PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: 'I was young, dumb and immature'

polamalubeast
06-10-2010, 04:03 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iP-BtJ3bxItDKyPsjvLXI5B8KfmAD9G8KVQG1

Roethlisberger: 'I was young, dumb and immature'
By ALAN ROBINSON (AP) – 11 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH — A contrite Ben Roethlisberger says he got caught up in being a caricature called Big Ben, not the grounded player and person he once was, leading to his off-field problems — and affecting his play as the Steelers quarterback.

In his first detailed interviews since a Georgia college student accused him of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom on March 5, Roethlisberger told Pittsburgh TV stations KDKA and WTAE that he expects to be booed this season. He also apologized for his actions, and promised to become the role model he should have been throughout his career.

He blamed his problems on being young, dumb and immature — even though he's 28 — and is especially sorry that his behavior hurt and saddened his parents, sister and other family members.

Because lawyers did not permit the questions to be asked, the two-time Super Bowl winner gave no details about the Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub incident that resulted in his six-game suspension by the NFL. But he said his family members know what happened.

HometownGal
06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Roethlisberger: 'I was young, dumb and immature'

He's right on two out of the three.

I don't consider a 28 year old man - - YOUNG.

MULLDOG24
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah I really hope that Ben is able to put this all behind him and just get back to being a great football player.

willie
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM

He also uses the word "was" as if it happened years ago and as if he is older now. Too bad it took this much to make him realize change was needed.

siss
06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I thought he was more or less referring to the partying and the over all behavior. Not just the Georgia thing.

SteelersinCA
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

polamalubeast
06-10-2010, 05:06 PM
http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.KDKA.2.1744355.html

Jun 10, 2010 6:00 pm US/Eastern Roethlisberger Reflects On His Life, Past & Future
Coming Soon: Watch Bob Pompeani's 22-minute interview with Ben Roethlisberger Reporting
Bob Pompeani PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― Click to enlarge1 of 2
KDKA

Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is opening up about his struggles and recent off-the-field troubles in a special one-on-one interview with KDKA's Bob Pompeani. Ben spoke with Bob this week at his family's farm, which has been his place for reflection during what he described as the lowest point of his entire life.

"This isn't something you plan on," Roethlisberger told KDKA. "I've said a thousand times before, when I was in the backyard being Joe Montana throwing touchdown passes to Jerry Rice in the Super Bowl, that's all you thought about. You didn't think about the scrutiny of the life you would live."

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: Would you say this is the hardest thing you've ever dealt with in your life?

Ben Roethlisberger: "Yes, I'd say just because I'm older now; but you know, I lost my mother at eight so you're almost too young to understand -- so I don't know how you can compare something like this to losing a family member, but I would say yes."

Bob: It seems like there is a culture of athletic entitlement or at least you're built up to a certain level -- and it may not even be your choosing, but you are. Did you yourself get caught up in the 'Big Ben' persona?

Ben: "It was something I didn't know how to deal with. I had never experienced anything like it before… The second year, winning the Super Bowl and that Big Ben just kept building up and I think it ended up coming off the field and as the years kept going it just kept taking over Ben Roethlisberger. So Superman kept taking over Clark Kent and you never saw who Ben Roethlisberger was anymore."

Bob: So you got caught up in that?

Ben: "Looking back on it I can see that. At the time I didn't really see it, but looking back on it now it's like the Toby Mac song, 'I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul.' I was gaining everything but I was losing who I was, who I was raised to be, and it was really tough. Like I said, at the time I didn't see it but looking back on it, gee, it was really obvious, and it was tough. I mean like I said you get thrown into from small town Findlay, Ohio to all of a sudden you're in Pittsburgh and everyone knows about Steelers fans and the Steelers reputation and tradition and to get thrown into that so fast I got so overwhelmed it consumed me."

Some have wondered if alcohol was consuming him, too.

Bob: Alcohol seemed to play in incidents. Have you ever had an issue with alcohol and will the new Ben make alcohol no priority?

