PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu: Steelers must stick to old formula

Galax Steeler
06-10-2010, 03:56 AM
The Steelers long have followed a winning formula that is unique and proven, but they veered off course last season and must embrace it again in 2010, according to Troy Polamalu.

"We have a pretty good formula here how to win," said Polamalu, finishing up the week of spring practices and meetings with his teammates after returning from more than a month of training in California. "That doesn't change from year to year or from decade to decade. We've had our formula here and it's been good to us."

The formula is neither secret nor difficult to understand, Polamalu said. If not followed, however, you get 9-7 and look at the playoffs from the outside. It involves an electric, smothering defense that needs its offense to turn the clock so it can rest, and for special teams to do their job and not give up large chunks of yardage or touchdowns.

It is not something usually seen in the NFL, Polamalu said.

"I think it's unique no question. Especially in today's game. People don't think that you can, for the most part, have a really smothering defense. But, with the smothering defense, you can't have a pass-happy offense. For example, you would think you could take a great defense and mesh them together, but our defense would not work well with a New England Patriots offense or Indianapolis Colts offense. They may put up a lot of points, but it takes a lot more energy to play our defense than a Tampa 2-type defense."

The Steelers' passing offense ranked seventh in the NFL in yards last season while their ground game, often in the top 10, ranked 19th. New England's passing offense ranked third and the Colts trailed the Steelers at No. 9.

Also, the Steelers' time of possession on offense last season was 4 1/2 minutes more than its opponent on average, at 32:13, fourth best in the NFL. There seems a dichotomy somewhere in the formula for those trying to interpret it because the Steelers' pass-happy offense allowed the defense to rest.

Polamalu, though, noted that the special teams did not hold up their end; they allowed four kick returns for touchdowns, and the offense also had two interceptions returned for touchdowns. And also part of that formula is for the defense to mitigate the number of big plays. That did not hold true last season when the Steelers allowed nine pass completions longer than 40 yards compared to two in their 2008 Super Bowl season.

"Whether it's offense, defense, there's a third phase there, too, and they all have to mix together," Polamalu said. "You can't give up big plays on defense, you can make people drive, you have to control the clock on offense and you just can't give up big plays. If one part of that breaks down, our whole team breaks down."

Polamalu broke down twice last season, in the opener when his MCL was sprained and later when the PCL in the same knee was sprained. He missed 11 games as did defensive end Aaron Smith.

The key, then, for the Steelers to become the type of dominant defense they were in 2008?

"Health, for one," Polamalu said.

He does not blame his two knee injuries on anything other than being in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

"Anytime I've sustained any injury, the only thing that could have stopped it is wearing a straight-leg brace."

He plans to wear no such brace in 2010 and wore none in practice Wednesday because it is too confining and does not allow him the freedom to move the way he must. He also does not agree with most everyone else that the Steelers' defense suffered without him.

"We did pretty well last year," said Polamalu, overlooking the many admitted communications mistakes and the fact that he tied for the team lead with three interceptions in just five games.

The cornerbacks combined for none until the finale.

"We were a top-five defense. We were a play here and a play there from making the playoffs and maybe getting a higher seed in the playoffs. We didn't get blownout at any time that I remember."

And they finished 9-7.
Quick hits

Rain prompted coach Mike Tomlin to move practice from Heinz Field to the team's indoor facility. He hopes to hold his final spring practice today at Heinz Field. ... Ben Roethlisberger continued to run the first-team offense at quarterback while Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon shared the other snaps.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10161/1064514-66.stm#ixzz0qRGKUGDR

polamalubeast
06-10-2010, 06:00 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_685291.html

Troy Polamalu's goal is staying healthy
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 10, 2010

Coach Mike Tomlin generally shrugs off questions about Troy Polamalu missing most of the Steelers' voluntary offseason practices, and there is a good reason why.

Tomlin gave Polamalu his blessing for the strong safety to train on his own in California.

"There's no question that if I didn't have his permission to leave that I would definitely be here," Polamalu said Wednesday.

