PDA

View Full Version : Our Rookies

Craic
01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Ok. Let's take a look at this again.

Pouncey, first round. Absolute A+ Pick.

Worilds, 2nd round. Was injured, had a some good plays. Incomplete.

Sanders, 3rd round. Come into his own quickly. A-

Sylvester, 5th round. becoming a special teams stud. B

Dwyer, 6th round. INC. Just not enough info right now.

Brown, 6th round. B+. He seems to be coming on a little slower than Sanders. But of course, that is a VERY unfair way to assess him, because he is quite ahead of the game for any other WR.

Ok. First. It is WAY TO EARLY for any kind of HOF conversation. About 5-7 years to early.

So instead, who has shown flashes of being to have a career that would have a HOF arc?

Honestly, I gotta say Pouncey, Sanders, and Brown.

30 years from now, we may look back at this draft and say it was the second best draft ever of the Steelers, and maybe even the NFL.

ALLD
01-15-2011, 09:19 PM
1974 it isn't at this time. Let's see someone from D pick it up. Sweed is going to have a hard time making the team next season.

SteelerFanInStl
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't know about HOF but I definitely like all of the guys that you mentioned from this year's draft.

Randy06
01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Way early but I will say I love what I see so far, and especially from Pouncey. Thats not an easy position and it takes alot of responsibility....very impressed with him so far.

Craic
01-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Ok. First. It is WAY TO EARLY for any kind of HOF conversation. About 5-7 years to early.

So instead, who has shown flashes that show us they may have a career that would have a HOF arc?

For some reason, I feel the need to repost this part of my post.

NCSteeler
01-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Rooney said he wanted to see some rookie participation and there you have it. So many times with Steeler rookies it's about the reps, game time, being active on gameday to see action. Over the years most of our rookies saw very little time in a uniform on gameday. This year they found ways to fit them on the team, dress them on sundays and get them the reps needed to progress. I like it and I'm sure the Rooney's do to.

tube517
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
I like this draft class. Worilds will have his day. Sylvester too. Dwyer has an uphill battle with RedZone in front of him.

steel9guy
01-15-2011, 11:28 PM
We had a great draft this year. I am very impressed by Sanders, Brown and Sylvester. Pouncey is a seasoned veteran after this year and I think Dwyer has potential.

Craic
01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
I like this draft class. Worilds will have his day. Sylvester too. Dwyer has an uphill battle with RedZone in front of him.
Worilds will probably take Harrison's spot in a couple 3 years. Question is, will he be able to produce like Harrison.

Sylvester I can see taking over for Farrior in probably the same time frame- with the same questions.

I think Dwyer, if he makes it, will take over MeMo's spot.

tube517
01-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I hope Dwyer can do that but between Tomlin/Arians/RB Coach (or whoever decides who goes in at RB), they wore Mendy out this year. They need to divide the carries more.

Worilds will probably take Harrison's spot in a couple 3 years. Question is, will he be able to produce like Harrison.

Sylvester I can see taking over for Farrior in probably the same time frame- with the same questions.

I think Dwyer, if he makes it, will take over MeMo's spot.

Merchant
01-16-2011, 03:05 AM
What I love about Brown and Sanders is their speed. We got 3 guys who can stretch the field vertically. That's HUGE. A lot of teams don't even have ONE wr who can do that (just ask the Ravens).

Craic
01-16-2011, 03:21 AM
I hope Dwyer can do that but between Tomlin/Arians/RB Coach (or whoever decides who goes in at RB), they wore Mendy out this year. They need to divide the carries more.

That is exactly what I am thinking however. Mendy can be a three down back, so there is no reason to keep MeMo. Dwyer can take away carries, split the load a bit.

steelreserve
01-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Let's not forget Summers. I know there's not a ton of excitement about him, but I still hope he can be made into a REAL fullback, or else we draft one. Having one of those would be a really neat thing for the offense.

Count Steeler
01-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Kudos to Tomlin and the staff. Great finds through the draft and great development. Keep it going now. Oline and DB could use some attention.

Galax Steeler
01-16-2011, 07:46 AM
I say Pouncey has a good shot of getting to the HOF and maybe Sanders.

SteelerFanInStl
01-16-2011, 08:09 AM
That is exactly what I am thinking however. Mendy can be a three down back, so there is no reason to keep MeMo. Dwyer can take away carries, split the load a bit.