Ben: "I can honestly say that in my real mother's side of the family they have an alcohol problem; but growing up we never saw the family, we never did it, I never even saw it in the house. My dad loves to cook and I've never even seen him cook with wine and I know that's a big thing to do. I can honestly say that, no it's not an issue because my dad was so adamant that it not be in the house and even when I was in college my sister was still in the house so we never had it in there. So I can say that no it was not an issue. But moving forward you have to make sure you make right decisions, and that right decision is going to have to be something I'll have to make when the situation presents itself, how the situation presents itself. You can't stop living but you gotta live smarter."

Roethlisberger says he is working to become a new person and a role model.

While he admits to making mistakes, he says he's committed to making it up to his family, his teammates and to Steelers fans.

He says the experience has actually made his relationship with his family even stronger.

"I think it brought us closer, truthfully. Like I said it's been nice coming back to who I am, coming back to Ben Roethlisberger the person my parents raised me to be, coming back into my faith.

"I got a little lost there for a couple of years; but I remember sitting out here with my dad on the farm a couple of months ago and we were talking about everything and how I got kind of lost and he looked at me and we both kind of broke down and he said, 'It's good to have my son back.' And that just killed me, it just, it was emotional and in a way it feels good to be back, it feels good to be back to who I am and the son I'm proud to be with them."

But Roethlisberger knows that fans who were once proud to wear his jersey and sing his praises are now ashamed and disappointed.

"You know I've got a long way to go to make it up to those kids and the parents that don't want their children to idolize me now," he added, "but I'm committed to doing that, to being -- I'm always committed to being the best I can on the football field, I don't think that's ever changed, and I don't think anyone's ever questioned that of me. But now I'm committed more to being a better person off the field in the community just as a person in general. And that's my new goal to be the best that I can be off the field."

Roethlisberger says he's totally committed to making that change. "One-hundred percent. And I know people will say -- let the actions speak. Just give me the chance to show that you'll see a new Ben."

COMING UP: Tonight on KDKA-TV News at 11:00pm: A lot of people have suggested that Ben could solve a lot of his problems by settling down, getting married and starting a family. Hear his reaction to that tonight on KDKA-TV News at 11!

THEN: Friday on KDKA-TV News starting at 5:00pm: Day Two of Ben's candid interview with Bob Pompeani. Is he worried about how fans will react when he comes back?

ALLD
06-10-2010, 05:08 PM
He should sell his house in GA so he will not be tempted to go back to the scene.

Hammer67
06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
There is a lot to be said for settling down and getting married. He is still living the bachelor live and obviously he is too easily tempted by all the things thrown at him. It may not be the total answer, but it couldn't hurt. It would probably keep him out of bars.

That being said, no one really knows what kind of scrutiny and pressure these kids are thrust into once they go pro. And, especially with how much success he had so young. How many "Yes" men end up following you around? How many people are blowing smoke up your ass? How many women are falling at your feet? I can see where some people get caught up in it. And, it is hard to judge from our vantage point because we have NO idea what it would feel like to be in his shoes.

stillers4me
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I remember sitting out here with my dad on the farm a couple of months ago and we were talking about everything and how I got kind of lost and he looked at me and we both kind of broke down and he said, 'It's good to have my son back.'

That really got me. I know what his dad felt like when he said that. I know how frightening it is to "lose" your son and how grateful I felt when he got over whatever it was that took him away from us and to have my son back.

This was bigger than football. What was happening to Ben created a family in crisis. While I still think Goodell went overboard in his reaction and punishment, perhaps (ok......I hate to admit this.....I can't believe I'm going to say this....) perhaps Goodell was ri.....ri....right.

So, ok, we lost our QB for 4-6 games. (It's Ben himself that has to anwer to his teammates, especially the ones who are in the later years of their careers, and the possible lost opportunity this has caused). This is about more than football. This was about changing a man who the Rooneys and the commish thought was worth saving as both a human being and a great football player. Someone who they feel is quite capable of setting an example of what is right about the NFL, not what is wrong about it. They know what kind of family Ben has. They know that Ben is fortunate enough to have strong family support. Unfortunately, not all players have that advantage.

I think the future is bright for Ben. He just has to do all the right things and listen to the right people. It's too bad it had to happen. It shouldn't have had to happen this way. But it did and we just to move on.

stillers4me
06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
If anyone comes across a link to the interviews when they air, please post the for us out of towners.

