PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger evaluation? Details scarce

blackandgoldman
05-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Roethlisberger evaluation? Details scarce
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 30, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 83692.html

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is expected to practice Tuesday, his first official team contact since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him April 21 for boorish behavior.

His return may suggest Roethlisberger, 28, has not been ordered into any in-patient treatment program. Goodell declared the superstar violated the NFL's personal-conduct policy after a booze-filled night in Georgia that ended in a rape allegation.

But don't ask Roethlisberger, the Steelers or the NFL to detail what prompted Goodell to clear the quarterback for practice this week. No one would discuss the nature of the evaluation or the types of tests Roethlisberger underwent.

"It's an early intervention step to address a potential problem if an NFL employee demonstrates conduct that is troubling," said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, who declined to discuss specifics.

Agent Ryan Tollner, who represents Roethlisberger, also declined to comment. So did the National Football League Players Association.

"We're informed of his progress in the programs," said union spokesman Carl Francis, who declined to be more specific.

Roethlisberger is the first player to be suspended without being charged with a crime since Goodell implemented the personal-conduct policy in April 2007.

Two clinical psychologists contacted by The Tribune-Review were asked what might take place during the behavioral evaluation.

The psychologists agreed to speak in general terms since neither man has examined Roethlisberger.

Dr. Paul J. Friday, a Pittsburgh-based clinical psychologist, and Dr. Leonard Simms, an associate professor of psychology at the University of Buffalo, both said Roethlisberger would have undergone a battery of tests during his evaluation.

One test might be the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), Friday said.

It is a 567-question examination that reveals different aspects of a patient's personality -- and helps doctors determine whether some sort of disorder exists.

A key element of MMPI and other standardized tests used in behavioral evaluations, Friday said, is they are nearly impossible to manipulate.

"You can tell whether somebody is faking or not," Friday said. "They're very, very sophisticated mathematical, embedded questions that are evaluated that if you answer in a particular way, you will fall into a group of people who are faking good or faking bad."

Simms said standardized tests only account for a fraction of the information gathered during evaluations.

Simms, the primary investigator in Buffalo's personality, psychopathology and psychometrics lab, said he would also interview the patient extensively and people who know that person well.

He said he would also examine public documents - such as police reports, affidavits and statements -- prepared about the subject.

"You ask him about problems he gets into, you ask him about his history and his attitudes and his behavior and everything that seems relevant to the questions you are trying to answer," Simms said.

Friday said behavioral evaluation should help determine whether immaturity or a personality disorder -- substance or alcohol abuse falls under the umbrella of disorders -- led to the off-the-field trouble that has stained Roethlisberger's reputation.

If a personality-disorder diagnosis is made, Friday said, it is not easy determining how to proceed.

"They're very, very difficult to treat because people don't give them up," Friday said. "They're ingrained armor They are the things that have gotten them through life. A personality disorder is like a cable that runs through your life, and it affects everything that you do."

Given Roethlisberger's history of head injuries -- three concussions since 2004 and a near-fatal motorcycle crash in 2006 -- Simms said the quarterback likely underwent neurological exams as well as a CAT scan.

"If I had a client like that, who I knew had some likelihood for head injuries, I'd be interested in looking at decision-making problems and impulsivity," Simms said. "I'd want to assess for something called a frontal-lobe syndrome."

Frontal-lobe syndrome can affect social behavior and lead to dubious decision making, Simms said.

The only thing that can be said with certainty about Roethlisberger's evaluation is that it went well enough to convince Goodell to allow him to return to football.

"I'm sure we'll never know (what took place) exactly," Simms said, "because that stuff will be private and confidential and all covered by privacy laws."

Craic
05-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Simms said the quarterback likely underwent neurological exams as well as a CAT scan.

Sure hope he did go through those tests. If.... IF his reactions are a result of his concussions, then I would be all for Ben being forced to leave the game NOW. Not because of his actions, but because if neurological damage is found, he is headed down a dangerous path biologically, and he is still very very young.

Here's to hoping the tests were done, everything came out ok, and they found out that... He was just being and idiot. And he's learned!

Hindes204
05-30-2010, 01:41 AM
Sure hope he did go through those tests. If.... IF his reactions are a result of his concussions, then I would be all for Ben being forced to leave the game NOW. Not because of his actions, but because if neurological damage is found, he is headed down a dangerous path biologically, and he is still very very young.

Here's to hoping the tests were done, everything came out ok, and they found out that... He was just being and idiot. And he's learned!

Im gonna go with...he was just being an idiot

Galax Steeler
05-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Well at least we have our quarterback back to practicing hopefully it was a lesson learned.

stillers4me
05-30-2010, 06:44 AM
That's my diagnosis, too. Goodell keeps talking bout Ben's "progress". WTF does that mean?

