PDA

View Full Version : Why do we continue to be so good through the years?

Craic
01-18-2011, 07:20 PM
The answer is found in the players themselves. Not their skills or ability, but them, and how they view team first, and others over themselves.

Antonio Brown- when asked about his catch, he said, "That was a great throw by Ben and um... HOW ABOUT THAT DEFENSE."

Ziggy Hood- On one of his good plays, "me and deisel had a twist stunt. He pushed the RB back to me and I was there to get him." also, -did you hear Casey, he said you grew up a lot today. What do you say about that, " Felt pretty good, there's a lot of still to work on." And when asked specifically about CLark, "He played like the great player he is.. shout out to the whole defense, and the offense. THey move dthe ball when we needed them to."

Rian Clark: Over and over, kept praising troy, Lebeau, etc. etc.

Ward: not too much said- but what is fascinating, is that half way through the interview, he yells for Suggs 3 times, and then gives him a hug. Yeah, a hug.

Wallace: when asked about being down, the game, etc. ALWAYS mentioned we, us, team. Never a singular first person. (same with ward).

Why are we great? Starts with attitude. No ME, all We.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Preach....did you forget Cliff Stoudt, David Woodley, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham, Mike Tomzak .....era's???

ALLD
01-18-2011, 08:10 PM
I remember when Dan Rooney was interviewed with Cowher in early 2004 and he said it was 'bout time the Steelers won another Super Bowl. It starts at the top.

st33lersguy
01-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Exactly, they build a team of we first players and build team chemistry, not of selfish overpriced free agents like T.O. or Albert Haynesworth

Hindes204
01-18-2011, 08:25 PM
I remember when Dan Rooney was interviewed with Cowher in early 2004 and he said it was 'bout time the Steelers won another Super Bowl. It starts at the top.

Exactly!

This organization is the epitome of class...there are those who hate us and talk smack about some players or what not, but there is never a word said about the ownership. The Rooneys always have been, and will continue to be, the most liked/respected owners in the game

GoSlash27
01-18-2011, 08:50 PM
It's about continuity, which stems from the fan base.
Our organization has the freedom to build an organization that's consistently good without worrying about the fans abandoning them. We pick a coach and he has the job for life. No rush to cobble together a team of superstars in hopes that they'll win before his contract is up, then try to rebuild. All the other teams are trying to copy each other looking for an edge, but we just keep on playing our own style our own way.
Our team is built on concepts that would bore most other fans.
So put it all together and we get a true team that borders on family. We have senior players that fill slots normally reserved for coaches and constantly have new talent quietly becoming great players without all the distraction of trying to carry too much too early. People want to play for this team and quite a few of them refuse to play for any other team.
It's a great way to run an organization and our success all stems from that.

tube517
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Answer to the original question: Hocus Pocus

Devilsdancefloor
01-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Preach....did you forget Cliff Stoudt, David Woodley, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham, Mike Tomzak .....era's???

i try to have selective memory until someone brings up mark malone!!

Galax Steeler
01-19-2011, 03:15 AM
The team hangs together and never says quit.

HometownGal
01-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Why are we great? Starts with attitude. No ME, all We.

That's the answer right there. :thumbsup:

The Steelers also don't feel the need to go out and buy superstar head cases to build their teams. They start with the draft and develop their own the Pittsburgh Steelers way.

There is no "I" in team just as there is no "I" in Steelers. :tt02:

memphissteelergirl
01-19-2011, 06:39 AM
Exactly, they build a team of we first players and build team chemistry, not of selfish overpriced free agents like T.O. or Albert Haynesworth

Ding...ding...ding! WIN!! :thumbsup:

SteelerEmpire
01-19-2011, 09:15 AM
That's the answer right there. :thumbsup:

The Steelers also don't feel the need to go out and buy superstar head cases to build their teams. They start with the draft and develop their own the Pittsburgh Steelers way.

There is no "I" in team just as there is no "I" in Steelers. :tt02:

Unlike the Raven's, Cowboy's, Bungles... etc...

The Duke
01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Definitely

And look at Brown who back at training camp was said to have a lil bit of an attitude problem, and look at where he is now :thumbsup:

LLT
01-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Definitely

And look at Brown who back at training camp was said to have a lil bit of an attitude problem, and look at where he is now :thumbsup:

Great point...I think Tomlin's approach with Brown and Sanders had a lot to do with that. Telling both of them that their was only one "hat"...and they had to prove on a weekley basis as to who had earned it....made BOTH of them work hard and put attitudes on the shelf.

Very smart.

zulater
01-19-2011, 10:32 AM
The one constant in the past 40 years is the Rooney's, especially Dan. Make no mistake about it, even though Dan is no longer in charge of the day to day activities, he's the one who set the standards, he's the one that instilled orginizational stability above all else. He's the one who hired Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin, Donahoe and Colbert. Steelers players know and respect the orginization from the top down, know there's a fair and reasonable system of checks and balances that flows from the upper echelon right on down to the last member of the practice squad. While that sounds like a simple mantra of smart business, look around the NFL, or team sports in general, and you'll find that's more the exception than the rule.

SteelerSal
01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Great post, Preacher!!