PDA

View Full Version : USC to get 2 Year Postseason Ban?

VT Tony
06-10-2010, 09:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5267933

The USC football program will receive a two-year postseason ban, a reduction in scholarships and a forfeiture of wins from at least the 2004 season when the NCAA releases its sanctions on Thursday, a source told ESPN's Shelley Smith.

The Los Angeles Times reported the NCAA sanctions include the loss of more than 20 scholarships.

ESPN The Magazine's Bruce Feldman confirmed the two-year postseason ban and a reduction in scholarships from a second USC source.

USC will respond Thursday to the NCAA's findings following its investigation into possible violations by the Trojans' football and men's basketball programs, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad.

There is no news conference scheduled for Thursday. According to an SID at USC, the school plans to issue a statement in response to any NCAA announcement addressing penalties. A different source had said earlier in the day that the school would have a news conference following the NCAA announcement.
The NCAA infractions committee held a hearing in February in which USC presented its responses to allegations of NCAA violations. Results of the report have been expected for several weeks.

The Trojans' football team won seven straight Pac-10 championships and two national titles during the past decade under Pete Carroll, who left to coach the NFL's Seattle Seahawks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sea) after last season.
No BCS conference football programs have been banned from postseason play over the past seven years, but the NCAA has been expected to make an example of USC, one of the highest-profile programs in the country.

USC football players will be informed about the sanctions at a mandatory meeting Thursday morning, a source told Feldman.

"For real it's out of our hands but I'm praying that the things they are saying aren't true," senior linebacker Malcolm Smith wrote on his Twitter account Wednesday night.
Once released, USC would have a chance to appeal.

USC already admitted wrongdoing with the basketball program and sanctioned itself, including a ban on postseason participation, a reduction of scholarships and vacating all of its wins from 2007-08.

The school's football team is under investigation for its dealing with Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9588), who played at the school from 2003 to '05. If Bush is found retroactively ineligible, the Heisman Trust could strip him of his 2005 award.
The NCAA and investigators from the Pac-10 Conference have tried to determine whether Bush and his parents took improper benefits, including an alleged rent-free residence provided by a sports marketer. Bush has not met with NCAA and Pac-10 investigators and has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

USC chose to contest the allegation against the football program, hoping to overcome the perception of a lack of institutional control, which could result in significant sanctions, including scholarship reductions, TV and postseason bans, recruiting restrictions and probation.

If USC is found guilty of major violations, the NCAA also could rule that the Trojans are "repeat violators." Per NCAA rules, "An institution shall be considered a 'repeat' violator if the Committee on Infractions finds that a major violation has occurred within five years of the starting date of a major penalty."

The athletic program was last sanctioned in August of 2001.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

SteelMember
06-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Sure. There should be a punishment, but I'm not a fan of having the current players and coaches paying the price for past ones. Same as Memphis b-ball.

USC fans might say "Losing more than 20 scholarships" will not affect their recruiting, but if the Texas conglomerate joins the PAC-10, I think it most definitely will.

SteelersinCA
06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
USC recruits on a national level, so it most certainly will affect them. There will, without a doubt, be some drop. The NCAA wanted to make an example of them, now the BCS will strip them on the title. Too bad the NCAA can't fine Reggie Bush.

atlsteelers
06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
they deserved more...and the NCAA should do something about the coaches. Pete Carrol should be banned or limited to coaching in the NCAA once he fails in seatle. And Floyd should be suspended from coaching B-Ball. I have no problems with that the current players having to suffer. The AD is the same guy, he turned a blind eye when everybody knew that bush's folks were living in a free house. Plus i almost fell out of my chair when i heard this...man o man lane kiffin gets what he deserves in the end after all. i bet you they are dancing in knoxville over this news!

Devilsdancefloor
06-10-2010, 10:44 AM
but will they make the players go to class? :sarcasm2:

SteelMember
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Too bad the NCAA can't fine Reggie Bush.

I guess that'd be the only other way to do it.

Fine him. Have him donate the amount of his ill gotten gifts. Then wipe him off the books.

atlsteelers
06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
USC may lose BCS title but Auburn is still feeling the burn

Tommy Tuberville banged the drum for his Auburn team after the Sugar Bowl, and rightfully so.

So we’ve already established that this is a major kegger day in Knoxville. The Lane Kiffin/Weenie Roast officially begins at 3 p.m., when the NCAA is scheduled to drop the probation hammer on USC.