The five-time Pro Bowler made a rare appearance at practice yesterday when he returned for the final week of offseason drills.

Practicing without a brace on the left knee that he injured twice last season, Polamalu got in almost two hours of work with his teammates after rain chased the Steelers indoors.

Afterwards, he talked about a number of subjects, including the injuries that sabotaged his 2009 season, the leadership role he has assumed and how one of the premier safeties in the NFL is still improving.

"I don't think you stop getting better. There's so much to improve year to year, especially since I hardly played last year," said Polamalu, who will take part in the Steelers' final offseason practice today. "I'm learning so much more about technique and all of these little things that I wish I would have known my first few years of the NFL."

The key for Polamalu putting that knowledge to good use: staying healthy in 2010.

He played in parts of only five games last season, and a sprained medial collateral ligament that Polamalu sustained in the first game set the tone for his season -- and for a secondary that sorely missed the dynamic playmaker.

Polamalu strained the posterior collateral ligament in his left knee in mid-November and didn't play the rest of the season.

He still tied for the team lead in interceptions (three) and said both injuries — the first one happened after a teammate fell on his knee following a blocked field goal — were simply a result of bad luck.

"What's been kind of tough about my knee injuries is it's all been kind of wrong place, wrong time," Polamalu said. "Any time I've sustained a knee injury the only thing that probably could have stopped it was wearing a straight-leg brace."

Polamalu said he won't wear a knee brace this season simply because it would limit him too much on the field.

A big reason why he has worked out in southern California the past three offseasons, he said, was because he knows his body better than anyone — and what it takes to get ready himself for an upcoming season.

"You learn as your body ages how to deal with the injuries, when your body needs to peak, leaving (training) camp, not before camp," said Polamalu, who trains at Sports Lab in southern California with Marv Marinovich. "I think there's a fine line of how much football stuff you can get done at this time and also getting healthy. I didn't play that much last year, and (getting healthy) is my No. 1 focus."

Like Tomlin, Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau doesn't have a problem with Polamalu missing the majority of the voluntary offseason practices.

"Any of us would be better to get every possible snap we can get, but in the case of Troy he's a very veteran player who's extremely intelligent," LeBeau said. "I don't think that (his absences) are going to be a huge factor. It's just always good to have him here when he is here."

When Polamalu is in California, the 5-foot-10, 207-pounder said he is doing more than just working out.

Polamalu regularly studies film, something that will not only help him on the field but also when he is in meetings with his fellow defensive backs.

The soft-spoken Polamalu said he stepped out of his "comfort zone" and become more vocal in meetings.

"I'm taking more of a leadership role now," Polamalu said, "and I feel more responsible for wins and losses."

polamalubeast
06-10-2010, 06:01 AM

SteelerEmpire
06-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Already one of the best players and defensive minds in the history of the game... a legend in his own time... take his advice.

Michael
06-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Why is it that so many people including Art Rooney and Troy are going public and stating that the Steelers need to make some changes in the offense? Doesn't every one know that is the responsibility of Bruce Arians and Mike Tomlin.

steelpride12
06-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Yupp. Good read thanks. The Steelers just need to stick to the course as they did in 05 and 08. No need to change your entire offense or defense because we had an off season last year just continue to dominate on the defensive side of the ball and do enough on the offensive side to get the W.

Troy is one solid player who is extremely smart and has one of the best decision making in the NFL.

atlsteelers
06-10-2010, 12:10 PM
see even troy hates bruce arian...

tony hipchest
06-10-2010, 12:58 PM
:sofunny:

troy = hater

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Why is it that so many people including Art Rooney and Troy are going public and stating that the Steelers need to make some changes in the offense? Doesn't every one know that is the responsibility of Bruce Arians and Mike Tomlin.

Exactly. Troy and ARII are just haters that need to mind their own business. :sarcasm2:

Mach1
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
"We have a pretty good formula here how to win,"

Thats code for run the damn ball.

ALLD
06-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Did Troy ever get surgery to repair his knee or did it heal on its own?