PDA

View Full Version : Confidence level AFC title game, Steelers vs. Jets.

zulater
01-20-2011, 10:33 AM
How confident are you in a Steelers win against the Jets?

The Duke
01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Higher than the ravens game that's for sure

Sanchez is NOT a good QB, so with this defense we should be a be able to beat them, even if it is a 9-6 game

X-Terminator
01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Right now, I'm kind of thumbs in the middle. I'm concerned about the offense being able to move the ball effectively against the Jets' D, especially through the air. And on defense, I'm worried that they'll have a relapse back to the Steelers' D that allowed average QBs to throw for gobs of yardage against them. I think they will win, but it's going to be another nailbiter that may come down to Sushi's leg in 10 degree weather. I'm just not as confident as I was last week.

fansince'76
01-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Cautiously optimistic, as always.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Cautiously optimistic, as always.

same

zulater
01-20-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm hoping that Braylon reverts to his long established dropsie ways that he's somehow temporarily avoided of late. More than anything else I worried that we wont be able to cover all their recievers, and one will shake loose and make a killing catch. But that said, I think our pass rush and the elements will neutralize Sanchez to the point that it wont matter if we blow a coverage here and there, because he wont be up to getting the ball where it needs to be on time and accurately. So put me down on the high side of cautiously optimistic.

Steelers pull away late, 23-17

salamander
01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic. While Sanchez isn't an elite QB, this is the AFC Championship game so anything can happen.

I'm thinking 20-17.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 11:08 AM
As if I'd have it any other way...95% +++++++++

zulater
01-20-2011, 11:10 AM
As if I'd have it any other way...95% +++++++++

Yay Dino! Love your optimism! :applaudit:

Randy06
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I feel in my head we will win, but my head is saying otherwise pointing out flaws, and that whole thing about making it to the AFCCG two years in a row and winning it the second time worries me.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
I feel in my head we will win, but my head is saying otherwise pointing out flaws, and that whole thing about making it to the AFCCG two years in a row and winning it the second time worries me.

Why, who says they can't be the new Eagles..lmao

Randy06
01-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Why, who says they can't be the new Eagles..lmao

Lmao I can hope!

Texasteel
01-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't think it is just optimism. You look at the last game, we were missing two of our main player that if they played only average most likely would have turned that game in our favor. Plus, I think any football person would tell you that is very hard to beat a good team twice in one year, at their house. Plus, what the Jets do well, the Steelers are the best at stopping.

Is it a sure thing? Nope. Do I think we are going to win? Yep.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
plus, its not like other teams haven't made back to back championship games only to lose...

Oakland lost 3 in a row in the early 70s, 2 in a row to the Steelers
Oilers lost 2 in a row in the late 70s, both to the Steelers
Chargers lost 2 in a row in the early 80s
Browns lost 2 in a row in the later 80s, lost 3 out of 4 in fact.
Now, more recently, the AFC hasn't had too much of that. In fact, the Steelers and the Patriots are the only two teams, in the last decade, to lose it one year, and then go back and win it the next year.

NFC Same kind of thing
49ers lost 2 in a row in the 70s
Cowboys lost 2 in a row in the early 70s
Rams lost 3 in a row in the 70s
Cowboys lost 3 in a row in the 80s
49ers lost 2 in a row in the 90s
Eagles lost 3 in a row in the last decade.

So its not unheard of to lose back to back title games.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
now, historically, in the NFC
The Rams lost it in 78, went back and won it in 79
49ers lost it in 83, went back and won it in 84
Bears lost it in 84, went back and won it in 85
Redskins lost it in 86, won it in 87
49ers lost it in 93, won it in 94
Packers lost in 95, won it in 96
Eagles lost in 01,02,03, won it in 04

AFC
Oakland lost in 75, won it in 76
Steelers lost in 94 won it in 95
Steelers lost in 04 won it in 05
Pats lost in 06 won in 07

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 11:49 AM

I posted all the info you need to review, I was responding to this post...so...ya know...don't worry. If we are meant to win, we will be Victorious!

venom
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm getting crushed here in nYc . Please if there is an Allah , let the Steelers win so I can walk into the Jets clubhouse store here in Times Square and browse around for stuff, lol

GoSlash27
01-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Good teams focus more on their own game than the opponents, and that's what the Jets seem to be doing this time.
I'm feeling pretty darn confident because I think we know how to beat the Jets schematically, but they have no idea how to beat us.

steelpride12
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Cautiously atomistic. I agree that Sanchez in not a very good QB and the Jets relied on their run game and Greene a lot in their last two play off games, which of course won't happen against us and Im confident our secondary and defense will handle him. Can't forget this team beat us, yes we didn't have Troy or Miller which are 2 HUGE players, but they still won and beat us at home and their secondary shut Ben down, so getting the lead and holding it will be important because points won't come easily.
Steelers-20
Jets-17

stlrtruck
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm always that way during the playoffs. I can list off every way in which our opponent should and could beat us, almost Tomlin-like, I make them to be the better team. And this jets team is no different. They've won in Indy, and NE, and have been playing stubborn defense. Let alone, their swagger is there, the confidence to go in to a stadium and WIN!

GoSlash27
01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm always that way during the playoffs. I can list off every way in which our opponent should and could beat us, almost Tomlin-like, I make them to be the better team. And this jets team is no different. They've won in Indy, and NE, and have been playing stubborn defense. Let alone, their swagger is there, the confidence to go in to a stadium and WIN!

Honestly, I'd like to hear them. The way I stack these two teams up, the Steelers are clearly superior IMO. Even spotting them Troy and Heath, We were never more than one play away from blowing this game wide open on them, and even then they needed a lot of breaks. About the only thing I see going their way this time is special teams. They're talking about laying off the pressure on Ben this time. Personally, I don't think that's going to help their cause. I picture this game turning into a rout very easily.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
I guess...I could break down every game this year...see how the Jets did when trailing, or with a lead...and compare it to how the Steelers did...see if there is any chance that if we get up by 10 or so, that the Jets have what it takes to come back on us...

that'll take time...

GoSlash27
01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Dino,
I agree, that would take time. Like most Steeler fans, I know every little detail about our team and only the general stuff about most opponents (particularly ones out of our division). If you do that, I'd really like to see it, but keep in mind that you're comparing the most recent teams rather than the early stuff.

Dino 6 Rings
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Right, I'll break it down for the season...per game...with leads and results vs comebacks or comeback failures.

Burghman
01-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Just as long as they are not cocky.

GoSlash27
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Dino,
I look forward to seeing it. What I'd really like to see, though, is a comparison of strengths and weaknesses. Here's my theory...
Giving NY cred because they beat NE and Indy is kind of misguided. That's what they've been built from the ground-up to do. Teams are designed to beat a certain type of team, which can leave them vulnerable to a different type of team. Sort of a rock-papers-scissors thing. Indy and NE are similar teams. West-coast, darling QBs, weak against the run. Pittsburgh, OTOH, is the type of team that struggles against the west coast, but chews up running teams with scripted passing (such as NY).
The way I see it (and Lord knows I've been wrong before) all we have to do to win is go out and play what we were built to play. New York has to radically alter their style (it's too late to change players) in order to compete. They basically need to *be* the Patriots, but they're not set up to do that.

HometownGal
01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm very optimistic. :thumbsup: Not at 100% as anything can happen on any given game day, but if the Steelers can continue where they left off last Saturday and play Pittsburgh Steelers football for 60 minutes on Sunday, they're going to Dallas.

HometownGal
01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm very optimistic. :thumbsup: Not at 100% as anything can happen on any given game day, but if the Steelers can continue where they left off last Saturday and play Pittsburgh Steelers football for 60 minutes on Sunday, they're going to Dallas.

Steelers 27
Jets 17

SteelGhost
01-20-2011, 03:48 PM

^This.

Steelers 24 Jets 13 :tt02:

Count Steeler
01-20-2011, 04:20 PM

And the Bills went to the SB four in a row, with nothing to show.

Count Steeler
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
If the STs don't lay an egg, we will prevail large. I'm going with 34-13, with Troy and Woodley coming up big on D and Ben and the kids showing us what they are made off.

