PDA

View Full Version : What to do - My wife invited a Jets fan to my house to watch the game.

Carolina Steelers
01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
I love my wife to death but sometimes shes just to nice and thought it would be a good idea to invite a friend of hers and her husband that were born in New York and are Jets fans. I told her okay (really what else could I say) Im a hardcore fan, last sat when we were down by 14 not to good to be around then when we won also not to good to be around if you no what I mean. I let my emotions out good and bad while watching the game. There not really die hard fans so if (i mean when) they lose they will go on with their day, but me the total opposite. How do i handle this situation?

Borski
01-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Some times its funt o watch the game with fans of an opposing team, alot of my friends are Jag fans and we watch the game together when they play.

fansince'76
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Do you have another TV in another room in case things go south? I don't really see a problem here unless we get behind and things aren't looking good.

Carolina Steelers
01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree it would be fun if they were friends but I only meant them a few times. yea I have another TV but only 1 HDTV (which is in my Steelers room)

stillers4me
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Just warn them ahead of time, win or lose, it's not going to be pleasant. :heh:

tube517
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Give them some Feet magazines to look at.

Chidi29
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
A divorce is the only solution. :sarcasm:

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Just warn them ahead of time, win or lose, it's not going to be pleasant. :heh:

This, and if that don't work, see below. lol

GoSlash27
01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Be a gracious host. You are free to do whatever during the game, but end it at the end. Win or lose (*ESPECIALLY* if we win), conduct yourself in a classy manner.
Your wife has accidentally placed you in the position of "ambassador for Steeler Nation". Just gotta make the best of it.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I've told my buddies I'm having a SB party as long as the Steelers are not in it. It just wouldn't be fair to put them through that. lol

JonM229
01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Punch him in the nuts right before the game starts. Tell him that's what he gets just for being there, imagine what you would do if he says anything.

CPanther95
01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Always good to have someone to rib there. My daughter married a Cowboys fan, so he is always rooting against the Steelers. Felt bad last week that we all had Terrible Towels and he had nothing, so I got him a green sock to twirl for Rex and the Jets.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Always good to have someone to rib there. My daughter married a Cowboys fan, so he is always rooting against the Steelers. Felt bad last week that we all had Terrible Towels and he had nothing, so I got him a green sock to twirl for Rex and the Jets.

You should get some pink nail polish and paint GO JEST! on it, lmao.

Craic
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
You don't understand. This is the PERFECT situation for you!

See, your wife put you in a position where you must show respect for her friends. You want to show your wife love and respect right? So this is what you do.

1. Have a nice meal for your wife. Sit down and share with her how happy you are that she feels comfortable inviting people to your house. Obviously, she is proud of what the two of you built.

2. Let her know, that you would like to honor her by showing the greatest respect to her friends.

3. Remind her that when you watch football, you often get to a place where you may let things be said that could hurt someone's feelings if they are not a Steelers fan.

4. Then, let her know that out of your love, sacrifice, and concern for her, her honor, and her friendship, you have made the sacrifice- and went and bought a second HDTV for the front room.

5. Now, when she gets ready to protest, remind her that this is just as painful for you as it is for her. You will be forced to isolate yourself in your Steelers room whenever you start getting upset-away from her love, graciousness, and care, not to mention the food!

6. If that doesn't work, then remind her she invited the idiot jets fans over and this is just the price the "little lady" is going to have to pay in order to have "her" friends in "your" home that you paid for with "your money". ANd after all, its "your money" that bought both TVs.

I am available for marriage counseling if you get to number six!

pepsyman1
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Punch him in the nuts right before the game starts. Tell him that's what he gets just for being there, imagine what you would do if he says anything.

JonM....THAT is funny...but you know we only do that to our Ravens friends before division games. lol

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
here is a very un Dino like response.

