PDA

View Full Version : Gibson, Steelers strike a deal

Chidi29
06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Thaddeus-Gibson-gets-threeyear-deal-with-Steelers.html

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson has agreed to terms on a three-year deal, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

It's rare for a draft pick to receive a three-year contract nowadays with most teams preferring to negotiate four-year pacts.

Gibson was drafted in the fourth round.

Gibson primarily played defensive end at Ohio State, but the 6-foot-2, 243-pounder played linebacker in high school.

Last season, he was named second-team All-Big Ten Conference as he led the Buckeyes with 13 tackles for losses and ranked second on the team with four sacks.

He also forced two fumbles, recovered two fumbles and intercepted one pass.

The Steelers displayed a lot of interest in Gibson at his Pro Day workout where he ran the 40-yard dash in the low 4.6 range. Steelers vice president of football operations Kevin Colbert and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau attended the workout.

Gibson is looking forward to playing linebacker in the NFL.

"It's truly the position I love the most," Gibson said during the NFL scouting combine. "I'm excited to hear the talk about me going back to linebacker, honestly, but I don't mind playing defensive end, either. I'm just excited about the opportunity and ready to go."

In 2008, Gibson registered five sacks and nine tackles for losses.

For his career, he recorded 10 sacks and 25 tackles for losses.

He decided to leave school after his junior season to help his family with medical expenses when the NFL draft advisory board gave him a second-round grade.

steelpride12
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Leave it to our Steelers for their first signing of the rookies to be a linebacker.

MULLDOG24
06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Glad to have him signed as I think he will be a solid player in time.

salamander
06-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Now let's get the rest of 'em signed.

BlastFurnace
06-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Our rookie OLB's are certainly intruiging. I'm interested to see what they bring.

solardave
06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Our rookie OLB's are certainly intruiging. I'm interested to see what they bring.

SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!! They can't hurt us any.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Hopefully we see some more signings in the comming week.

Chidi29
06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
One other note.

As the article pointed out, it's a three year deal. If we were to assume the CBA will have the same rule as the expired one, he'll become a RFA if/when his contract is up. Won't automatically be UFA.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I wonder if there is any thought that Gibson could develop into a guy that can play inside or outside like Keyaron Fox??

Killer
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Go Buckeyes!

The Duke
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I wonder if there is any thought that Gibson could develop into a guy that can play inside or outside like Keyaron Fox??

you think so? He seems like a natural pass rusher, but also very strong. Bulk him up more and it's not entirely out of the question

His performance against tight ends and runningbacks should determine that

I love how stacked we look (hopefully) at LB!

steelpride12
06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
you think so? He seems like a natural pass rusher, but also very strong. Bulk him up more and it's not entirely out of the question

His performance against tight ends and runningbacks should determine that

I love how stacked we look (hopefully) at LB!
I think ST is where he is destined for now, but maybe if he can prove himself and bulk up he has a possibility to be the next Fox. Id love to see him develop into that.

kmsteelerwr15
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Hopefully a bit of a domino effect and we get the rest of them signed as soon as we can

Chidi29
06-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Both Buckeyes have been signed. Worthington inked a three year deal.

http://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre/statuses/15876975992

MasterOfPuppets
06-11-2010, 12:22 AM
It's rare for a draft pick to receive a three-year contract nowadays with most teams preferring to negotiate four-year pacts.

i'm not positive, but i'm pretty sure 3 year deals are always the norm for steeler picks later than the 3rd round.

Galax Steeler
06-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Sounds like Gibson wants to make an impact and play some football. Hopefully he will do well and will make a good player for us down the road.

Galax Steeler
06-11-2010, 04:13 AM
Doug Worthington Becomes Second Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie To Sign

Earlier in the day, we learned that fourth round defensive end/outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson had signed a three-year rookie deal (financials not disclosed). Most recently, seventh round defensive lineman Doug Worthington agreed to a three-year contract that will pay him $1.25 million, but not much up front (reportedly a $33k signing bonus). We can get an idea of Gibson's deal by looking at Worthington's - both are three years, but with Gibson being drafted three rounds higher, he probably got somewhere in the $1.7-$2.0 million range.

I hate to do this often, but I have a 'feeling' that Worthington may pan out quite nicely for a 7th round pick. I say a 'feeling' because I haven't exactly studied hours and hours of tape of him during his solid career at Ohio State. He just looks like he's big, sturdy and durable guy who will be able to handle gap clogging duties very nicely.

Congratulations to Mr. Worthington on the achievement! Not even sure what $33,000 buys you these days, but hell, beats logging hours at a desk. Welcome to the family officially!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

TroysBarber
06-11-2010, 06:10 AM
One other note.

As the article pointed out, it's a three year deal. If we were to assume the CBA will have the same rule as the expired one, he'll become a RFA if/when his contract is up. Won't automatically be UFA.

We also don't know if a lockout year(s) counts toward that 3 year contract.

Chidi29
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Doug Worthington Becomes Second Pittsburgh Steelers Rookie To Sign

Earlier in the day, we learned that fourth round defensive end/outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson had signed a three-year rookie deal (financials not disclosed). Most recently, seventh round defensive lineman Doug Worthington agreed to a three-year contract that will pay him $1.25 million, but not much up front (reportedly a $33k signing bonus). We can get an idea of Gibson's deal by looking at Worthington's - both are three years, but with Gibson being drafted three rounds higher, he probably got somewhere in the $1.7-$2.0 million range.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

According to Rotoworld, Gibson got $1.58 million with a 366K bonus.