PDA

View Full Version : Steelers surpass Cowboys again

polamalubeast
01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers (six) already have one more Super Bowl title than the Dallas Cowboys (five). But this week the Steelers surpassed the Cowboys in another important playoff category.

Pittsburgh's 31-24 divisional-round victory over the Baltimore Ravens placed the Steelers in the conference title game for an NFL-best 15th time since the 1970 merger. Pittsburgh broke the tie with the Cowboys (14) this season and continues to pull away from the San Francisco 49ers (12).

Sunday's home game against the New York Jets will mark the fourth time in the past seven years the Steelers will play in the AFC title game. Pittsburgh is 2-1 in the previous three games, with the only loss coming to the New England Patriots after the 2004 season.

The winner of the Steelers-Jets game will represent the AFC in Super Bowl XLV, which, ironically, will be held this year in Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/23471/steelers-surpass-cowboys-again?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

CPanther95
01-17-2011, 06:28 PM
This year we also passed the Cowboys (and Miami) in Winning Seasons (30 vs. 29) and tied the Cowboys at 32 for most Playoff Wins (so far) - and extended our lead in Division Titles to 3 (20 vs. 17 {DAL, SF} )

salamander
01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
America's Team my ass.

Polamalu Princess
01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
The Steelers are America's Team!!! 100%!!

BigNastyDefense
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Fuck the Cowboys. That is all.

SMR
01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
MOST EXCELLENT, AWESOME, FANTASTIC, GOOSE PIMPLING thread!

tube517
01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4swpTYFzo_8

Fuck the Cowboys. That is all.

Galax Steeler
01-18-2011, 03:26 AM
The Steelers are America's Team!!! 100%!!

Agree Dallas who

ALLD
01-18-2011, 05:41 AM
According to Dan Rooney, the NFL first approached the Steelers to see if they wanted the label of being "America's Team". He turned them down and it went to Dallas by default. I guess they get our crumbs.

Kittyfish
01-18-2011, 10:09 AM
I've heard that story too - Steve Sabol said when NFL films wanted to call the year-end retrospective on the Steelers "America's Team", Mr. Rooney said something along the lines of, "Being Pittsburgh's team is good enough for us," and passed. So it was used for Dallas's recap film instead and the nickname stuck.

I'm so glad Mr. Rooney declined that title. The Steelers may be the closest thing there is to "America's Team" but no matter who the label is applied to, it is disrespectful to 31 other teams and is bound to cause resentment. Even before I was a football/Steelers fan, I would hear "America's Team" applied to the Cowboys and think, "Who the hell do they think they are?" But Dallas and their fans seem to love the title, and as far as I'm concerned, they can have it.

tube517
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Sabol confirmed the story on another NFL Films documentary about the NFL in the 70's. It's true. It was offered to Pittsburgh first. My Dallas friends refuse to accept that. Bwhaahahahahahahaha.

I've heard that story too - Steve Sabol said when NFL films wanted to call the year-end retrospective on the Steelers "America's Team", Mr. Rooney said something along the lines of, "Being Pittsburgh's team is good enough for us," and passed. So it was used for Dallas's recap film instead and the nickname stuck.

I'm so glad Mr. Rooney declined that title. The Steelers may be the closest thing there is to "America's Team" but no matter who the label is applied to, it is disrespectful to 31 other teams and is bound to cause resentment. Even before I was a football/Steelers fan, I would hear "America's Team" applied to the Cowboys and think, "Who the hell do they think they are?" But Dallas and their fans seem to love the title, and as far as I'm concerned, they can have it.

SteelGhost
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Steelers are "Universe's Team" 'Nuff said, lol.

venom
01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Keep them coming !!

SMR
01-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Steelers are "Universe's Team" 'Nuff said, lol.

Hence the similarity to the name of our website! This family rocks!!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::t t02: