PDA

View Full Version : The Jets want to become the Steelers

BigNastyDefense
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
This is from a post I made to my blog: http://bndsteelers.blogspot.com

The Jets want to become the Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a very rich history in the National Football League.

They have won six Super Bowls, the most of any team in the NFL. They have won a total of seven conference championships. Twenty division championships. They have been to the playoffs a total of twenty-six times.

They have a ton of former players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Then you hear "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania" you think of the Steelers.

Since 1969, the Steelers have had only three head coaches (Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin).

The Jets have a history also. It's not nearly as rich as that of the Steelers.

They have won their division only four times. They have never actually won a conference championship game. When they won Super Bowl III, their only Super Bowl win, it was as the winners of the American Football League.

Since 1969, the New York Jets have has a total of twelve full time head coaches.

Their current head coach has brought a true identity to the Jets. They are, for the most part, loud and brash. They run the ball and they play stout defense. Does that sound like another team we all know of, other than the loud and brash part?

Rex Ryan is building a force in the Jets. He is using a lot of the same blueprint that the Steelers used to build their current team.

This team leans on the running game and defense to win games. Mark Sanchez is being a game manager. He is making the throws that they ask him to make, not trying to do too much. That's what the Steelers did with Ben Roethlisberger.

One thing the Jets have done that is different from the Steelers is that they have filled out a lot of the holes on their roster with free agents and trades. Part of that is because in New York there is a "win now" attitude and the Jets didn't have the time to do it through the draft.

So they traded for wide receivers Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes. They traded for cornerback Antonio Cromartie. They signed free agent linebackers Bart Scott and Jason Taylor.

However, if the Jets want to maintain their success, they need to restock through the draft. The Jets will resign either Edwards or Holmes, but I doubt they can resign both players. Antonio Cromartie is also going to be an free agent after this season, but the Jets drafted his "replacement" in Kyle Wilson in the first round of last year's draft.

I expect the Jets to be a big player in the AFC for a long while to come. Their history isn't all that impressive, but they should be changing that in the future under Rex Ryan.

After we win this game on Sunday, it will become personal for Rex Ryan and the Jets. The Steelers will have a new postseason nemesis, and that will be the Jets from New York.

solardave
01-21-2011, 04:58 PM
This is from a post I made to my blog: http://bndsteelers.blogspot.com

The Jets want to become the Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a very rich history in the National Football League.

They have won six Super Bowls, the most of any team in the NFL. They have won a total of seven conference championships. Twenty division championships. They have been to the playoffs a total of twenty-six times.

They have a ton of former players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Then you hear "Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania" you think of the Steelers.

Since 1969, the Steelers have had only three head coaches (Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin).

The Jets have a history also. It's not nearly as rich as that of the Steelers.

They have won their division only four times. They have never actually won a conference championship game. When they won Super Bowl III, their only Super Bowl win, it was as the winners of the American Football League.

Since 1969, the New York Jets have has a total of twelve full time head coaches.

Their current head coach has brought a true identity to the Jets. They are, for the most part, loud and brash. They run the ball and they play stout defense. Does that sound like another team we all know of, other than the loud and brash part?

Rex Ryan is building a force in the Jets. He is using a lot of the same blueprint that the Steelers used to build their current team.

This team leans on the running game and defense to win games. Mark Sanchez is being a game manager. He is making the throws that they ask him to make, not trying to do too much. That's what the Steelers did with Ben Roethlisberger.

One thing the Jets have done that is different from the Steelers is that they have filled out a lot of the holes on their roster with free agents and trades. Part of that is because in New York there is a "win now" attitude and the Jets didn't have the time to do it through the draft.

So they traded for wide receivers Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes. They traded for cornerback Antonio Cromartie. They signed free agent linebackers Bart Scott and Jason Taylor.

However, if the Jets want to maintain their success, they need to restock through the draft. The Jets will resign either Edwards or Holmes, but I doubt they can resign both players. Antonio Cromartie is also going to be an free agent after this season, but the Jets drafted his "replacement" in Kyle Wilson in the first round of last year's draft.

I expect the Jets to be a big player in the AFC for a long while to come. Their history isn't all that impressive, but they should be changing that in the future under Rex Ryan.

After we win this game on Sunday, it will become personal for Rex Ryan and the Jets. The Steelers will have a new postseason nemesis, and that will be the Jets from New York.

Well said. I have to agree they will improve under Ryan but they will learn about experience on Sunday. They got lucky and beat us during the season when Troy and Heath were out. Who here doesn't believe if Heath were in the back of the endzone at the end of that game we wouldn't have won? I say at least a 75% chance Heath would have caught the ball to go ahead for the win. No excuses this time we take it to 'em.

Stlrs4Life
01-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Doesn't every NFL Team?

GoSlash27
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Actually, I think Ryan is trying to turn them into the Ravens, which is another team that's trying to be the Steelers.
/often imitated, but never duplicated...

BigNastyDefense
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Actually, I think Ryan is trying to turn them into the Ravens, which is another team that's trying to be the Steelers.
/often imitated, but never duplicated...

You could be right. And yes, often imitated, but never duplicated. The Steelers are the best team to ever step on an NFL field.

Well said. I have to agree they will improve under Ryan but they will learn about experience on Sunday. They got lucky and beat us during the season when Troy and Heath were out. Who here doesn't believe if Heath were in the back of the endzone at the end of that game we wouldn't have won? I say at least a 75% chance Heath would have caught the ball to go ahead for the win. No excuses this time we take it to 'em.

I would say and 85% chance that Heath catches that ball in the back of the endzone. The ball hit Spaeth right in the hands, and Heath rarely ever drops a ball that hits him in the hands.

This time we kick some Jets ass!

Sunday, Pittsburgh is a NO FLY ZONE and we have anti-aircraft missiles with names like James Harrison, Troy Polamalu, LaMarr Woodley, Casey Hampton, Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, and the rest of the gang!

Edman
01-21-2011, 08:18 PM
The Jaguars tried it. Failed.
The Cardinals tried it when Whisenhunt came there. Failing.
The Ravens are always trying it. Failing.

Ryan came from the Ravens, who at this time are already trying to be the Steelers.

Often imitated, Jaguars called themselves "Steelers of the South", Arizona is trying to be Steelers West. But never sucessfully duplicated.