PDA

View Full Version : SI : Steelers-Ravens report card

stillers4me
01-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers

Quarterback: In typical Roethlisberger fashion, Big Ben came up clutch when it mattered most: 3rd and 19 at his own 38, two minutes to play in the fourth quarter of a 24-24 battle -- and Roethlisberger fired a perfect strike to rookie Antonio Brown for 58 yards. It was the longest play of the game, and the biggest play in a game full of them. It came near the end of day in which Roethlisberger was under pressure from the opening whistle and had that key first-quarter fumble. We also saw the indecisive worst out of the unorthodox but hugely successful quarterback: his repeated pump fakes as he searched for his best options down field only served to heighten the effectiveness of Baltimore's intense pass rush. At the end of the day, though, he produced winning numbers: 19-of-32 for 226 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 101.8 passer rating, a perfect strike on the most important throw of the year -- and a fourth AFC title-game appearance in seven NFL seasons. Grade: B+

Read more @ http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/01/15/steelers.ravens.grades/index.html#ixzz1BAMbO0WH

Galax Steeler
01-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Looks like the Ratbirds sucked all the way around.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Ben was tough and fought thru the adversity. The defense stayed strong and got the key turnovers. The O line was still taking a beating, but I thought at one point..........Kugler is doing magic with a line that consisted of Essex, Kemo, Pouncey, Legursky, Foster at one point. They werent dominant, but were battling hard despite being under talented.

I give coach Kug's a B+

Craic
01-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Ben was tough and fought thru the adversity. The defense stayed strong and got the key turnovers. The O line was still taking a beating, but I thought at one point..........Kugler is doing magic with a line that consisted of Essex, Kemo, Pouncey, Legursky, Foster at one point. They werent dominant, but were battling hard despite being under talented.

I give coach Kug's a B+

I wasn't sure about the "Let's get O lineman that can play 2 or 3 positions" philosophy of Tomlin. Now, it seems brilliant.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
I wasn't sure about the "Let's get O lineman that can play 2 or 3 positions" philosophy of Tomlin. Now, it seems brilliant.

The versatility is always a plus. Remember that Alan Faneca was a highschool OT and that helped out Grimm and the team back a few years.

Its why a guy like Max Unger went so far up in the draft. He is a center that played some OT and guard. Most versatile guys can play a couple spots in a pinch (Essex, Pouncey, Legursky, Scott) but the true great talents are best in one position primarily. (Jon Ogden could not play OG or C)