PDA

View Full Version : Glad Golden Tate did not end up a Steeler

Steel MD
06-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Sounds like Golden Tate is primed to be the next Santonio Holmes rather than the next Hines Ward. Steeling donuts at 3:00 am sounds like the munchies to me. See below:

Golden Tate's 'Break-In' Might Be Best Endorsement For Team Sponsor
Published: Wednesday, 9 Jun 2010 | 8:40 AM ET
Text Size
By: Darren Rovell
CNBC Sports Business Reporter

Now we know. Golden Tate is quite a fan of Top Pot Doughnuts' Maple Bars.

If you haven't heard by now, the Seattle Seahawks rookie was cited for trespassing after he and his friend snuck in through an open back door at one of the Washington-based chains.

Top Pot Doughnuts' maple bars & doughnuts
Source: toppotdoughnuts.com
Top Pot Doughnuts' maple bars & doughnuts
It was 3 a.m. They weren't open yet.

Why were they "breaking in?"

Tate said it was the maple bars. Here's his line to the media when the news broke.

"They're irresistible," Tate said. "If you ever want some maple bars, that's the place to go."

I'm not condoning what he did, but is that not the most ringing endorsement of a product ever? So good it's worth breaking in for?

Now here's the rub. Top Pot Doughnuts signed a deal before the season to be the official doughnut and coffee of the NFL's Seahawks. Let's say they heard about Tate's obsession with those maple bars and held a media event where they presented him with a "lifetime deal." I guarantee you that would have done a fraction of what this news story did for sales of maple bars.

If Tate did an endorsement deal of sorts, it would just be local news. After all, the company only has seven stores and they're all in Washington. But, as a result of how it went down, there were over 140 stories written on Top Pot's Maple Bars.

Even Coach Pete Carroll, who earlier this year admitted to not drinking coffee (not good for Top Pot), commented to his 400,000 Twitter followers on the Maple Bar "heist."

Carroll wrote: "A great maple bar is a great maple bar, right golden?? They don't come along everyday ... a classic @TopPot temptation!"

Now I'm wondering what can Top Pot do to cash on this "unfortunate" event. Is it worth it to make Tate a spokesman, especially if the second round pick does well? Or have they gotten enough publicity out of the deal?

I'm also wondering how I can taste one of these things. Legally of course.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37590461

NJarhead
06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Doesn't he know that the police will guard their territory like a mama bear with cubs?

lol, actually I stole that from a Hawks fan.