to the Super Bowl, and here we are AGAIN arguing about Arians, when we should be savoring the victory. I'm done.

zulater
01-23-2011, 10:24 PM
And I'm tired of getting a big lead and LeBeau going soft and letting teams back in the damn game.

The safety is what got the Jets back in the game. And even though they went somewhat soft, they did achieve the purpose of making the Jets use lots of clock before they put it in end zone for the final time. .

zulater
01-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Why would anyone trash Ben tonight?

Ok I know someone is unfairly giving Arains grief, but do you have to stoop to that level and trash Ben ( and LeBeau) when the guy gutted it out and made the plays he had to to close out a win?

Iron Steeler

X dont get me wrong I am happy we HELD on to win the game...

But you have to admit you were completely satified with our second half performance...

And DINO you always say... Superbowls the standard in pitt... welll this is me being a FAN holding my team to a HIGHER STANDARD!!!

LETS GO STEELERS!!!! KILL THOSE DAMN PACKS!!! :t03:

tube517
Ben 10-2 in the playoffs. Enough said.

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:28 PM
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

X-Terminator
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Why would anyone trash Ben tonight?

Ok I know someone is unfairly giving Arains grief, but do you have to stoop to that level and trash Ben ( and LeBeau) when the guy gutted it out and made the plays he had to to close out a win?

Trust me, I didn't want to have to bring that up. I gave Ben my game ball for doing exactly what you said. But I'm just tired of the constant Arians scapegoating just because a play or 2 don't work to absolute perfection, or the offense doesn't play a perfect game every week.

XxKnightxX
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
24-19
Thats all that freakin matters

As someone said in another post "Scoreboard, Asshole" lmao. No offense to OP but its adding onto Dinos Point.

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
K XTERM... agree to disagree...

Lets just enjoy our super bowl bound Steelers!
:drink:

X-Terminator
01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
K XTERM... agree to disagree...

Lets just enjoy our super bowl bound Steelers!
:drink:

Hey, no problem man. Nothing personal! :drink:

venom
01-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Big 3rd down plays from Big Ben , with his arm and his legs .

memphissteelergirl
01-24-2011, 06:04 AM
In the end the only stats that matter to Ben are the ones on the scoreboard....the other kind will take care of themselves.

zulater
01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Steelers QB just Super enough (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/big_ben_strikes_2FYXaNwsKaNKLGCj0jQmkK)

A 24-0 lead had dissolved to 24-19 after Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez hit Jerricho Cotchery with a 4-yard TD pass with 3:06 left in the game. The Steelers, whose three previous possessions in the second half ended with an interception, a punt and safety, needed to burn time off the clock to secure the victory. So when they got the ball at their 41 with 2:56 remaining, it was all on Roethlisberger.

The Jets had beaten Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to get to this point, but they couldn't beat Big Ben. He made two critical throws on the final drive. The first was a 14-yard second-down completion on a roll out to tight end Heath Miller. It gave the Steelers a valuable first down at the Jets 44. His second completion clinched the victory.

It came on third-and-6 at the Jets' 40, the first play after the two-minute warning. With the Jets out of timeouts, conventional thinking suggested the Steelers run the ball and take as much time off the clock before punting.

But the Steelers put the game in Roethlisberger's hands, calling a pass play that was supposed to go to Hines Ward.

"We weren't going to play not to lose," Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger expected the Jets "to bring the house." But the defenders dropped into coverage, blanketing Ward. Roethlisberger then did what he always does. He bought time with his feet and his size. Wide receiver Antonio Brown came open underneath and Roethlisberger hit him for a 14-yard gain. It won't go down as a game-winning drive, but that's exactly what it was.

"For him to have confidence and trust in me is amazing," said Brown, whose 58-yard catch on third-and-19 helped beat the Ravens, 31-24, in the divisional playoff game. "I watch him day in and day out and he's a real tough, strong guy. He's a high competitor and a great athlete."

Roethlisberger, who ran for a 2-yard TD and completed 10 of 19 for 133 yards with two interceptions, didn't play his best game. But he was good when he needed to be.

"That's us," he said. "That's the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's not always pretty, but somehow we find a way to get it done."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/big_ben_strikes_2FYXaNwsKaNKLGCj0jQmkK#ixzz1ByHb0C 7n

steel striker
01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Bottom line is the steelers won the afccg and, will be going to the sb. I agree it was not Ben's best game but, he made enough plays to help this team move on. But you have to like the play you get from Ben making big plays with the game on the line.