Edit: http://kdka.com/

solardave
06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I think he's learned a lot from all this and we will see a different Ben from here on out.

Michael
06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Re: Roethlisberger: 'I was young, dumb and immature'
I remember sitting out here with my dad on the farm a couple of months ago and we were talking about everything and how I got kind of lost and he looked at me and we both kind of broke down and he said, 'It's good to have my son back.'
That really got me. I know what his dad felt like when he said that. I know how frightening it is to "lose" your son and how grateful I felt when he got over whatever it was that took him away from us and to have my son back.

This was bigger than football. What was happening to Ben created a family in crisis. While I still think Goodell went overboard in his reaction and punishment, perhaps (ok......I hate to admit this.....I can't believe I'm going to say this....) perhaps Goodell was ri.....ri....right.

So, ok, we lost our QB for 4-6 games. (It's Ben himself that has to anwer to his teammates, especially the ones who are in the later years of their careers, and the possible lost opportunity this has caused). This is about more than football. This was about changing a man who the Rooneys and the commish thought was worth saving as both a human being and a great football player. Someone who they feel is quite capable of setting an example of what is right about the NFL, not what is wrong about it. They know what kind of family Ben has. They know that Ben is fortunate enough to have strong family support. Unfortunately, not all players have that advantage.

I think the future is bright for Ben. He just has to do all the right things and listen to the right people. It's too bad it had to happen. It shouldn't have had to happen this way. But it did and we just to move on.

Nice Post my man , excellent presentation of reality moving upward .

polamalubeast
06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
..Roethlisberger Reflects On His Life, Past & Future
VIDEO Watch Bob Pompeani's 22-minute interview with Ben Roethlisberger Reporting
Bob Pompeani PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is opening up about his struggles and recent off-the-field troubles in a special one-on-one interview with KDKA's Bob Pompeani. Ben spoke with Bob this week at his family's farm, which has been his place for reflection during what he described as the lowest point of his entire life.

"This isn't something you plan on," Roethlisberger told KDKA. "I've said a thousand times before, when I was in the backyard being Joe Montana throwing touchdown passes to Jerry Rice in the Super Bowl, that's all you thought about. You didn't think about the scrutiny of the life you would live."

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: Would you say this is the hardest thing you've ever dealt with in your life?

Ben Roethlisberger: "Yes, I'd say just because I'm older now; but you know, I lost my mother at eight so you're almost too young to understand -- so I don't know how you can compare something like this to losing a family member, but I would say yes."

Bob: It seems like there is a culture of athletic entitlement or at least you're built up to a certain level -- and it may not even be your choosing, but you are. Did you yourself get caught up in the 'Big Ben' persona?

Ben: "It was something I didn't know how to deal with. I had never experienced anything like it before… The second year, winning the Super Bowl and that Big Ben just kept building up and I think it ended up coming off the field and as the years kept going it just kept taking over Ben Roethlisberger. So Superman kept taking over Clark Kent and you never saw who Ben Roethlisberger was anymore."

Bob: So you got caught up in that?

Ben: "Looking back on it I can see that. At the time I didn't really see it, but looking back on it now it's like the Toby Mac song, 'I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul.' I was gaining everything but I was losing who I was, who I was raised to be, and it was really tough. Like I said, at the time I didn't see it but looking back on it, gee, it was really obvious, and it was tough. I mean like I said you get thrown into from small town Findlay, Ohio to all of a sudden you're in Pittsburgh and everyone knows about Steelers fans and the Steelers reputation and tradition and to get thrown into that so fast I got so overwhelmed it consumed me."

Some have wondered if alcohol was consuming him, too.

Bob: Alcohol seemed to play in incidents. Have you ever had an issue with alcohol and will the new Ben make alcohol no priority?

