PDA

View Full Version : Just when it looked as if no one could replace Smith along comes Ziggy

stillers4me
01-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Go back to Oct. 24, a warm, wet afternoon in South Florida. The Steelers beat the Miami Dolphins, 23-22, to go to 5-1. It should have been a joyous winning locker room, but it most certainly was not. The team won a big game but lost defensive end Aaron Smith, maybe for the season, maybe even for good, because of a torn left triceps muscle.

"I'm sick," linebacker James Farrior said.

Because Smith might be the most beloved and respected player on the Steelers. "If I could be like him and live my life like he lives his, I'd die a happy man," Pro Bowl defensive end Brett Keisel once said. But also because Smith had been a huge part of the defense for 11-plus seasons. "Anytime he's not in there, it kills us," nose tackle Casey Hampton said.

You might say.

In the 2007 season, the Steelers went 1-2 down the stretch and lost in the playoffs to the Jacksonville Jaguars after Smith's right biceps was torn. In '08, they won Super Bowl XLIII when he played in every game. In '09, they went 6-5 and missed the playoffs after his right rotator cuff was torn.

"We're going to find out if we can win without him," wide receiver Hines Ward said that day in Sun Life Stadium.............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11021/1119481-87.stm

zulater
01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Nice to see Ziggy is not only talented, but dedicated as well. It's also great that he appreciates Aaron's mentoring.

tube517
01-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Not only a tribute to Aaron, but a respectful young man. Great to have both Aaron and Ziggy on the team.

"Aaron's helped me tremendously," Hood said. "Watch us at practice. He's always telling me what I can do better. It's easy to pat a guy on the back and tell him he's doing great. I'd rather have the constructive criticism. If Aaron can tweak something to make me better, I'm all for it. I want to be great. I'm not even close to that yet. Until you can mention me in the same sentence with Aaron Smith, I've got to keep working."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11021/1119481-87.stm#ixzz1Bg1enH6a

Burghman
01-21-2011, 08:21 AM
I first saw him on draft day and thought what a monster. Over 300 lbs of solid muscle. He will be a great one IMO.

Devilsdancefloor
01-21-2011, 08:29 AM
and ziggy plays guitarrr... oh i digress! i love this kid hard working and very dedicated!

TroysBarber
01-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Give Hood credit for seizing the opportunity. He started studying the game plan a little more. He paid more attention to the opponent's offensive linemen and their tendencies. He put greater emphasis on the details of his position. He worked harder on his run-stopping techniques.

He's playing great, but doesn't this quote suggest that he wasn't giving his all until he became a starter?

steelerdude15
01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
He came up huge last weekend and I hope he does this weekend too!