PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Legacy game for Ben

stillers4me
01-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Let's wrap a fairly uneventful week with a juicy quote and assorted other treats heading into what should be a violent AFC Championship Game ...

• Before a few Jets defensive backs popped off about Hines Ward, hardly any of the participants showed a verbal pulse. But a certain ex-Steelers cornerback sure did. Rod Woodson's appraisal of Ben Roethlisberger: "For some reason, not just myself, but people in general — ex-players — when they talk about elite quarterbacks in this game, Ben's not in the top five."

Really? That misguided perception still exists? Surely the unenlightened will convert if Roethlisberger beats a defense that just humiliated Tom Brady and flummoxed Peyton Manning.

Won't they?............

read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719443.html

zulater
01-23-2011, 10:04 AM
An ESPN.com article this week claimed Troy Polamalu "wasn't a huge factor in the win over the Baltimore Ravens" and "curiously was used predominantly in deep coverage." Let us digest that for a moment. Then let us remember that the Ravens, who gained a total of 126 yards, did not complete a pass longer than 16 yards. Let us confirm that their starting receivers — Derrick Mason and Anquan Boldin — had no catches longer than zero yards. Let's reconsider the notion that Polamalu was not a huge factor

Read more: Starkey: Legacy game for Ben - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719443.html#ixzz1BsJFFV7F

Glad to see I'm not alone in this opinion.

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2011, 10:42 AM
He's a Steelers Quarterback...he'll never be considered one of the best ever because he plays on a blue collar team that has a great defense.

Its just the way it is...Terry has 4 rings...FOUR but is never called "the greatest ever" he isn't even in the top 3 of most people lists and a ton of people keep him out of the top 5. And...even some jackholes...keep him out of the top 10, but those who keep him out of the top 10 show themselves to be total morons and there is no point reading anything they write, or listening to anything they say.

So even when Ben wins today, goes on and takes this #1 Defense to the Super Bowl, and wins that...it still won't matter, we'll still hear, "Brady, Manning, Breese, Rivers, Rogers..." before we hear "that 2nd tier of Flacco, Ryan, Eli, and then Big Ben."

Nothing will change that. Maybe if he gets 5 Rings...then maybe...since he'd be the only one ever with 5. Which...is the Standard. I expect 3 more Rings Ben! Just so you know.

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Hope troy is 100%

Iron Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Nothing will change that. Maybe if he gets 5 Rings...then maybe...since he'd be the only one ever with 5. Which...is the Standard. I expect 3 more Rings Ben! Just so you know.

I like where your heads at

stillers4me
01-23-2011, 10:47 AM
they are saying that Ben had a cold this week and lost his voice. :horror:

stillers4me
01-23-2011, 10:51 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Ben Roethlisberger battled a cold this week that left him without his voice for two days. Feeling better now, should not be issue tonight.

Count Steeler
01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Roethlisberger will never be on the "in" crowd. He is not traditional, he is not orthodox. He will always be: And then there is Ben Roethlisberger, who has won # Super Bowls, BUT...

SteelerFanInStl
01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Not in the top 5? :lol: Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers. There's no way that Ben could possibly be any lower than #5. Those other guys are only considered "better" than Ben because they put up gaudier passing stats because they're in passing offenses. Ben's as much, or more, clutch than any of them and has won more Super Bowls than all but Brady, and that could soon change.

stillers4me
01-23-2011, 11:17 AM
What the hell has Phyllis Rivers ever won?????

Count Steeler
01-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Ben will never be considered a media "darling". Ben is a real man!

Dino 6 Rings
01-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Not in the top 5? :lol: Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers. There's no way that Ben could possibly be any lower than #5. Those other guys are only considered "better" than Ben because they put up gaudier passing stats because they're in passing offenses. Ben's as much, or more, clutch than any of them and has won more Super Bowls than all but Brady, and that could soon change.