Welcome the Jets fan into your home. Enjoy the game with this person (or people) and have fun, jumping yelling giving each other a hard time during the game.

when it looks like the game is in Hand for the Steelers, Politely offer your Guest some tissues.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I didn't give you an option on how to react should the Steelers lose, because the Steelers losing is NOT AN OPTION.

so there you have it.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM

See, your wife put you in a position where you must show respect for her friends. You want to show your wife love and respect right? So this is what you do.

1. Have a nice meal for your wife. Sit down and share with her how happy you are that she feels comfortable inviting people to your house. Obviously, she is proud of what the two of you built.

2. Let her know, that you would like to honor her by showing the greatest respect to her friends.

3. Remind her that when you watch football, you often get to a place where you may let things be said that could hurt someone's feelings if they are not a Steelers fan.

4. Then, let her know that out of your love, sacrifice, and concern for her, her honor, and her friendship, you have made the sacrifice- and went and bought a second HDTV for the front room.

5. Now, when she gets ready to protest, remind her that this is just as painful for you as it is for her. You will be forced to isolate yourself in your Steelers room whenever you start getting upset-away from her love, graciousness, and care, not to mention the food!

6. If that doesn't work, then remind her she invited the idiot jets fans over and this is just the price the "little lady" is going to have to pay in order to have "her" friends in "your" home that you paid for with "your money". ANd after all, its "your money" that bought both TVs.

:rofl2::rofl2::thumbsup::tea:

HometownGal
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM

:lol: :applaudit: :lol: Excellent Father!

Ted - I think she owes you an all expense paid trip to the Burgh next season with 2 tickets to the game of your choice. :thumbsup:

kittenfantastico76
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
It's like when you watch a movie trailer or a movie... you're always warned about what you're about to see, how it may or may not be appropriate for certain audiences. Go ahead, make a poster and put it on the door. Some words will not be suitable for Jets Fans and their Ears - Enter at your own risk. Thank you and enjoy the show.

GOOD LUCK!!! I've watched games with Titans fans and I always get the side eye from them. I assume their inner voices are saying "This girl is crazy!"

kittenfantastico76
01-20-2011, 04:56 PM

I like this, I like it a lot.

Count Steeler
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Wife to the dog house, watch the game with your dog.

ALLD
01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
You better have a talk with your wife and explained she crossed the line. Ask her if it would be ok for you to invite over some strippers and ex-girlfriends to watch the game too.

smokin3000gt
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Tough situation buddy..

I would warn them ahead of time that you're animated when you watch the game win or lose. If we are behind in the first half and he's pushing your buttons/antagonizing you then :

A) quietly stand up and smash the lamp into a million pieces on the living room floor.

or

B) Calmly ask your guest if you could borrow his JETS hat for just a moment. Put the hat on your dog then kick him in the ribs.

BigNastyDefense
01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
You better have a talk with your wife and explained she crossed the line. Ask her if it would be ok for you to invite over some strippers and ex-girlfriends to watch the game too.

:rofl2:

I watched the game against the Rats at a local BW3, and I live in the greater Cleveland area.

I yelled (very loud), I was actually quite obnoxious according to this family of Clowns fans sitting near me. I told them to stop being jealous little bitches and talk shit when their team wins something.

Just warn them when they arrive that you're a different person when watching the Steelers and that if they cannot deal with it, there's the door.

Psycho Ward 86
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Give them some Feet magazines to look at.

LOL

Burghfan58
01-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Uhh.... That would not work in my home. I am to animated during a game for casual guests from the opposing team to be around. My wife would be embarrased unless her guests were crazy. If I were strapped to a chair and my mouth ductaped it might go ok.

86WARD
01-20-2011, 07:57 PM

QFT!

Devilsdancefloor
01-20-2011, 08:01 PM
well i feel your pain first off my wifey is a cryboys fan and during super bowl 43 she invited every one of here friends that was rooting for the cards. right before harrisons INT one of them stood up and said hey you look like your ready to cry want a tissue. well Harrison int and scores well it was on then! i am very animated and my children are as well (all steelers fans :) ) Anyway i a couple from that game refuses to come over anymore. So youi should warn them that you live and die with the steelers and you might say some things win or lose they might not want to here. You also need to tell your wife several times before the game "you know me and the steelers on game day". Good Luck

steelreserve
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
surprise butt secks.