Yep. I keep saying that I want to see Mendy in the game more on 3rd down. He's already proven that he's good at catching the ball out of the backfield and at picking up blitzes.

venom
01-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Love Pouncey and Sanders -solid players

The Duke
01-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Let's not forget Summers. I know there's not a ton of excitement about him, but I still hope he can be made into a REAL fullback, or else we draft one. Having one of those would be a really neat thing for the offense.

DJ has been doing a great job when he's in at fullback

but yeah, it would be nice to have another player capable of playing fullback. And if they do increase to 18 game season rosters HAVE to be bigger, maybe finding a spot for him

GBMelBlount
01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
I have a side bar question here....

Anyone know how Brown & Sanders compare to Wallace as far as flat out speed?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I have a side bar question here....

Anyone know how Brown & Sanders compare to Wallace as far as flat out speed?

Wallace ran something like a 4.28 at the combine, Sanders a 4.41, Brown I dont know. But, football speed is what matters most to me and I think in that case Wallace is a gear above them both, but Brown is probably flat out faster than Sanders. Sanders is a good route runner inside though.

I like this draft class and just wish we were a bit smarter in previous years. We could have had Myron Pryor as a backup NT instead of RaShonn Harris. and dont even get me started on what we could have had instead of Bruce Davis or Tony Hills.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 11:16 AM

If we wanted a real fullback, they would have kept John Kuhn. I dont see it happening.

GBMelBlount
01-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Wallace ran something like a 4.28 at the combine, Sanders a 4.41, Brown I dont know. But, football speed is what matters most.....

I certainly agree for the most part...Of course Roethlisberger's 3rd and 19 bomb just had me thinking...It is nice that we have a few really fast receivers that can stretch the field.

tube517
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
If we wanted a real fullback, they would have kept John Kuhn. I dont see it happening with Bruce Arians as OC.

Fixed it for you

Texasteel
01-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Wallace ran something like a 4.28 at the combine, Sanders a 4.41, Brown I dont know. But, football speed is what matters most to me and I think in that case Wallace is a gear above them both, but Brown is probably flat out faster than Sanders. Sanders is a good route runner inside though.

I like this draft class and just wish we were a bit smarter in previous years. We could have had Myron Pryor as a backup NT instead of RaShonn Harris. and dont even get me started on what we could have had instead of Bruce Davis or Tony Hills.

An offensive line maybe?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Fixed it for you

Please dont change my posts and make me look like a hater. :wink:

Just find it amusing how the Fox commentators were glowing about Kuhn's blocking, receiving and even running ability.......yet we decided to keep Carey Davis over him. :doh:

tube517
01-16-2011, 12:54 PM
As long as you tell Ron Burgundy to stop giving Ben fashion advice for post game press conferences :rofl2:

Please dont change my posts and make me look like a hater. :wink:

Just find it amusing how the Fox commentators were glowing about Kuhn's blocking, receiving and even running ability.......yet we decided to keep Carey Davis over him. :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
An offensive line maybe?

Yeah, take your pick. They could have had Mike McGlynn, Kory Lichtenstiger, Carl Nicks, Jermichael Finley over either of those guys.

The killer is that they took a chance on Bruce Davis when Cliff Avril was still on the board. Avril was being drooled at by many at the combine that year. Imagine instead of Bruce Davis and Tony Hills, that they took Cliff Avril and Carl Nicks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 12:59 PM
As long as you tell Ron Burgundy to stop giving Ben fashion advice for post game press conferences :rofl2:

Yeah, I told him to go with a burgandy jacket, but instead he took Rip Tamblin's blue suit while he was "laying low for a while for killing that guy with a trident". Stay classy Tube517.

tube517
01-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means.......

Yeah, I told him to go with a burgandy jacket, but instead he took Rip Tamblin's blue suit while he was "laying low for a while for killing that guy with a trident". Stay classy Tube517.

steelerdude15
01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
This was certainly a great draft. Pouncey, Brown, and Sanders have come up huge for us and I hope they can continue to play at a high level for years to come. With Wallace, Sanders, and Brown, we're set at WR for a long time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means.......

:rofl: Great line.

Now to get back on topic, if we drafted right a while back, maybe our O line could open rushing lanes the size of a "san diego" :wink: