PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Rebukes Holtzman

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...alking-plays/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/steelers-mike-tomlin-scolds-espns-bob-holtzman-for-talking-plays/1)

PITTSBURGH -- The New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers aren't doing any trash talking, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fired a zinger Wednesday at ESPN reporter Bob Holtzman.

Before the Steelers' playoff game with the Baltimore Ravens on Saturday, Holtzman reported the Steelers might use a gadget play.Mike Tomlin
CAPTIONBy Kirby Lee, US Presswire
"Two Steelers have told me, if they catch the Ravens in the right defense, they have a trick play ready to go today that they've never run before," Holtzman said prior to the game. He added it was a play on which somebody who typically doesn't pass would throw the ball -- and that it wouldn't be passing wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

At Tomlin's Wednesday news conference, Holtzman ask him how much extra time it takes to prepare for coach Rex Ryan's Jets defense.

"It depends on whether or not you give him my plays, you know," Tomlin said with steely eyes and without elaboration.

After the news conference, Holtzman declined comment on the matter.

Against Baltimore, QB Ben Roethlisberger was the lone Steeler to throw a pass. Pittsburgh did run two end around with WR Mike Wallace for minus two yards.

Edit: I didn't think that this report was bogus last week, hopefully Tomlin keeps this guy at arms length. Since he broke the code.

fansince'76
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Pittsburgh did run two end around with WR Mike Wallace for minus two yards.

But they do that pretty much every game with the same result. That's one play I wish they'd purge from the playbook. It never works - in fact, it consistently loses yardage.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
But they do that pretty much every game with the same result. That's one play I wish they'd purge from the playbook. It never works - in fact, it consistently loses yardage.

No doubt, you can see it coming from a mile away.

Chidi29
01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
LOL! I love it. I pray someone got that on camera.

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playoffs/09000d5d81dc9003/Tomlin-Destiny-is-what-you-make-it?module=HP_video

At the 1:35 mark

Bluecoat96
01-19-2011, 02:59 PM
LOL! I love it. I pray someone got that on camera.

I watched it on the NFL Network when they had the live press conference. Tomlin was awesome!!! I'm sure they'll show it on other stations as well. :)

GodfatherofSoul
01-19-2011, 03:00 PM
End arounds are setup plays for passes. Every few years the Steelers will run end-arounds or deep halfback sweeps for the beginning of the season, then throw a pass out of them at the end of the season. Can't remember the interview, but there are a lot of plays that we as fans think are garbage that are setting up something either later in the game, later in the season, or just getting opposing defenses to waste time preparing for.

Just saying, I wouldn't be too harsh the coaches for the occasional wasted play.

HometownGal
01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
:lol: :lol: That's our Coach T! :thumbsup: :drink:

I've come to really loathe the sports media in general over the last decade. :jerkit:

SteelerFanInStl
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I blame the two Steelers who told Holtzman about the play in the first place. That's pretty stupid.

SteelGhost
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
End arounds are setup plays for passes. Every few years the Steelers will run end-arounds or deep halfback sweeps for the beginning of the season, then throw a pass out of them at the end of the season. Can't remember the interview, but there are a lot of plays that we as fans think are garbage that are setting up something either later in the game, later in the season, or just getting opposing defenses to waste time preparing for.
Just saying, I wouldn't be too harsh the coaches for the occasional wasted play.

I can see your point GodfatherofSoul :thumbsup:

Kudos to Coach T. :tt02:

fansince'76
01-19-2011, 04:01 PM
I blame the two Steelers who told Holtzman about the play in the first place. That's pretty stupid.

Exactly. Sometimes "no comment" is more than sufficient.

Dino 6 Rings
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
they should run a flea flicker, where Ben hands it off to Mendy, Mendy goes to run, then flips it back to Ben and Ben chucks it 50 yards down field to a wide open Wallace

tube517
01-19-2011, 04:04 PM
They should run left. That will fool them all.

Dino 6 Rings
01-19-2011, 04:19 PM

HA HA HA HA!!! Greatness! They Should Too...first play from scrimmage...Run Left...8 yards at least!

hotrodder07
01-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I saw this on NFL Network earlier. I thought that was great by Tomlin. He certainly got his point across.

Burghfan58
01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
You may not agree with Tomlins game time decision making all the time but he is sharp as a scalpel at these press conferences.

Merchant
01-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Whoa.. Whoa.. let's not go crazy here

Count Steeler
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Wow is he impressive.

tube517
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Flag.....Kemo will dive into the pile. -15 yds.

HA HA HA HA!!! Greatness! They Should Too...first play from scrimmage...Run Left...8 yards at least!

KeiselPower99
01-19-2011, 06:46 PM
I wouldnt be suprised to see a El pass this week. Maybe break out the play from the Bengals playoff game.

GoSlash27
01-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm surprised Holtzman is even still hangin' around our team. He's gonna mess around and find his car on the roof. Or wedgied from the nearest tree...

Devilsdancefloor
01-19-2011, 08:52 PM
lmao that lok he gave him why scolding him is priceless! that is a look a father gives his child when they do something wrong!!

tube517
01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Wow, Mike T made the dude shut up!

Bwahahahahaha....u can't faze Coach Tomlin. He's a badass.

RushHard34
01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
haha tomlin was dead serious

JayC
01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
man that reporter set himself up perfectly for that. fail.

Wheelz
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
They are talking about the play where Ben ran out to the side, and I think it was Mendenhall ready to take the snap. We were all transfixed by it at the party where I was, and when the Steelers called a TO, we all speculated about how that might work.

Damn, I'll bet this is exactly what they were talking about, with Ben as an eligible receiver. lol