Do I mean on your wife, or on your friend? That part's up to you.

steeldevil
01-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Cancel. I already told my gf that it will be just us 2 this Sunday and if the Steelers play in the superbowl it will just be us 2 as well. We were gonna throw a party for the superbowl but not if we are in it. I watched SB 43 with about 20 people and when Fitz scored that go ahead touchdown I ended up yelling at a girl I didn't even know.

Steeltreal
01-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Im a hardcore fan, last sat when we were down by 14 not to good to be around

You should tone it down Mr. "hardcore", not good the be around cause your whining or what?
My mood at halftime was a bit drunk but still laughing.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Cancel. I already told my gf that it will be just us 2 this Sunday and if the Steelers play in the superbowl it will just be us 2 as well. We were gonna throw a party for the superbowl but not if we are in it. I watched SB 43 with about 20 people and when Fitz scored that go ahead touchdown I ended up yelling at a girl I didn't even know.

lmao, I could so see myself doing this. That is why I completely avoid those situations. Sorry I'm laughing cause I'm sure you felt horrible afterwards, I can just imagine watching that happen is just makes me laugh.

NCSteeler
01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
Divorce might be in order. I hate watching games with anyone over fan or not. I like to concentrate on the game not chit chat. Also too often I find the casual fan has too many stupid comments during the game, "listen I'll teach you about football another time, NOT NOW" . Most times if were down my wife cusses more than I do, she's not totally gained the faith yet.

2004 made the mistake of accepting an invitation to a party during the Jets Steelers playoff, we nearly lost and I got harassed by people who are a fan of no team at all, entire time. I swore to never do that again.

Anyhow, if you promise to be a good visitor you can come watch at my place, at worst you'll be banished to the 42 inch in the basement.

solardave
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
I agree it would be fun if they were friends but I only meant them a few times. yea I have another TV but only 1 HDTV (which is in my Steelers room)

Easy,let them watch on the other TV.

Galax Steeler
01-21-2011, 03:24 AM

A green sock Ha Ha.

Indo
01-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Spike their drinks with Ex-Lax----that ought to get them outta the room!:countdown

@Preacher: that's classic!

BTW, I also get very "animated" during games----I hear The Girl saying, "Stop Yelling! you're scaring the dogs!" at least a dozen times every game

venom
01-21-2011, 08:41 AM
My beautiful wife knows better ( notice the beautiful , lol ) . She will never invite company to our house for a football game ( especially when the Steelers play ) without letting me know first. When the Steelers play , I turn into another person that deserves at least 50 personal fouls throughout the game .

P.S. The wife is a Pats fan

lamont_jordan_rules
01-21-2011, 09:50 AM
... quick question ... what's the guys wife look like?

... may want to base your answer on that ;) ...

l_j_r

Indo
01-21-2011, 10:22 AM
P.S. The wife is a Pats fan

I think I'd have to kill myself...

BlastFurnace
01-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I love my wife to death but sometimes shes just to nice and thought it would be a good idea to invite a friend of hers and her husband that were born in New York and are Jets fans. I told her okay (really what else could I say) Im a hardcore fan, last sat when we were down by 14 not to good to be around then when we won also not to good to be around if you no what I mean. I let my emotions out good and bad while watching the game. There not really die hard fans so if (i mean when) they lose they will go on with their day, but me the total opposite. How do i handle this situation?

I can't stand watching the games with opposing fans. Even when you're team is doing well, you can't unleash. You just have to be polite not to rub it in.

Craic
01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I can't stand watching the games with opposing fans. Even when you're team is doing well, you can't unleash. You just have to be polite not to rub it in.

Exactly. I don't even answer the phone.

Craic
01-21-2011, 10:20 PM
@Preacher: that's classic!

and thank you sir!