Carolina Steelers
01-20-2011, 05:25 PM
If the STs don't lay an egg, we will prevail large. I'm going with 34-13, with Troy and Woodley coming up big on D and Ben and the kids showing us what they are made off.

I was thinking the same thing ST's. They returned the opening KO for a TD last time. if we hold up on that end, I really like are chances, and no dumb TO's in our own field. I dont see the Jets going for many long drives against us if they score it will be on a short field.

86WARD
01-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Less and less confident as the week goes on. I really think that if the Steelers can't get to Sanchez, Holmes and Edwards will have big days. THe Jets and Packers are playing some of the best ball out there. Am I ready to throw up the white flag? Not yet, but I'm getting less confident as the week goes on. Holmes scares the shit out of me...

Watching the Ravens game again last night, there were 3-4 plays that if they go the other way, the Steelers lose that game easily...that scares me.

fansince'76
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Watching the Ravens game again last night, there were 3-4 plays that if they go the other way, the Steelers lose that game easily...that scares me.

That can be said for pretty much every game every week. The Jets were damned lucky Crumpler dropped that pass in the end zone - he holds onto that, it's a different ball game. Not to mention the INT they failed to capitalize on. The Jets are playing well, but they're not perfect. I'm also hoping for more of what we saw from the Steelers in the second half against the Ravens, not the first.

HometownGal
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM

Go back and watch it again, 86. Had it not been for the Steelers costly turnovers in the first half, the Steelers would have blown the Rats back to Baltimore. We totally dominated that game in every respect.

What good does it really do to worry about something that is out of your control? :noidea: That's the way I look at it and besides - I don't want high blood pressure. :heh:

Psycho Ward 86
01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm very optimistic. I give the Steelers a 24-14 win. The game will look a lot closer than a 10 point spread, but I really think they got lucky the last time and I just cant see the Jets staying on a role.

Psycho Ward 86
01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Less and less confident as the week goes on. I really think that if the Steelers can't get to Sanchez, Holmes and Edwards will have big days. THe Jets and Packers are playing some of the best ball out there. Am I ready to throw up the white flag? Not yet, but I'm getting less confident as the week goes on. Holmes scares the shit out of me...

Winning close games with such regularity isn't a product of luck. It's a quality of a team.

zulater
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
That can be said for pretty much every game every week. The Jets were damned lucky Crumpler dropped that pass in the end zone - he holds onto that, it's a different ball game. Not to mention the INT they failed to capitalize on. The Jets are playing well, but they're not perfect. I'm also hoping for more of what we saw from the Steelers in the second half against the Ravens, not the first.

The Jets were also lucky the Pats tried an ill advised fake punt, and that Brady mysteriously lost track of time in the 4th quarter.

zulater
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM

Actually after rewatching that game I come out more confident about this one coming. The Steelers were far better than the Ravens, if not for an ill advised reverse, a missed tackle on a Raven punt return, a dropped interception by Gay, a bad penalty on Madison, etc... and the Steelers win that game going away. The Steelers held the Ravens to under 200 yards, the better team won, just not by as much as they should have.

Get over it.

86WARD
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Go back and watch it again, 86. Had it not been for the Steelers costly turnovers in the first half, the Steelers would have blown the Rats back to Baltimore. We totally dominated that game in every respect.

What good does it really do to worry about something that is out of your control? :noidea: That's the way I look at it and besides - I don't want high blood pressure. :heh:

I'm very aware of where and when the Steelers dominated. The first half, they were subpar at best. Second half, unstoppable. Of course there are plays that go this way or that way every week, but there were quite a few plays (more than normal) that gave the Steelers the win. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about it...I just don't feel like the Ravens win was a "solid" win if you know what I mean.

Holmes scares me b/c he makes big plays in big games. Theoretically, Edwards and Holmes are one of the worst receiving pairs in the league, a couple of the tops in the league in dropped passes the last several years. But the fact that Tone can show up in the "big games," that's what scares me most and Polamalu played one of his worst games last week that I've seen him play in a long time. That worries me that he's not 100%...

