PDA

View Full Version : Statue of Washington Covered

7SteelGal43
01-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Are you effin' kidding me ?!

The NAACP holds a Martin Luther King, jr hold a rally and decide to cover the statue of our first president ?

http://www.myfoxchattanooga.com/dpp/news/national/foxnews/NAACP-Draws-Complaints-for-Covering-George-Washington-Statue-on-Martin-Luther-King-Day_66081115

43Hitman
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
The lack of respect for our founding fathers in this country is utterly disgraceful. There would be no Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. without George Washington, they should be celebrating that.

GoSlash27
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
They should remove the "N" from the front of their name. How can any "national" organization have such blatant disrespect for the founders of our "NATION"?

st33lersguy
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Not surprised, coming from a far-left organization

Hindes204
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
wow.....thats some bullshit

fansince'76
01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
The lack of respect for our founding fathers in this country is utterly disgraceful.

IMO, actions like these are largely symptomatic of a politically correct and "sanitized" version of revisionist history that's being pushed in this country which is more than just disgraceful, it's downright frightening. Yeah, slavery once existed in this country. Yeah, there was once overt and widespread oppression in this country. This country, like every other country, has been a party to some very unsavory things in its past. Don't deny it, don't block it out, learn from it.

Doc_Holiday
01-19-2011, 10:53 PM
I found it odd that this has been status quo for the last 10 years or so of them holding this event. Their excuse of "For aesthetic purposes..." falls short. But I wonder why there was no outrage over the past decade of them doing this?

Most people paint our founding fathers as saints and they were not. I don't think it was all that offensive for blocking off the statue as just stupid. Like throwing a drape on the "Lady of Justice" to hide her exposed breast.

GoSlash27
01-20-2011, 12:48 PM
I found it odd that this has been status quo for the last 10 years or so of them holding this event. Their excuse of "For aesthetic purposes..." falls short. But I wonder why there was no outrage over the past decade of them doing this?

Most people paint our founding fathers as saints and they were not. I don't think it was all that offensive for blocking off the statue as just stupid. Like throwing a drape on the "Lady of Justice" to hide her exposed breast.

I woulda been offended had I known it was going on. If it's been going on for 10 years, I wonder how it can go on for all that time and nobody mentioned it.

43Hitman
01-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I woulda been offended had I known it was going on. If it's been going on for 10 years, I wonder how it can go on for all that time and nobody mentioned it.

Me too.

smokin3000gt
01-20-2011, 06:12 PM
What blatant disrespect. It's so sad to see the direction that this country is going. Everyday I read something in the news that makes me shake my head in sadness and disbelief.

7SteelGal43
01-20-2011, 06:33 PM

I hate this "the founding fathers weren't saint's" bullcrap. Our founding fathers gave us the greatest country in the history of the world. As for it not being offensive, Doc, it was VERY offensive and the excuse of "aesthetic" purposes was complete and utter crap.

Doc_Holiday
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I hate this "the founding fathers weren't saint's" bullcrap. Our founding fathers gave us the greatest country in the history of the world. As for it not being offensive, Doc, it was VERY offensive and the excuse of "aesthetic" purposes was complete and utter crap.

I said their excuse falls short and it is a bullshit excuse. But our founding fathers, if you read history, didn't walk on water. They created our great country and accomplished things that have been unraveling for the past thirty years.

This direction everyone seems to fear we're headed has been happening for that long and I wonder where they've been. President Eisenhower warned of it; even Kennedy.

Our founding fathers were great men and of whom a good majority were also complete dicks or otherwise known as - politicians. The only one that seems to stand above the rest is President Washington.

If you think about it, it takes a few assholes to change things even in the positive. I hate that both sides of our political system are rewriting history as if everything was peace and love between our founding fathers and/or that they lovingly beat their slaves for sport. That's what bothers me - no one seems to actually know our history.

Akagi
01-21-2011, 07:21 PM
The lack of respect for our founding fathers in this country is utterly disgraceful. There would be no Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. without George Washington, they should be celebrating that.

Yeah; no slaves.

I think they should have left the statue uncovered, but that's just me. It is what it is, accept it all and move forward. But, they have their reasons, it wasn't illegal, it didn't involve us, and in the end, much ado about nothing.

7SteelGal43
01-21-2011, 08:11 PM
See, I just don't get these posters who say "it's no big deal" , "it really don't mean nothing"..,......really ?!!

Doc_Holiday
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Well we really don't know why they covered it up, so it may not mean anything. Then again, they could have had malicious reasons for doing so and I'd hope they'd give that.

But in the grand scheme of things, this isn't that horrible.

Devilsdancefloor
01-21-2011, 09:19 PM
play a bit of devils advocate, but what if it was a statue of MLK and a group covered it?

Doc_Holiday
01-21-2011, 09:27 PM
play a bit of devils advocate, but what if it was a statue of MLK and a group covered it?

Touche - I can see people screaming racism. Yes we have a double-standard and it's not going to go away anytime soon.

7SteelGal43
01-22-2011, 03:11 PM

THANK YOU !

As for "we really don't know why they covered it up", I mean we can all agree the "aesthetic purposes for the backdrop" angle was total BS, so what other possible reason could they have for covering it up other than a malicious reason ? Other than the "cover up the statue of the evil slave owning bastard" ?

Akagi
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
But it wasn't a statue of MLK... Let me ask you; do you doubt that somewhere, some white group hasn't covered such a statue? More likely they'd have defaced it.

Now more to the point of the guy who complained, "...the NAACP should stop putting its energy into apparently symbolic statements like this and start doing more to address problems like high-school dropout rates in the black community. 'These are things the NAACP should be dealing with rather than running around covering up statues of dead white guys,' Marcus said."

Azackly. It was a senseless thing to do not because it was disrespectful, but because it riled people up and didn't help solve anything.

steeldawg
01-23-2011, 12:29 AM
But it wasn't a statue of MLK... Let me ask you; do you doubt that somewhere, some white group hasn't covered such a statue? More likely they'd have defaced it.

Now more to the point of the guy who complained, "...the NAACP should stop putting its energy into apparently symbolic statements like this and start doing more to address problems like high-school dropout rates in the black community. 'These are things the NAACP should be dealing with rather than running around covering up statues of dead white guys,' Marcus said."

Azackly. It was a senseless thing to do not because it was disrespectful, but because it riled people up and didn't help solve anything.

Well you are right I expect this type of stuff from groups like the kkk or black panthers but the naacp is supposed to be a group protecting the rights of african americans not trying to rile people up or create tension.

Akagi
01-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Yes. Instead of symbols, fix real problems. It's stupid to cover statues because it doesn't do anything but hurt people.

The WH
02-05-2011, 12:50 PM
The founders of the United States stood for everything that the United States isn't right now.