PalmerSteel
01-21-2011, 11:12 PM
i am a pretty forgiving man and "always" abide by the rules, but boy i dont know if i could control my anger for not getting my aPPROVAL FIRST.

The WH
01-22-2011, 03:47 AM
my dad did this when the steelers played san diego in 08. thing is he never told me. i walked into my parents house and find 4 chargers fans on my couch drinking my beer. they were rude.

i watched the game in another room. assholes.

Craic
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
my dad did this when the steelers played san diego in 08. thing is he never told me. i walked into my parents house and find 4 chargers fans on my couch drinking my beer. they were rude.

i watched the game in another room. assholes.

Of course, it would have been fun to sit with them in the third quarter.

The WH
01-23-2011, 03:22 AM
Of course, it would have been fun to sit with them in the third quarter.
i remember running around in circles behind their couch going WHOO WHOO WHOO. hahahaha

Steel
01-23-2011, 05:13 AM
My entire family are Browns fans(damn black sheep!). Once in awhile I would watch Steeler games at my Dads but it got extremely difficult containing my anger when some of my family would cheer for any play made by the opposing team out of sheer hatred for the Steelers. So I figure if family can be such idiots when it comes to the Steelers playing then I definitely would never want to watch the AFCC game with an opposing fan.

I don't envy your position that for sure but I would at a minimum explain to your wife your feelings on the subject, that way maybe in the future she would consider your feelings prior to inviting someone else over to watch the "GAME"!!!

NCSteeler
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Well How did it go? Let me guess they left unhappy!!

Hindes204
01-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Well How did it go? Let me guess they left unhappy!!

Hahaha, I was just looking for this thread, I'm interested too

fansince'76
01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
My impression was that the guests were casual Jets fans who really wouldn't have been bothered all that much by the Jets losing. :noidea:

Carolina Steelers
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM
Well let me tell you. I was really geared up before the kick-off waiting for them to showup. So they didnt even show up till the Steelers were up 10-0, they didnt say much, offered them some pizza (my wife did) we spoke alittle but not to much the husband had more knowledge about the game then I thought. I was proud of my self so far 17-0, I broke a little smile high fived my son but kept it low key at this point then the sack fumble came need I say more 24-0 still proud of myself did a little chest beating but nothing major. Then the Jets got that FG before half, I tried to tell him the jets are still in this game just need a few plays they get ball at half anything can happen asked the ravens about last week (not meaning any of this just trying to be a good host in my heart i was jumping for joy we were killing them). Then we all know what happen jets made a little run Holmes made that TD catch then he pointed to my SI cover (The Catch XLIII) u guys wish you still had him, he started getting a little bold. My wife smiled she knew it was on then the gloves came off. we went back and fourth the rest of the game (in good fun most of the time) but when Ben completed that pass to Brown to seal the game that was it, hands in the air high fives all the way around even had my wife key up the computer (i had Roger Wood on pause half way through the 4th) here we go steelers started playing. He cracked a smile and told me good game. So all and all not a bad expereince it helped that the Steelers won or this whole experience would have been awful. But I held up my end to the Mrs. and the Steelers held up their end for me!!!!!!!!!!! :tt02:

O'Malley
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Divorce might be in order. I hate watching games with anyone over fan or not. I like to concentrate on the game not chit chat. Also too often I find the casual fan has too many stupid comments during the game, "listen I'll teach you about football another time, NOT NOW" . Most times if were down my wife cusses more than I do, she's not totally gained the faith yet.

2004 made the mistake of accepting an invitation to a party during the Jets Steelers playoff, we nearly lost and I got harassed by people who are a fan of no team at all, entire time. I swore to never do that again.

Anyhow, if you promise to be a good visitor you can come watch at my place, at worst you'll be banished to the 42 inch in the basement.

I had my nieces over and every five minutes they were asking me questions and walking in front of the TV. Then I got up and had a smoke and my Sister in Law took my seat. I'm very supersticious about were I sit. I feel your pain!