PDA

View Full Version : ESPN blows Steelers Trick Play

43Hitman
01-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Bob Holtzman of ESPN reports that the Steelers will employ against the Ravens a trick play.
“Two Steelers have told me, if they catch the Ravens in the right defense, they have a trick play ready to go today that they’ve never run before.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/15/holtzmann-likely-will-catch-heat-for-steelers-trick-play-report/

43Hitman
01-15-2011, 01:47 PM
I saw this go down on ESPN, and was immediately irritated. I hope that guy NEVER steps foot in Pittsburgh again.

SteelerSal
01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I say it's all bullsh*t....

43Hitman
01-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I say it's all bullsh*t....

What part is bullshit, because I watched him talk about this play live. He had some details man. That reporter was so freaking happy he was giving it away too, you could see it all over his face.

BPS3akaWirels3
01-15-2011, 01:53 PM
http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Holtzman_Bob_cropped.jpg

Chidi29
01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
What part is bullshit, because I watched him talk about this play live. He had some details man. That reporter was so freaking happy he was giving it away too, you could see it all over his face.

Uh, yeah, why wouldn't he be? He got exclusive information. That's his job.

Maybe the players shouldn't say anything....

Of course, who knows if they were telling the truth. Could be a ploy.

Steeltreal
01-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I heard Legursky will be throwing it...

steelerdude15
01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
It could be a trick our friends are playing on the Ravens...

steeldevil
01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I would hope this is bs because I would hope none of our players would be that stupid...

43Hitman
01-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Uh, yeah, why wouldn't he be? He got exclusive information. That's his job.

Of course, who knows if they were telling the truth. Could be a ploy.

This kind of stuff happens all the time in PRODUCTION MEETINGS, meaning that the broadcast team may know about a certain play, but its common courtesy to hold onto that info until after the play has been run. How many times have you heard the announcers say, "Yeah, they told us if they got that look they were going to run that play." ? Lots, this was totally uncalled for.

stillers4me
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Ummm..you mean that one where Ben thows it to El and El throws it to Hines?

Surprise. :coffee:

tube517
01-15-2011, 02:03 PM
They will run left.

venom
01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Loser of the Day

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2010/0504/dm_100505_lax_uva_holtzmanlatest.jpg

Chidi29
01-15-2011, 02:05 PM
This kind of stuff happens all the time in PRODUCTION MEETINGS, meaning that the broadcast team may know about a certain play, but its common courtesy to hold onto that info until after the play has been run. How many times have you heard the announcers say, "Yeah, they told us if they got that look they were going to run that play." ? Lots, this was totally uncalled for.

If you're going to give something away that juicy, you run the risk of it being reported.

Don't want to chance it? Don't say a word. You have no obligation to do so and no one to blame but yourself.

ALLD
01-15-2011, 02:06 PM
The trick play is they run up the middle on first down.

CPanther95
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Two things:

1) If true, blame the Steelers that are yapping, not ESPN for reporting it.
2) If not true, could keep them on their heels all game waiting for something they've never seen before.

Maybe the only way to surprise a team that knows you so well is to get them to think that there's something they don't know.

GoSlash27
01-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Ri-iight. "Oh, *PLEASE* Mr. Holtzman, whatever you do don't throw us into the briar patch!"
He's the biggest moron in the history of ever. If we really had some secret play we wanted to keep... you know... *SECRET*, we sure as Hell wouldn't line up to tell him about it.

43Hitman
01-15-2011, 02:11 PM
If you're going to give something away that juicy, you run the risk of it being reported.

Don't want to chance it? Don't say a word. You have no obligation to do so and no one to blame but yourself.

I agree with you man, but when a team divulges info with the premise that its not going to be reported...Doesn't anyone have any integrity anymore?..Kind of like what John Madden did to Micheal Irving back in the day when Micheal told him about his trick to get open.

If this is true, and I think it is, then those players should have kept their mouths shut. We agree on that. I'm more concerned with the motives on reporting on this. Completely unethical in my opinon.

Chidi29
01-15-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree with you man, but when a team divulges info with the premise that its not going to be reported...Doesn't anyone have any integrity anymore?..Kind of like what John Madden did to Micheal Irving back in the day when Micheal told him about his trick to get open.

If this is true, and I think it is, then those players should have kept their mouths shut. We agree on that. I'm more concerned with the motives on reporting on this. Completely unethical in my opinon.

Do we know that we specifially said not to report it? I didn't hear anything that said that.

fansince'76
01-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a smokescreen to me.

Craic
01-15-2011, 02:21 PM

It's not that simple. There are "unwritten rules" in the NFL about what you are supposed to share with the media. Trick plays and the like, you share, because it makes the media look good. Why else do you think coaches and players come out after games and do interviews? Its all about that unwritten code. To not do it, is to break the agreement.

Craic
01-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a smokescreen to me.

Actually, this is exactly what I was thinking. Give them one thing, and then do the exact opposite. Watch, they will be concentrating on Randle El, and end up hitting Wallace for a 60 yards TD pass.

LLT
01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I think our trick play is that Randle el is actually going to try and return one. I'm so excited!!!

fansince'76
01-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I think our trick play is that Randle el is actually going to try and return one. I'm so excited!!!

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Bingo.

This guy is paid to be a classless vulture so there really shouldn't be any surprise here.

Craic
01-15-2011, 02:39 PM

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/unleashmiisoul/FootInDa0Ass.gif (http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/unleashmiisoul/?action=view&current=FootInDa0Ass.gif)

:chuckle:

Akagi
01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
It's probably all for the best, it'll keep someone from throwing up a rainbow at a crucial time. Let's just go out there and beat the fuck out of them head to head.

The Duke
01-15-2011, 04:57 PM
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/unleashmiisoul/FootInDa0Ass.gif (http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/unleashmiisoul/?action=view&current=FootInDa0Ass.gif)

:chuckle:

:toofunny:

how long you been waiting to use that one?