Ben: "I can honestly say that in my real mother's side of the family they have an alcohol problem; but growing up we never saw the family, we never did it, I never even saw it in the house. My dad loves to cook and I've never even seen him cook with wine and I know that's a big thing to do. I can honestly say that, no it's not an issue because my dad was so adamant that it not be in the house and even when I was in college my sister was still in the house so we never had it in there. So I can say that no it was not an issue. But moving forward you have to make sure you make right decisions, and that right decision is going to have to be something I'll have to make when the situation presents itself, how the situation presents itself. You can't stop living but you gotta live smarter."

Roethlisberger says he is working to become a new person and a role model.

While he admits to making mistakes, he says he's committed to making it up to his family, his teammates and to Steelers fans.

He says the experience has actually made his relationship with his family even stronger.

"I think it brought us closer, truthfully. Like I said it's been nice coming back to who I am, coming back to Ben Roethlisberger the person my parents raised me to be, coming back into my faith.

"I got a little lost there for a couple of years; but I remember sitting out here with my dad on the farm a couple of months ago and we were talking about everything and how I got kind of lost and he looked at me and we both kind of broke down and he said, 'It's good to have my son back.' And that just killed me, it just, it was emotional and in a way it feels good to be back, it feels good to be back to who I am and the son I'm proud to be with them."

But Roethlisberger knows that fans who were once proud to wear his jersey and sing his praises are now ashamed and disappointed.

"You know I've got a long way to go to make it up to those kids and the parents that don't want their children to idolize me now," he added, "but I'm committed to doing that, to being -- I'm always committed to being the best I can on the football field, I don't think that's ever changed, and I don't think anyone's ever questioned that of me. But now I'm committed more to being a better person off the field in the community just as a person in general. And that's my new goal to be the best that I can be off the field."

Roethlisberger says he's totally committed to making that change. "One-hundred percent. And I know people will say -- let the actions speak. Just give me the chance to show that you'll see a new Ben."

COMING UP: Tonight on KDKA-TV News at 11:00pm: A lot of people have suggested that Ben could solve a lot of his problems by settling down, getting married and starting a family. Hear his reaction to that tonight on KDKA-TV News at 11!

THEN: Friday on KDKA-TV News starting at 5:00pm: Day Two of Ben's candid interview with Bob Pompeani. Is he worried about how fans will react when he comes back?

polamalubeast
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Jun 10, 2010 7:00 pm US/Eastern Roethlisberger Plans To Rebound, Repair Reputation
Related Story: Roethlisberger Reflects On His Struggles
FULL INTERVIEW: Ben Roethlisberger Opens Up To KDKA's Bob Pompeani Reporting
Bob Pompeani PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―
In his first sit-down interview since he was accused of sexual assault, Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told KDKA's Bob Pompeani that he is committed to becoming a better person off the field.

"I think if you find a way to rebound and come back people can see who you really are and who you truly are," Roethlisberger told KDKA on Monday.

Though the case in Georgia was eventually dismissed, Roethlisberger is still trying to repair his damaged reputation.

His fall from grace was dramatic: a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback sacked by accusations and admitted bad public behavior.

But he now says he has learned his lesson, is ready to make amends, and has turned to a number of friends and colleagues for their advice on how to do it.

Roethlisberger says making sure his suspension will be reduced from 6 games to 4 games is very important to him; but he says even missing 25-percent of the year is difficult to take.

"I was hurt," he said referring to his suspension, "because… that's six games I'm letting the fans down, I'm letting my teammates down. And me, I just want to be out there. I hate missing games when I'm hurt or anything like that and so it hurt a lot."

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: Have you reached out to anyone in this process -- whether it's players, coaches, people you know and trust for advice?

Ben Roethlisberger: "Yeah, I did. I talked to Coach Cowher among other people. But um, lot of people criticize me, that's their right, that's what we do in this country. I hold no ill feelings toward Terry Bradshaw. He's the Steelers quarterback of all time, he's whose shoes we're all trying to fill as quarterbacks and if there was ever anything between us, I don't know where it came from -- but I would apologize if there was anything said or did."

Bob: So you had a long conversation with Cowher?

Ben: "Yes, we talked for a long time, long time."

Bob: Very helpful?

Ben: "Yeah it was. It was helpful even more than just this situation. It was helpful on a broader scale for our relationship. I never really knew how he felt about me and I don't know if he knew how I felt about him because the short time we were together -- he was the veteran coach, I was the rookie guy. And talking to him I think I would call it a friendship now, and he's invited me down to spend a weekend with him and it was helpful on a personal level more than anything."

On another personal level, Roethlisberger says he wants to make good to all the people who believed in him. People he failed.

When asked whether he thought about changing his number to indicate a new Ben Roethlisberger, he says he quickly rejected the idea.

"That got brought up," Roethlisberger told KDKA, "and I thought about it for about five seconds and said, 'No way,' because I wear it because that's me, that's who I am. One of the main reasons I wear it is because of John Elway, one of my idols. He's still one of my idols. You know what? I can make that change. On the football field, I love who I am on the football field and I think most fans would agree. I think they like that. That's not the person who needs to change, it's the person off the field and I don't wear a number off the field. I'm just Ben. And so that's what's most important is just changing Ben."

polamalubeast
06-10-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/roethlisberger-i-was-dumb-young-and-immature/article1599892/

Alan Robinson

PITTSBURGH — The Associated Press
Published on Thursday, Jun. 10, 2010 7:13PM EDT

Last updated on Thursday, Jun. 10, 2010 7:28PM EDT

.A contrite Ben Roethlisberger said he got caught up in being a caricature called Big Ben, not the grounded player and person he once was, leading to his off-field problems and affecting his play as the Steelers quarterback.

In his first detailed interviews since a Georgia college student accused him of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom on March 5, Roethlisberger told Pittsburgh TV stations KDKA and WTAE that he doesn't have an alcohol problem. Before the alleged assault, Roethlisberger and his party ordered considerable amounts of alcohol.

When the NFL announced Roethlisberger's six-game suspension on April 21, commissioner Roger Goodell said the quarterback was required to undergo evaluation. Neither the league nor Roethlisberger have detailed what was being evaluated.

While Roethlisberger told KDKA there were drinking issues on his late mother's side of the family, he said his father, Ken, never permitted alcohol in their house, even when the quarterback played at Miami (Ohio).

“Moving forward, you have to make sure you make the right decision, and that right decision is something I'm going to have to make, when that (alcohol) situation presents itself,” he told KDKA. “You can't stop living, but you've got to live smart.”

Roethlisberger apologized extensively for his behavior, and promised he won't go back to being the ego-driven, rude and boorish person he was before, not only in public but in private.

“I got caught up being Big Ben the whole time. I lost track of who Ben Roethlisberger was. It's not something I'm proud of,” he told WTAE.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, right, addresses the gathered media after a practice session at the NFLfootball team's facility in Pittsburgh, Thursday, June 3, 2010. This is the first time Roethlisberger talked with reporters since he has been cleared by the NFL to return to the Steelers for practice and meetings. The quarterback was suspended without pay for six games in the 2010 season by commissioner Roger Goodell after a 20-year-old college student accused him of sexual assault in Milledgeville, Ga. No charges were filed. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)
Similarly, he told KDKA, “Big Ben just kept building up. It ended up coming off the field. It kept taking over. Superman kept taking over Clark Kent and you just never saw who Ben Roethlisberger was any more. At the time, I didn't see it. I was gaining everything but I was losing a lot of who I was raised to be.”

The Roethlisberger interviews were aired one day after 60 audio and video clips from the investigation were released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. In several, his 20-year-old accuser said she felt powerless to stop a short-tempered Roethlisberger from having sex with her, even though she told him over and over again to stop.

Roethlisberger suggested that living a role rather than living a life may have affected him on the field, too. The Steelers went 9-7 and missed the playoffs last season, one season after winning the Super Bowl, even though he had his best season statistically since being a first-round draft pick in 2004.

“I've wanted to apologize to them (fans) for so many things. For being immature, for being dumb, for being young, for not knowing any better,” he told WTAE. “For getting caught up in everything that was thrown my way. ... In my heart, I know I haven't been the best person, the best quarterback for the Steelers, I'm not talking just on the field, I'm talking off the field.”

Roethlisberger is sorry that his behavior hurt and saddened his parents, sister and other family members. His sister, Carlee, was a member of Oklahoma's NCAA women's basketball Final Four team, yet she told reporters he did not attend one of her games last season.