But how do you feel today if you’re an Auburn fan? USC may get stripped of its 2004 BCS national championship, and the Tigers never were allowed to even play in that game, despite going through the season undefeated.

Is this a day for Auburn to feel vindicated or just angry?

Rewind to 2004: Auburn went 12-0 through the regular season but finished third in the BCS standings, behind USC and Oklahoma (which also went 12-0). To any SEC follower, the thought of going through the conference season undefeated and not winding up in the national title game is ludicrous. But the Tigers had to settle for the Sugar Bowl, and they defeated Virginia Tech, 16-14.

Auburn’s case for being in the BCS title game even was supported by Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer, who said, “We started out playing Southern Cal and I believe this Auburn team is better.”

So you can imagine what the opinion was of Oklahoma — especially after the Trojans destroyed the Sooners, 55-19, to claim the title.

“Neither team is better than us,” Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville proclaimed. “We’ll play them anytime, anywhere.”

Never got that chance.

Now what? The BCS added to its bylaws in 2007 — after the NCAA began looking into potential violations at USC — that gives it the power to strip a championship from the winner. Quoting:

“When the NCAA or a conference makes a finding of violations … and imposes a sanction of forfeiture or vacation of contests in which an ineligible student-athlete participated, we will presume that vacation of participation in a BCS bowl game is warranted.”

This doesn’t mean the BCS (which is independent of the NCAA) is suddenly going to declare Oklahoma the winner and give Auburn a runner-up trophy. If it opts to strip USC, there just won’t be a champion listed for 2004.

Conversely, the Associated Press will not change its final rankings from that season: USC will remain No. 1 and Auburn (which drew three first-place votes) will be No. 2.

The Tigers probably deserve a little more than that.

But then, they also deserved more in 2004.

suitanim
06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't feel sorry for Auburn...they schedule too many OOC creampuffs. LA Tech, Citadel and LA Monroe. Plus they share the "SEC disease", unwilling to travel out of their region.
Big shock about SC running a dirty program...:sarcasm2:

ALLD
06-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Pete Carrol got away clean except for his name. Kiffen discovered what karma is all about. Nick Saban is way overdue to get his.

atlsteelers
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Kiffen was the OC when it went down...so he definetly got what he deserved

atlsteelers
06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Don't feel sorry for Auburn...they schedule too many OOC creampuffs. LA Tech, Citadel and LA Monroe. Plus they share the "SEC disease", unwilling to travel out of their region.

Yeah, the SEC disease is really easy to diagnose the first indication of sickness is whiping OSU in the BCS title game. playing akron and kent must not of had OSU ready for title games. OSU = zero wins agianst a SEC team.....hehe

SteelersinCA
06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
That's a historical ownage of Ohio State by SEC teams, but be prepared for the tide is gonna turn nonsense that is coming.

Dino 6 Rings
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM

I agree, Rule 1, if you want to be taken seriously, for the National Title in College Football, do NOT PLAY CITADEL

Done.

BigNastyDefense
06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I feel bad for the current players on that team. Not for the coaching staff, not for the AD, not for the rep of the school. But the current players were not involved with this scandal, and in the end they receive the biggest punishment. Their time is limited in college. To transfer to another school in the Bowl Subdivision, they will have to sit out a season. So yeah, I have mixed feelings about this. I am happy USC got what was coming to them, but I feel for the current players.

MasterOfPuppets
06-10-2010, 10:28 PM
damn straight they should get hammered ... maryland was banned for 2 years from tournaments, 1 year TV ban, recruiting sanctions, and had to pay over 400k back to the ncaa...for less than what USC is being investigated for.

suitanim
06-11-2010, 08:44 AM
What the Hell does OSU have to do with this? Other than as diversionary tactic?

Auburn played an entire season never leaving their region...and they played too many creampuffs. That was why they were #3 BCS. I'm sorry, that's just a fact...there isn't even any room here for conspiracy theories, as the SEC is a media darling, and if there is ANY media bias at play, it would have worked against the West Coast Trojans.

As far as the quality of MAC teams, asked and answered. OSU keeps the revenue in state, and MAC teams are all division 1 foes. Outside of the once (and ONLY) sop to Tress' old team the Penguins, OSU NEVER plays subdisvion teams, the kind of teams that litter SEC OOC schedules year in and year out, like Coastal Carolina or Charleston Southern. Disrespecting MAC teams can be very dangerous, as well...just ask Wisconsin, Michigan and Penn State.