JayC
01-20-2011, 07:51 PM
jets scare me about the same level as the rats this year (NE terrified me so thank you jets). Last week I said 30-50%, this time i feel a little bit better just because the jets arent as personal as the ravens to me so a little of the tension i had is gone so its 50-70%. for the ravens, i dont want the whole team going anywhere, but for the jets i just dont want holmes going anywhere, it's kinda different.

Psycho Ward 86
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm very aware of where and when the Steelers dominated. The first half, they were subpar at best. Second half, unstoppable. Of course there are plays that go this way or that way every week, but there were quite a few plays (more than normal) that gave the Steelers the win. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about it...I just don't feel like the Ravens win was a "solid" win if you know what I mean.

Holmes scares me b/c he makes big plays in big games. Theoretically, Edwards and Holmes are one of the worst receiving pairs in the league, a couple of the tops in the league in dropped passes the last several years. But the fact that Tone can show up in the "big games," that's what scares me most and Polamalu played one of his worst games last week that I've seen him play in a long time. That worries me that he's not 100%...

Blowing teams out as opposed to winning closer games doesn't make this a bad squad. You underestimate us.

86WARD
01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
You underestimate us.

Not really. Steelers are the better team by far imo...however, just don't see this game as a cake walk as some fans do...wouldn't be shocked either way.

steelreserve
01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
95%+. I'd be surprised if we lost this game. They're basically the Ravens with a worse defense. As long as we keep our heads out of our own asses this time, we ought to win by 10 points at least.

Steeltreal
01-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Last week the ov/under was 38. I figured pit could put 30 by itself and took overs.

The ov/under this week is 39. Again i think Pit can put up 30+, but this defense can blank the JETS.

Steelers 35
Jets 3

Psycho Ward 86
01-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Not really. Steelers are the better team by far imo...however, just don't see this game as a cake walk as some fans do...wouldn't be shocked either way.

Lol I'm with ya on that one. I get tired of seeing homerism on these boards. Some of us just say it how it is, how they actually feel

GoSlash27
01-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Lol I'm with ya on that one. I get tired of seeing homerism on these boards. Some of us just say it how it is, how they actually feel

Pittsburgh is the better team. Nuthin' "homer" about that. Pit these two against each other 10 times and you'll get a Pittsburgh win 8 or 9 times. That doesn't necessarily mean that we *will* win, though. This could be that 1 out of 10.

The Duke
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
95%+. I'd be surprised if we lost this game. They're basically the Ravens with a worse defense. As long as we keep our heads out of our own asses this time, we ought to win by 10 points at least.

and a worse quarterback

We SHOULD beat them. It would be a huge crap in the bed if we didn't. The bye week rust should be gone, they are more rested and experienced. Plus we have ben and the jets don't

We got this

Butch
01-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't think it is just optimism. You look at the last game, we were missing two of our main player that if they played only average most likely would have turned that game in our favor. Plus, I think any football person would tell you that is very hard to beat a good team twice in one year, at their house. Plus, what the Jets do well, the Steelers are the best at stopping.

Is it a sure thing? Nope. Do I think we are going to win? Yep.

Right there with ya' Buddy!!!

We have Ben, Hines and Superman Troy and if Troy doesn't get ya' Ryan will.

It's not about them it's about us and when that's the case I love our chances!!!

pepsyman1
01-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Their offense wasn't able to do anything against us the first game, we beat them in every statistical category and put up almost 400 yards of offense...it just didn't turn into points. If we are as aggressive on defense as we were against the Ravens, Sanchez will make Flacco look like Joe Montana. I think Ziggy Hood is going to be as dominant as last week and allow Harrison to become a complete nightmare for Sanchez. The Jets offense won't put up more than 13 points...as long as we don't give the defense points it's a done deal.

venom
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Steelers 27
Jets 17

I picked the same score earlier today somewhere in this forum . Great minds think the same , lol

Nadroj 20
01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I voted very confident but im not on the high end of the percent scale...Just as its important for players not to go in too confident I think its fine to be optimistic and see that the Jets are a good team ( or they wouldnt be here) and we cant take them lightly (beat us once already).

