PDA

View Full Version : Goodell may clamp down on trash talk

stillers4me
01-18-2011, 07:18 PM
As the trash talking between New England and the New York Jets (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/new-york-jets/67057) comes to an end, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants to ensure there are no repeat incidents in 2011.

Goodell said the NFL will discuss further defining what language and messages are acceptable between competing teams and players. Goodell didn't say comments deemed inappropriate would automatically draw a fine, but it's clear that last week's vitriol spewed between the Jets and Patriots (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/new-england-patriots/67054) wasn't music to his ears.

"There's always a little bit of talk, particularly between rivals," Goodell said Tuesday at an NFL owners meeting in Atlanta. "I think there's got to be a respect amongst the people who play and coach and, most importantly, for the game of football. I want to make sure that's respected throughout the league."

All eight teams in last weekend's divisional playoffs received a warning memo from the league office about crossing the line with trash talk, particularly comments that threaten physical harm against another player. The league advised that such comments could be used in determining the perpetrator's punishment if any illegal on-field contact occured.................

Read more @ http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Roger-Goodell-New-York-Jets-NFL-playoffs-trash-talk-011811

Craic
01-18-2011, 07:25 PM
As the trash talking between New England and the New York Jets (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/new-york-jets/67057) comes to an end, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants to ensure there are no repeat incidents in 2011.

Goodell said the NFL will discuss further defining what language and messages are acceptable between competing teams and players. Goodell didn't say comments deemed inappropriate would automatically draw a fine, but it's clear that last week's vitriol spewed between the Jets and Patriots (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/new-england-patriots/67054) wasn't music to his ears.

"There's always a little bit of talk, particularly between rivals," Goodell said Tuesday at an NFL owners meeting in Atlanta. "I think there's got to be a respect amongst the people who play and coach and, most importantly, for the game of football. I want to make sure that's respected throughout the league."

All eight teams in last weekend's divisional playoffs received a warning memo from the league office about crossing the line with trash talk, particularly comments that threaten physical harm against another player. The league advised that such comments could be used in determining the perpetrator's punishment if any illegal on-field contact occured.................

Read more @ http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Roger-Goodell-New-York-Jets-NFL-playoffs-trash-talk-011811

At first I couldn't believe he would so something that stupid.

Then I read on... and I actually AGREE WITH GOOD-DEAL. Why? Cause what he is clamping down on, is

particularly comments that threaten physical harm against another player. The league advised that such comments could be used in determining the perpetrator's punishment if any illegal on-field contact occured.

You can't threaten to injure another player and end their career. That is just stupid. It is the same, IMO, as putting a bounty on someones head. On this, I think he is right. After all, if this was done in the press between two normal citizens, it could be considered threatening language and have legal implications.

This time, Gooddeal got one right.

GoSlash27
01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
I think it's wasted this week. The Steelers don't trash talk and the Jets don't want to go that route this week. Der Komissar is on the case, as usual.

Craic
01-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I think it's wasted this week. The Steelers don't trash talk and the Jets don't want to go that route this week. Der Komissar is on the case, as usual.
Yeah, I am however, getting tired of his Deputy Dog routine. A quite phonecall is enough. Keeps it out of the press as well.

Count Steeler
01-18-2011, 08:53 PM
How else can he get credit unless he makes a newsance of himself?

memphissteelergirl
01-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I am however, getting tired of his Deputy Dog routine. A quite phonecall is enough. Keeps it out of the press as well.

Hehe..."Deputy Dog"....that's a good one. I was thinking more along the lines of Barney Fife, myself. :chuckle:

But I do agree...while the trash talk can get a bit annoying (as in the case of the Jets last week) it's generally harmless. Now when you start threatening people and putting "bounties" out on them, that's crossing the line.

Devilsdancefloor
01-18-2011, 09:21 PM
im tired of his micro managing everything. though i dont agree with what cromartie said, but he didnt kill anyone on the field and said things that 100% of all the fans agree with that are not * fans.

tube517
01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking Roscoe P. Coltrane, a bumbling fool.

Hehe..."Deputy Dog"....that's a good one. I was more along the lines of Barney Fife, myself. :chuckle:

But I do agree...while the trash talk can get a bit annoying (as in the case of the Jets last week) it's generally harmless. Now when you start threatening people and putting "bounties" out on them, that's crossing the line.

fansince'76
01-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Anyone else remember a death threat against Hines Ward made by Bart Scott? Or the ON AIR boasting by Suggs of a bounty against Mendenhall after Mendenhall's shoulder was broken and his season ended? Seems there wasn't all that much of a big deal made of what was said then. All I remember was that Goodell's office was supposedly "looking into it" but that absolutely nothing was ultimately done about it. Of course, Ward and Mendenhall also don't play for Goodell's pet team. :coffee:

X-Terminator
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I remember all of that, and you're right. The only reason Der Kommissar is saying anything is because the Jets hurt Marsha's wittle feewings. He wouldn't give a shit if it was any other team.

I didn't agree with Bart Scott telling Wes Welker that "his days are numbered," though. That did cross the line.

Psycho Ward 86
01-18-2011, 11:29 PM
What the hell does Roger Goodell know about respect? He cares about about revenue more than the health and well being of the players and controversial in every aspect on his policy of "safety." Respect? Find a better way to show it.

Bitch...

NCSteeler
01-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Trash talk screwed up NE mojo, so he must stop it NOW!

Steeldude
01-19-2011, 02:18 AM
some people seem to forget that the football field is the work place. you can't sexually harass, use racial slurs, threaten others etc... in the work place.

Craic
01-19-2011, 02:54 AM
some people seem to forget that the football field is the work place. you can't sexually harass, use racial slurs, threaten others etc... in the work place.

Yep, also, when the judge overturned suspensions due to banned substances, the argument was that labor rules are to be set aside if it is against public policy. What you said, Steeldude, would be included in public policy IMO. That means that he is required to enforce it, even if the CBA specifically excludes any action by the NFL due to something said in interviews, let alone not mentioning it.

Galax Steeler
01-19-2011, 03:11 AM
Trash talk screwed up NE mojo, so he must stop it NOW!

Exactly anything to help New England out.