ALLD
05-30-2010, 06:50 AM
If he quits drinking, all of the self-destructive traits should dissapate. Then maybe he can work on his game and take care of the ball better. He is going to be rusty and hopefully he doesn't get stuck disjointed.

steelpride12
05-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Goodell is pushing this far, putting Ben through all these ridiculous test when it was a case of him not using his head. Oh well Ben is one step closer to putting this all behind him and if he can keep his head straight, toward lowering that 6 games to a 4 game suspension!

vasteeler
05-30-2010, 08:08 AM
i still think it sux that he has to go through all this. hopefully he comes out a better man and not a bitter man

Killer
05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
"in out"

http://images.hollywood.com/cms/300x375/5405163.jpg

siss
05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
And it should stay that way. The only thing we need to know is that he was cleared to practice. The rest is non of our business.

zulater
05-30-2010, 12:03 PM
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-01/44772470.jpg

Here's the new remade Ben.
:heh:

salamander
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM
We can rebuild him... We have the technology! :heh:

Devilsdancefloor
05-30-2010, 08:48 PM
i didnt think he could do a ctscan due to the metal in his head?

Vincent
05-30-2010, 09:51 PM

I'll see yer idiot and raise yer Patron.

Godfather
05-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Goofdell sucks harder than the Patriots* and he's gayer than Tom Brady.

Vincent
05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Goofdell sucks harder than the Patriots* and he's gayer than Tom Brady.

Nobody in this forum is going to dispute that statement.

43Hitman
05-30-2010, 11:18 PM
i didnt think he could do a ctscan due to the metal in his head?

I think you may be right man. That would be messy..lol

Craic
05-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Dang.. didn't even think about that!!

However, I do hope they did something to rule out actual physical/neurological damage.

I also agree with the statement made in this thread... That we shouldn't have to hear anything else except that "He is cleared to practice."

vasteeler
05-31-2010, 01:29 AM
i know hes been practicing, any word on him? with out mesa im lost

solardave
05-31-2010, 03:36 PM
i know hes been practicing, any word on him? with out mesa im lost

Yeah, where is Mesa? MIA?

Godfather
05-31-2010, 04:13 PM

However, I do hope they did something to rule out actual physical/neurological damage.

I also agree with the statement made in this thread... That we shouldn't have to hear anything else except that "He is cleared to practice."

All new players take a test on the computer to determine a baseline for their cognitive abilities and response times. A player with a suspected concussion takes the test and the results are compared to his baseline. That way you don't have the Giants sitting Brandon Jacobs based on a low score that's really normal for him.

blackandgoldman
05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Roethlisberger will attend OTAs on Tuesday
Posted by Mike Florio on May 31, 2010 2:18 PM ET
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/31/roethlisberger-will-attend-otas-on-tuesday/

Last week, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger received clearance from Commissioner Roger Goodell to return to offseason workouts in Pittsburgh.

Our friends at 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh report that Roethlisberger will show up on Tuesday to rejoin the preparations for the 2010 season.

Roethlisberger had been banished by the league from offseason workouts in April as part of his suspension for violating the Personal Conduct Policy. His return hinged on satisfactory completion of a comprehensive psychological evaluation.

Moving forward, however, it will be Roethlisberger's behavior that influences his availability to play football. His suspension covers six games, but it could be reduced. It also could be extended.

43Hitman
05-31-2010, 07:09 PM

I agree as well. The rest is really none of our business.

Craic
05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
I agree as well. The rest is really none of our business.

Well, let me modify that just a little... selfishly, I also want to hear, "He has nothing wrong with him physically from his concussions."

That is just because I am starting to worry about that. Still, none of my business, but I AM going to be cringing more every time he gets hit now.

43Hitman
05-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, let me modify that just a little... selfishly, I also want to hear, "He has nothing wrong with him physically from his concussions."

That is just because I am starting to worry about that. Still, none of my business, but I AM going to be cringing more every time he gets hit now.

I cringe too. It seems, and maybe I'm biased, that he's allowed to be hit a quite a bit harder than the rest of the SB winning QB's in the league.

siss
05-31-2010, 07:37 PM
I cringe too. It seems, and maybe I'm biased, that he's allowed to be hit a quite a bit harder than the rest of the SB winning QB's in the league.

Im convinced its because the NFL thinks Ben can handle it!

stillers4me
05-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Im convinced its because the NFL thinks Ben can handle it!

Ah ha! So they are admittinmg that Tom Brady is a pussy!

vasteeler
06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
well look at it this way he has 4-6 weeks of not getting hit :biggrin1:

Killer
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
http://newsimages.emerald.synacor.com/ap_photos//f9e3b65d-1e6a-42e2-809f-2c71c13492bd.jpeg

Skinny Ben

Does this helmet make my head look swollen?

suitanim
06-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm reasonably sure that if Ben does NOT meet the minimum standards set by Good Deal to trim the suspension to 4 games, the FO will NOT be pleased. In fact, if this is a full 6 game suspension, I think they'll release him...

siss
06-01-2010, 04:11 PM
What if Ben does anything right and commish is feeling like an ass that day and keeps it a 6 game suspension.

vasteeler
06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
What if Ben does anything right and commish is feeling like an ass that day and keeps it a 6 game suspension.

I dont think that would happen, i think he will keep his nose clean and be back after 4 games

Killer
06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't care about his nose...just keep his dick clean

can I say that here?

Mach1
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
That's my diagnosis, too. Goodell keeps talking bout Ben's "progress". WTF does that mean?

Just means godell has more hoops to jump through.

The Duke
06-02-2010, 05:37 PM

if he changed vick's suspension he damned better change ben's