Sanchez is worse then Flacco and we made flacco look like he was a rookie again...we also have troy and heath back so I like our chances.

Dino 6 Rings
01-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Dino,
I agree, that would take time. Like most Steeler fans, I know every little detail about our team and only the general stuff about most opponents (particularly ones out of our division). If you do that, I'd really like to see it, but keep in mind that you're comparing the most recent teams rather than the early stuff.

Ok, I'm working on this, I'm done through week 5 of the Jets Schedule...I'm including every game stat, and what they did against who and how that team finished in each category for the year, its a project though...I hope to have it posted later tonight...I'll call it "The Ultimate Breakdown" or something in a thread starter...

T&B fan
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Steelers 34
Jets 10

Troy gets 3 picks 1 for a TD

86WARD
01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Pittsburgh is the better team. Nuthin' "homer" about that. Pit these two against each other 10 times and you'll get a Pittsburgh win 8 or 9 times. That doesn't necessarily mean that we *will* win, though. This could be that 1 out of 10.

2 out of 10...

;)

GoSlash27
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
2 out of 10...

;)

"One of those 2 out of 10". :p

stlrtruck
01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Honestly, I'd like to hear them. The way I stack these two teams up, the Steelers are clearly superior IMO. Even spotting them Troy and Heath, We were never more than one play away from blowing this game wide open on them, and even then they needed a lot of breaks. About the only thing I see going their way this time is special teams. They're talking about laying off the pressure on Ben this time. Personally, I don't think that's going to help their cause. I picture this game turning into a rout very easily.

Again, this is just how I view the game because I don't want to under estimate the team we play. I'm fully aware of our team and what they can do and how they can stop what you're about to read. With that in mind here we go:

Offensively: Sanchez has been playing well and not turning the ball over. He's done a great job of reading the defenses and finding the open WR. WRs that include Holmes, great in the slant rout and can break it open. Edwards, while usually bobbly hands, he's come on strong. Their offensive line has kept Sanchez clean and that benefits Sanchez more and more.

Defensively: They are as aggressive as the Steelers and have a shut down corner. Cromoradie has also been playing well, let alone his special teams abilities. The LBs can get at you whether it be the blitz or coverage. They love to lay the lumber and they create turnovers.

STs: Well they had a kickoff return for a TD against us in the last game. And the ST returns against the patriots* helped the jets and give Sanchez a short field.

Galax Steeler
01-22-2011, 04:47 AM
I am very confident we should be able to come out and move the ball while our defense will give Sanchez all he can handle.

Texasteel
01-22-2011, 04:59 AM
The futher we get into the week, the more confident I am of a Steelers win. I think we are just a better team all around. The big weekness for us has been the OL and they have started to play much better lately. We will also need to be careful on the ST, but I think that they can play well enough to keep what happened in the first game from happening again.

Can the Jets beat us, sure they can. Will they, no, I don't think so.

steelreserve
01-22-2011, 03:23 PM
and a worse quarterback

We SHOULD beat them. It would be a huge crap in the bed if we didn't. The bye week rust should be gone, they are more rested and experienced. Plus we have ben and the jets don't

We got this

I honestly think Flacco is the worse quarterback. He completely folds under pressure (mental or literal). Had a good rookie year, and people have overrated him based on potential while he hasn't gotten any better. Was supposed to have the best receiving corps in the NFL this year, and their offense still couldn't do shit. We are WAY inside his head and he totally loses his shit when we play him tough. Actually, Flacco is probably the most overrated QB in the league other than Romo.

XxKnightxX
01-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Im on the teeter totter. One day I feel so confident, but then having to listen to ESPN New Yorks homerism makes me mad and at the same time very aware of our flaws. They act like Sanchez and their defense is unstoppable because they beat up a beat up Indy team and a NE team that Im not gonna lie got their asses whooped by the Jets who wanted it more. But I think the fact that I, along like some others, still havent gotten over that hump of our bad misfortunes in AFC Championship games, and thats whats scares me. What scares me is the Steelers beating the Steelers, not the Jets beating the steelers.

Overall, Steelers 23 Jets 17

Boh
01-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Steelers will whoop that ass handily.