PDA

View Full Version : Gay thrives in increased role

43Hitman
01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
The winning cornerback stood in the Steelers locker room Saturday night and took a deep breath.
"It's getting out there and doing whatever you've got to do when your number's called,'' William Gay said.
A year ago Gay was experiencing the ups and downs of being a starting corner. His first season in that role threatened to be his last.
Gay reinvented himself as a nickel back who was minding his business when starting left cornerback Bryant McFadden departed the Steelers' divisional playoff game against Baltimore with a hip injury. With the game less than a quarter old, Gay switched roles, became an every-down player and tried to go unnoticed.

Read more here: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_718659.html#

steelerdude15
01-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Gay has certainly become one of our most improved players on the team. He has played well this year compared to last year. He's come up big for us a few times this year and nearly had the interception against the Ravens at the end of the game. I hope he can only get better.

43Hitman
01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Me too, I've been really hard on him in the past, I hope he's turned the corner.

Psycho Ward 86
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I loved how frequently he "fell" last season and gave up plays everywhere...

43Hitman
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I loved how frequently he "fell" last season and gave up plays everywhere...

This post is just dripping with sarcasm, I love it.

ALLD
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
He needs to pull it together for this game or he will not be here. Bmac is injured, so he will be picked on.

pepsyman1
01-18-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll be honest, I was impressed with his play this weekend. There were quite a few man coverage calls and he looked good. He was in position, aware of the ball and the receiver. If we had seen that last year, he might have been starting the whole time. We had all heard how athletic Gay was and all had high hopes for him being an upgrade from McFadden once he made it to the starting line up. We can all cross our fingers that his improvement is no fluke. If he continues to cover like I saw him do on Sunday, I will feel MUCH better about our secondary.

GoSlash27
01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I would invite everyone to review the opponents' passing stats for the last 8 games and compare those numbers to the rest of the league. With the readjustment to deny the quick routes that occurred at week 9, our secondary has become completely impenetrable. It's like a Bermuda triangle of football, where passes go in and simply disappear.
I'm not overly concerned about Willie Gay. He's shown that he plays much better without a cushion.

TXSteelerFan
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm still not sold on Gay. The guy is simply not a cover corner... We would be looking at this in a very different way if that last pass wasn't dropped for a first down by Houshmandzadeh. I say we keep him for next year (If we even have a season) pick up a 3rd or 4th round CB in the draft, coach that CB up for next year and then release Gay the following year.