PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan: It's nothing personal with the Steelers

polamalubeast
01-17-2011, 04:45 PM
FLORHAM PARK - Unlike the last two weeks, Rex Ryan didn’t make it ‘personal’ in his news conference on Monday.

He called out Indianapolis QB Peyton Manning and New England coach Bill Belichick each of the last two weeks, and said how much he was motivated to beat them [while also crediting them for their greatness].

However, Ryan didn’t single out anyone from the Steelers, Sunday’s opponent in the AFC title game.

"If you can’t get motivated to win an AFC championship game, I don’t know what else you need,’ the Jets’ coach said. He explained that he has a lot of respect for Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin, saying, ‘he’s a man’s man and his team plays like that. ... He’s one of my favorite coaches."

Ryan was asked about how Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger presents different challenges than the last two QBs the Jets beat, Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning and New England’s Tom Brady. While those two are pocket passers, the 6-5, 241-pound Roethlisberger excels at making plays on the run.

Rex said of Big Ben, "I’ve never seen a guy take the hits he can take and make people miss the way he does and be accurate on the run. ... He’s a lot faster athlete than you think."

Ryan joked that had he drafted Roethlisberger, "I would’ve made him a defensive end when he came out. ... This guy is a giant."

read more

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/011711_Rex_Ryan_Its_nothing_personal_with_the_Stee lers.html

Dino 6 Rings
01-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Standing between US and the Super Bowl is pretty damned Personal...but nice try...

SteelerEmpire
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Like I said, don't let him "disarm" you with "niceness".... its a 'trick play'.

Merchant
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Sorry Rex, it's gonna be a 3rd straight AFC Championship loss :tt02:

GoSlash27
01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I'll take it at face value. Likewise (at least for me) it's nothing personal. Our game against Baltimore was "personal". This one is strictly business.

The Jets are standing between us and where we want to be and don't seem interested in standing aside.
So there's nothing left to do but completely demolish them. No hard feelings and nothing personal.

CPanther95
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
I say we coordinate an effort to try and get all 65,000 fans to leave their Terrible Towels at home and replace them with yellow socks - preferably those long socks with little toes built in.

Shawn
01-17-2011, 06:40 PM
I could be completely wrong, but I read that as "I don't consider the Steelers and Roethlisberger to be as elite as Brady and Manning so it's not a personal fight for me."

HometownGal
01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I'll take it at face value. Likewise (at least for me) it's nothing personal. Our game against Baltimore was "personal". This one is strictly business.

The Jets are standing between us and where we want to be and don't seem interested in standing aside.
So there's nothing left to do but completely demolish them. No hard feelings and nothing personal.

Great post Slash! :applaudit: Can't say it any better than this.

Texasteel
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Standing between a hungry bull and his feed may not be the safest place to be.

GoSlash27
01-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Great post Slash! :applaudit: Can't say it any better than this.

Aw, shucks!:humble:
/my cheeks are hot

86WARD
01-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I need some bulletin board material for out boys...

Texasteel
01-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Aw, shucks!:humble:
/my cheeks are hot

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Naaaa that's way to easy.

BigNastyDefense
01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Why would it be personal? He hasn't lost to Pittsburgh as head coach of the Jets (yet).

Come Sunday night, the Jets will be going home. Rex Ryan will be preparing to coach his next game, the 2011 Pro Bowl.

Chidi29
01-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Listening to his press conference today, Ryan was extremely respectful of us and gushed about our team and players. Gave tons of props to Tomlin at the end. And if you didn't know any better, you'd think Ryan would be looking for Ben's autograph before the game.

tube517
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Surprisingly, I don't hate Rex. I think he's funny and he doesn't back down from Goodhell's favorite teams. I'm glad he left the Ratbirds. But he's a damn good defensive coordinator and has already made it to 2 AFC Championship games as a head coach. He has his team believing it can finally bring home a Lombardi trophy.

Almost every game w/the Jets this decade has been as close as the Ravens games. I don't expect anything different.

With that said, I hope he and his Dr. Scholl's loving self lose this Sunday. As someone else posted, it's his team standing in the way of mine going for a 8th conference title and a 7th Super Bowl.

Listening to his press conference today, Ryan was extremely respectful of us and gushed about our team and players. Gave tons of props to Tomlin at the end. And if you didn't know any better, you'd think Ryan would be looking for Ben's autograph before the game.

CPanther95
01-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I hope the next time we play the Jets, Rex takes it very personally.

43Hitman
01-17-2011, 09:56 PM

Yeah that's why I'm not buying it. It's too over the top.

Galax Steeler
01-18-2011, 03:11 AM
I don't trust him he has something up his sleeve.