Concerning Carroll, there was never any doubt in many minds that he took the NFL gig JUST in time to get away from the impending and imminent scandal breaking in re the Trojans corrupt recruiting tactics. Tactics that will certainly continue, if not worsen, under Kiffin.

SteelMember
06-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I was told that under the current rules, underclassmen (freshman and sophomores), would be able to transfer with no penalty of having to sit out a year. At least they have an out. Still sucks if your a jr./sr., and definitely doesn't help the depth for the future if any were to go elsewhere. Last I heard it was 30 scholarships over 3 years.

atlsteelers
06-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Another BCS Championship for the SEC in the works? Should be 7 Championships not 6!

Tuberville touts Auburn as 2004 national champions
Posted Thursday, Jun. 10, 2010 Comments (0) Recommend (1) Print Share Buzz up!Reprints Article

It might be wishful thinking, but Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville believes the NCAA should crown the Auburn Tigers as national champions for their body of work during the 2004 football season.

After the NCAA forced USC to vacate wins, including the 2004 BCS championship game, when they announced Thursday that Trojans' running back Reggie Bush received improper benefits that season, Tuberville figured the next course of action is to name Auburn as the national champion.

USC blew out Oklahoma 55-19 for the national title, but Tuberville, then the coach at Auburn, guided the Tigers to a perfect 13-0 record that season in the Southeastern Conference, including a 16-13 victory over Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

Auburn finished the season ranked No. 2 in the nation, ahead of the Sooners, in both The Associated Press and USA Today coach's polls.

"I think we'll have as good an argument [to be national champions] as anybody with the team we had, the players we had and the schedule we played," Tuberville said. "We were the only undefeated team that played in the BCS, we beat five Top 10 teams, and three-fourths of that team is still playing in the NFL.

"I was on three national championship teams at Miami [as an assistant coach], and that [Auburn] team was as good a team as we ever had in Miami. We were loaded.''

BCS officials have already said that there likely will not be a BCS national champion to fill the spot vacated by USC. If that's the case, Tuberville believes that's an injustice to his Auburn players.

"They can't just vacate it," Tuberville said. "You've got other teams other than USC.

"If somebody's proven to be ineligible, you've got to name somebody as the national champions. If they just leave it vacated and don't go by the process, then that would really upset me that they wouldn't look at Oklahoma or us or somebody, because the kids are deserving."

Tuberville is hoping for a revote of the 2004 national championship.

--Dwain Price

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/06/10/2256283/tuberville-touts-auburn-as-2004.html#ixzz0qYVJYpVC

If Troy Falls, Auburn Should Be Champs43
Comments
Say Something »

atlsteelers
06-11-2010, 09:44 AM
RSS + - Text Size Print Share This Home > Sports> College AU FOOTBALL: USC sanctions reopen 2004 BCS debate

File photo Cliff Williams | Opelika-Auburn News

In this Jan. 3, 2005 file photo, Auburn defensive lineman T.J. Jackson holds a banner during postgame celebrations of the Tigers’ 16-13 Sugar Bowl victory over Virginia Tech to finish the season undefeated at 13-0. .
By Andrew Gribble | Auburn University Beat Reporter
Published: June 10, 2010

Shortly after Auburn wrapped up its undefeated 2004 season with a Sugar Bowl victory over Virginia Tech, players and coaches received rings that had “National Champions” carved on the sides.

The meaning behind the inscription was only figurative, though many believed — and still do — that Auburn, not BCS champion Southern Cal, was the real national champion after its 13-0 run through the magical season.

In the wake of a litany of NCAA sanctions handed down on the Trojans’ football program Thursday, which included the revocation of victories not only throughout the 2004 season, but also its 55-19 national championship victory over Oklahoma, there were some former members of the
Auburn program who said that the Tigers should be retroactively considered as the real national champions.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock, though, did not agree. Neither did any of the powers-at-be behind the Associated Press college football poll.

With USC having to vacate its victories from the 2004 football season, should the undefeated 2004 Auburn team be named the BCS National Champs?
Yes
No

View Results
Share ThisPolldaddy.com

Alas, Auburn, which finished second behind the Trojans in the final 2004 BCS standings, will not become the new national champions for the 2004 season. If USC’s appeal against the NCAA’s rulings is rejected, the 2004 season will go in the books without a champion — an
unprecedented decision in the 12-year history of the BCS.

“As a procedural matter, the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee (POC) must meet to formally consider vacating USC’s championship title and the game records,” Hancock said in a statement. “If the POC takes such action, there would be no BCS champion for the 2004-05 season.
The POC will meet shortly to discuss this matter.”

The AP, meanwhile, will not hold a re-vote for its final 2004 college football poll. Auburn received one first-place vote and finished second behind the Trojans in the final poll.

On top of losing victories from the 2004 and 2005 seasons, USC was banned from the postseason for two years, will lose 30 scholarships over the next three years and faces four years of probation.

The punishments centered on the retroactive ineligibility of superstar tailback Reggie Bush, who received numerous improper benefits, and basketball player O.J. Mayo. The Trojan basketball team, which already self-imposed a number of punishments, did not receive additional penalties from the NCAA.

Auburn was one of five teams to finish the 2004 regular season undefeated, triggering a second consecutive year of controversy for the then-new BCS.

The Tigers were the first of three odd teams out, joining Utah and Boise State on the outside looking in at the Jan. 4, 2005 Orange Bowl National Championship game between No. 1 USC and No. 2 Oklahoma.

USC’s rout over the Sooners only further fueled a perception that Auburn, which defeated Virginia Tech, 16-13, in the Sugar Bowl one day earlier, should have played for the national championship.

Auburn, which slugged its way through a tough Southeastern Conference, had to settle for consolation prizes, which included national championship honors from Golf Digest. The AP disassociated itself from the BCS soon thereafter.

Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said Thursday that Auburn should be at the top of the list to replace USC as the 2004 title winner.

“I don’t think there’s any doubt. I think how they played all year long, beat five Top 10 teams and unfortunately we started (17th) in the polls and worked our way all the way up,” Tuberville told the Associated Press during a football camp at Texas Tech, his new team. “That’s the first time
in history No. 1 and 2 never lost during the year. It’s just one of those unfortunate years.

“I think (the Tigers) deserve it.”

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs and coach Gene Chizik, the Tigers’ defensive coordinator in 2004, could not be reached for comment.

Former athletic director David Housel said the sanctions at USC do not validate the belief that Auburn should have been national champions. It only reopens the debate, he said.

“It doesn’t answer the question as to who would have won the game if Auburn and Southern Cal would have been in the game,” Housel said. “Naturally, we think Auburn would have won. I think certainly if the Auburn people want to claim a championship, this gives them the opportunity to do so.”

Former Auburn defensive tackle Tez Doolittle, a redshirt freshman on the 2004 team, had no problem claiming it then, and certainly doesn’t now.

“I think we’re champs now,” said Doolittle, now with the Arena Football League’s Arizona Rattlers. “We considered ourselves the champs anyway without the poll.”

agribble@oanow.com| 737-2561

SteelMember
06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
What about Reggie's Heisman? If the BCS re-votes on the championship, I think the NCAA should re-vote for that trophy too. And Leinart's???

suitanim
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I was told that under the current rules, underclassmen (freshman and sophomores), would be able to transfer with no penalty of having to sit out a year. At least they have an out. Still sucks if your a jr./sr., and definitely doesn't help the depth for the future if any were to go elsewhere. Last I heard it was 30 scholarships over 3 years.

That makes a lot of sense...obviously being under the scrutiny they are now, all the money and cars SC promised this years recruits simply aren't going to materialize. I'd look for several defections once the appeals are all worn out...

xX-TSK-Xx
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
NCAA is allowing USC Juniors and Seniors to transfer and play immediatley. How many are going to jump ship I wonder?

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5275644

Juniors and seniors to-be on the USC Trojans' football team, hit with a two-year postseason ban among other punishments, will be allowed to transfer to other FBS programs without having to sit out a season, the NCAA clarified to ESPN on Friday.

"The second school would have to submit a waiver asking to waive the year in residence, but NCAA rules allow for this waiver to be granted if a student-athlete's first school has a postseason ban in their sport," NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said in an e-mail to ESPN's Joe Schad.

The rule does not apply to freshman who have signed national letters of intent, however. But schools with an interest in a USC junior or senior are allowed to initiate contact with the player, Osburn said.

(Follow Link for entire story)