Already, he said, family members can tell a difference in him since the Georgia incident.

“My dad said to me about a month ago, it's good to have my son back,” Roethlisberger told WTAE. “That killed me because my dad's been my best friend. For him to say that to me really let me know I wasn't who he raised me to be.”

Because lawyers did not permit the questions to be asked, the two-time Super Bowl winner gave no details about the Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub incident, although he faces no charges. But he said his family members know what happened. His father and stepmother now live in Pittsburgh, moving from Findlay, Ohio, where Ben Roethlisberger grew up.

Roethlisberger chose to do interviews with local TV stations upon the advice of consultants hired to help him and the Steelers rebuild his badly damaged public image. He promised several times that fans won't see the bad Roethlisberger — rather than the popular, championship-winning player of before — any longer.

“Those chapters in my life, I've closed that book and I'm not opening them up,” he told WTAE. “It only matters what I do from here on out. That's what I'm excited about — showing people, proving to people, fans, teammates, my family, the commissioner, everybody, who Ben Roethlisberger is. And that Ben is here to stay.”

vasteeler
06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
this is insane, all this over nothing. I feel sorry for ben. he is getting screwed
please tell me i am not the only one who feels this way

siss
06-10-2010, 07:50 PM

I talked about that here :http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/Editorial2.php

stillers4me
06-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I talked about that here :http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/Editorial2.php

But you said it so much more eloquently than I ever could!

BeerMan
06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
this is insane, all this over nothing. I feel sorry for ben. he is getting screwed

I wouldn't exactly say "all this over nothing", but after having viewed the "victim's" video, there's no doubt in my mind that Ben did not rape that girl. I don't mean to rehash everything else that's been said, but I think the only thing Ben is guilty of is bad judgement. I agree that he's getting screwed over in all of this - that girl's judgement was every bit as bad as Ben's, but she's not spending millions to repair her reputation. I just saw a poll on WTAE's website, and over half of the respondents still say they won't cheer for Ben. I just don't think you can condemn him after sifting through the facts, and it puzzles me that people are willing to throw him under the bus without having done so.

That said, I do believe he needed a kick in the ass to come back to planet earth, although a rape charge is a harsh way to do it. Let's just hope he's serious about staying on the straight and narrow because it's scary what he can accomplish on the football field. The "experts" may not be giving us a chance this year, but I'll bet Ben might have a little something to say about that.

ricardisimo
06-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I've been hoping for a while that he had decided not to drink any longer, but based on this interview it doesn't look like he's made that choice. I refuse to believe that he's not an alcoholic. It's a separate issue from his view of women, but it's integral to his view of himself and how he is to comport himself in the world.

TatarMongol
06-10-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm 32 going 33. So 4 me, he's young. (OK, maybe I'm like that cuz I'm an Asian where even 1 year of age difference does matter, IDK.) Heck, sometimes I do stupid things here & there even these days.

steelerdude15
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I think he has learned, I think he has it in him and I believe in him. He can fix this and he will. He has realized his mistakes and he'll improve things. Just give him time and things will be back to normal and no one will talk about this anymore. Go Steelers and go Ben Roethlisberger.

steelpride12
06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Actions speak louder than words and all I can say is I hope Ben learned from his mistakes and proves he won't do anything stupid and immature again. He should have known the second he walked into a college bar, it was a bad mistake and he would end up in trouble. He is a professional and their is not much room for mistake in when you play for the Steelers. I know he will restore his image and learn his lesson and Im cheering for him more than ever!

kittenfantastico76
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM
The first step in solving anything is admitting there is a problem. I hope that Ben has learned his lesson and only grows to be better and stronger because of this experience and lastly, more mature.

BigNastyDefense
06-10-2010, 11:13 PM
I think this is all that he needs to say on the subject. He should refuse any and all interview requests on the subject and not answer questions about it. It's time to bury this and move on. He needs to focus on being a better person from here on out and he needs to prove this with his actions only.

tube517
06-10-2010, 11:13 PM
First things first, it's good to see him reconnect w/family. That will keep him grounded. Say what you want about his personal issues (and he has serious personal issues), he's a damn good football player and I'm glad the Steelers believe in him to give him another chance.

On another note, it's good to see Coach Cowher reaching out to his former QB and giving advice. It's a classy move on his part.

siss
06-10-2010, 11:53 PM
If him and Cowher are buddy buddy now, I say turn that big farm into a football field and have Cowher be like a coach for 6 (4) games and keep his ass in gear. They could get unsigned free agent receivers for Ben to throw to and Cowher kick his ass on the field until his suspension is over. That could work.

Steeldude
06-11-2010, 12:50 AM

i totally agree. it's a weak excuse. i also despise the excuse, "i got into drugs and didn't know what i was doing".

let's see if the means it or if he is saying what people want to hear.

stillers4me
06-11-2010, 05:21 AM
I think he means when the whole "Big Ben " persona started. He was young when he was thrust into the spotlight and it rolled into the problems we all saw the last few years.

NCSteeler
06-11-2010, 05:23 AM

At your age 28 is a baby....:behindsofa:

GoSlash27
06-11-2010, 06:20 AM
'I was young, dumb and immature':lol:
But what? A few months later you're old, wise, and level-headed? Sorry Ben, but it doesn't work that way.
The fans will let it go after you prove that you've grown up.

SteelMember
06-11-2010, 08:35 AM
He's got a long way to go to "prove it", but from the way these words are written, he does seem sincere.

...this is the first I've heard of Ben's mother dying when he was young. I guess I was out of the loop on that one.

siss
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I hope he is sincere, but it will take time. I think he is. I want him to be.

Steely McSmash
06-11-2010, 11:37 AM

I don't like dodging the question here. He wasn't asking if Ben's father has a problem with booze.

Steelerchad
06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Getting married is not the answer unless your ready for it. And he is clearly not.
Ask Tiger Woods about that. Being married wouldn't have prevented this, it would have just caused more shame, embarrassment, and off the field problems for him.
Get married when you're good and ready, and not a second sooner.
And this comes from a happily married man.

siss
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't like dodging the question here. He wasn't asking if Ben's father has a problem with booze.

I actually am proud that he has not blamed his problems on alcohol. I think he could have easily blamed that and he didn't. He owned up to it. If he does have a problem with alcohol it may not be our problem.

stillers4me
06-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I never felt alcohol was the problem. His play and commitment certainly never appeared to be compromised by any type of a substance abuse problem. And in the multiple accounts we've read over the last couple of years when Ben shows up at a club or casino, I have read several times that Ben was just "nursing a drink" and never caused a scene or appeared drunk. (not until we read the sorority girls statements....and who knows what to believe out of those).

I've also read that Ben generally does no work outs after the season is over for several months to let his body completely heal. (thus he tends to put on a few extra pounds that comes off when he starts training). The timing of the Georgia incident and his birthday bash fits right into the timeline of "one last night out" before he would need to begin light training for the start of OTA's.

HometownGal
06-11-2010, 05:01 PM
At your age 28 is a baby....:behindsofa:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/sunsetsher/BiteMyAss.jpg

:lol: :upyours: :lol:

MasterOfPuppets
06-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Big Ben just kept building up and I think it ended up coming off the field and as the years kept going it just kept taking over Ben Roethlisberger. is he talking about his penis ?:noidea:

SteelCityMom
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Most of what was said in his interview was already posted, but WTAE linked the uncut interview on youtube (and probably on their site as well I assume), for anyone who's interested.

He does seem sincere and very willing to make a change, but actions speak louder than words and it'll take a long time to gain many people's trust back (especially his family's). I hope he's serious about what he says he wants and needs to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd5KNa9_KyM&feature=geo

HometownGal
06-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm 32 going 33. So 4 me, he's young. (OK, maybe I'm like that cuz I'm an Asian where even 1 year of age difference does matter, IDK.) Heck, sometimes I do stupid things here & there even these days.

Well shit - 45 is "young" to me. :chuckle: I'm sure you got my drift - at 28 a normal person, whether male or female, usually has a better grasp on common sense and how to think and act like an adult instead of a teenager getting some booty or weenie for the first time.