It always goes...Brady, Manning, Breese, Rogers, Rivers...used to have Palmer in there, and Favre of coarse. Also, Kurt Warner before he retired prior to this season. Now of coarse we hear all about Bradford, he'll be in that "elite" group here soon cause he's gonna put up gawdy numbers next season...give it two years, he'll be up there in the "conversation" and on and on and on. Some of it has to be because of the accusations against Ben, people not wanting to really say his name in a "good light". I think if he does in fact, get married, and then, wins against that McNulty chick, then I think the view of him will start to improve. I'm convinced his off the field stuff is carrying over to the evaluation of his on the field performance and clutchness and greatness.

Edman
01-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Ben will never be a glorious face of the league for quarterbacks. Never puts up the prettiest stats, won't win many MVP's, won't be voted to Pro Bowls. No to mention, the league doesn't protect him like Manning and Brady.

He's not a Drop-back and throw, "Don't touch me" comfortable West Coast Pocket Passer, and he's not a scrambler either. He's a wholly unorthodox quarterback. Not the typical 6'2, 200 something stick. He's 6'5 and 240 Pounds. As big as a prototypical power running back and as tall as a lineman. Defenders have a damn hard time bringing him down, compared to Tommy and Peyton who drop in a fetal position the moment anyone gets within touching distance.

SteelerFanInStl
01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
It always goes...Brady, Manning, Breese, Rogers, Rivers...used to have Palmer in there, and Favre of coarse. Also, Kurt Warner before he retired prior to this season. Now of coarse we hear all about Bradford, he'll be in that "elite" group here soon cause he's gonna put up gawdy numbers next season...give it two years, he'll be up there in the "conversation" and on and on and on. Some of it has to be because of the accusations against Ben, people not wanting to really say his name in a "good light". I think if he does in fact, get married, and then, wins against that McNulty chick, then I think the view of him will start to improve. I'm convinced his off the field stuff is carrying over to the evaluation of his on the field performance and clutchness and greatness.

Yea, Rodgers was the one that I was forgetting. Not sure why I forgot him since he's probably my favorite QB besides Ben. Rivers has never won anything but the so-called experts rave over him because of the passing numbers he puts up in their pass first offense.

BigNastyDefense
01-23-2011, 03:41 PM
1. Ben Roethlisberger plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Therefore he is a game manager that leans on his defense and extraordinary running game.

2. He's unorthodox. He's not drop back and throw it. He's "oh crap, let me stiff arm this defensive end, scramble, pump fake, scramble, pump fake, throw for a big gain or finally get sacked".

3. His last name is "Roethlisberger". Not as pretty to say as "Brady", "Manning", "Brees", "Rivers", etc.

4. He has been a bad boy off the field. He's been accused of sexual assault twice in the past three years. So to some, speaking of Ben Roethlisberger in a good light might bring them scorn.

But I don't give a fuck about any of that shit. There is not a QB I would rather have playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers than him. It may not always be pretty, but he's a fucking winner and that's all that counts.

NCSteeler
01-24-2011, 12:33 AM
1. Ben Roethlisberger plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Therefore he is a game manager that leans on his defense and extraordinary running game.

2. He's unorthodox. He's not drop back and throw it. He's "oh crap, let me stiff arm this defensive end, scramble, pump fake, scramble, pump fake, throw for a big gain or finally get sacked".

3. His last name is "Roethlisberger". Not as pretty to say as "Brady", "Manning", "Brees", "Rivers", etc.

4. He has been a bad boy off the field. He's been accused of sexual assault twice in the past three years. So to some, speaking of Ben Roethlisberger in a good light might bring them scorn.

But I don't give a fuck about any of that shit. There is not a QB I would rather have playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers than him. It may not always be pretty, but he's a fucking winner and that's all that counts.

All week NFLN could only talk about how great Sanchez has become, but this same logic DOES NOT apply to him, just in case you were wondering.

tube517
01-24-2011, 12:36 AM
10-2 in the playoffs.

O'Malley
01-24-2011, 12:39 AM
10-2 in the playoffs.

Ditto^