PDA

View Full Version : Jets may ditch blitz against Steelers

Galax Steeler
01-20-2011, 03:16 AM
New York Jets coach Rex Ryan called blitzes against Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning 63 percent of the time in an AFC Championship Game loss last year. During the Jets' playoff rematch two weeks ago, he called for his defense to blitz 15 percent of the time. The Jets won.

In the New England Patriots' 45-3 shellacking of the Jets in early December, Ryan called 22 blitzes, and Tom Brady responded by throwing three touchdowns. Last week the Jets scaled back to 16 blitzes, and Brady was ineffective, throwing for only 91 yards when the Jets sent extra rushers in a 28-21 New York victory.

Read more:http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_718984.html

HometownGal
01-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Mike Wallace says it best:

"I like our chances with our quarterback," Wallace said, "no matter what they do."

A-Ben. :thumbsup:

Bluecoat96
01-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Man this will be an exciting game!!!

lamont_jordan_rules
01-20-2011, 08:08 AM
In the New England Patriots' 45-3 shellacking, Ryan called 22 blitzes,

Last week the Jets scaled back to 16 blitzes

... wow, the fact that the difference was only 6 is very surprising to me ...

... it felt like such a 1000% different game ... and i remember what seems to be a ton of plays where brady had 6, 7, 8, 9 seconds back there last weekend ... i was amazed the secondary was able to keep the pats wr,te,&rb's covered that whole time ...

l_j_r

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 08:14 AM
... wow, the fact that the difference was only 6 is very surprising to me ...

... it felt like such a 1000% different game ... and i remember what seems to be a ton of plays where brady had 6, 7, 8, 9 seconds back there last weekend ... i was amazed the secondary was able to keep the pats wr,te,&rb's covered that whole time ...

l_j_r

To be honest I don't think it matters weather or not Ryan sends the blitz, the Jets are going to get pressure with as beat up as our line is. It prolly would benefit him to play more coverage, however, we do have a legitimate threat at running back whereas Indy and the Pats* didn't. Mendy could gash a 3-8 and with our sets, it would be easy for Ben to audible right into one of those draws. Also, those coverages will leave lanes for Ben to scramble for first downs. That's exactly what he did to the Ravens last week, and as soon as they brought them closer to the line, BOOM, the big shot down the field. Revis will minimize that some but Ben has been looking at his 3rd and 4th option a lot lately.

ALLD
01-20-2011, 02:01 PM
They will have to blitz some because our WRs can outrun any of their DBs at anytime. A good running game and passing scheme whould make this an easier win than what the media is hyping.

Steeldude
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
he only needs to rush one person to effectively pressure the steelers' QB :)

it would be great if they didn't blitz much. when teams blitz heavily the steelers tend to struggle.

JonM229
01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
We all saw what happens last week when you don't put pressure on Ben.

Goddamn 3rd and 19.

GoSlash27
01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
JonM,
Sorry, bud. :hug:
I mean, I'm not really "sorry" sorry, but you know what I mean.

NCSteeler
01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
I have a strong sense that Ryan is reviewing the blitz happy tape for the Eagles game a few years ago. All I got to say is he better not leave the middle of the field open, last game we really hit some nice plays on the LBers in the middle