PDA

View Full Version : They only call it "Class Warfare" when the poor fight back!

Doc_Holiday
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
http://www.alternet.org/economy/149531/the_class_war_launched_by_america%27s_wealthiest_i s_getting_more_savage?page=1

GoSlash27
01-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Drivel.
Are the rich out there trying to villify poor people for being poor? Is there some political campaign to rob the poor to "redistribute" their wealth that I'm not aware of based on the dubious logic that they don't deserve what little they've got?
It's called "class warfare" because it segregates Americans into "classes" and pits us against each other in a "war". I don't see the rich engaging in that.

Craic
01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
This is hilarious

Corporate profits are up 106.7 percent. The S&P 500 is still up 141.4 percent since 1990. CEO compensation is up 282 percent. Call it transfer of wealth. Or call it class warfare.

And um, just WHO do those corporations give that money to? Let's all say it together now... THE SHAREHOLDERS.

And who are the shareholders? Well, if you have a 401K, an IRA, a Mutual Fund, or Stock, please raise your hand-You classist ultra rich corporate scum!

GBMelBlount
01-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Oh brother.

Doc_Holiday
01-15-2011, 12:13 AM
This is hilarious

And um, just WHO do those corporations give that money to? Let's all say it together now... THE SHAREHOLDERS.

And who are the shareholders? Well, if you have a 401K, an IRA, a Mutual Fund, or Stock, please raise your hand-You classist ultra rich corporate scum!

Well it does depend on where your 401k, IRA, Mutual fund or Stock are invested in. Shareholders screw things up more than this Caste system that's in place, depending on how you break down your stats.

Godfather
01-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Drivel.
Are the rich out there trying to villify poor people for being poor? Is there some political campaign to rob the poor to "redistribute" their wealth that I'm not aware of based on the dubious logic that they don't deserve what little they've got?

Actually, there is.

We gave billions of dollars in bailouts to the banks. We're forcing working people to buy health insurance from for-profit companies. We gave a ton of taxpayer dollars to GM.

That money all ends up getting thrown down a rathole, because if those fat cats were any good at producing wealth they wouldn't need government intervention. They'd obtain it fair and square in the free market.

Craic
01-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Actually, there is.

We gave billions of dollars in bailouts to the banks. We're forcing working people to buy health insurance from for-profit companies. We gave a ton of taxpayer dollars to GM.

That money all ends up getting thrown down a rathole, because if those fat cats were any good at producing wealth they wouldn't need government intervention. They'd obtain it fair and square in the free market.

Yeah, thing is, most of the people conservatives actually were screaming about NOT doing that.

On top of that, when you give money to GM, you are basically lining the pockets of the unions just as much or more than the companies. Health insurance? Thank Obama!

You are EXACTLY RIGHT...
because if those fat cats were any good at producing wealth they wouldn't need government intervention. They'd obtain it fair and square in the free market

Except that, the govt. intervention now creates the problems which then has to be solved only by more govt. intervention.

GoSlash27
01-16-2011, 07:02 AM
^ Exactly what Preach said. All the bailouts, reforms, etc. are about power and influence. The money doesn't go to "rich people" in general, but rather the few select rich people that are in good in good with the politicians.
We would be better off if we took the power to do this sort of thing away from the Federal government.
My point still remains; the rich people aren't dividing Americans into classes and calling the poor people evil. That's what class warfare is.

Godfather
01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Yeah, thing is, most of the people conservatives actually were screaming about NOT doing that.

Oh, I know...just saying that was class warfare too. It was a handful of rich people stealing from the middle class.

My point still remains; the rich people aren't dividing Americans into classes and calling the poor people evil. That's what class warfare is.

Well, in fairness I have heard some neocons out there bashing the poor as "leeches" and making excuses for bailouts. That kind of thinking is what led to RINO hunting in the primaries.

The real battle is between leeches and producers--and both groups include rich and poor.

GoSlash27
01-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I disagree. I think the real battle has always been between the people and the government.

Craic
01-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Well it does depend on where your 401k, IRA, Mutual fund or Stock are invested in. Shareholders screw things up more than this Caste system that's in place, depending on how you break down your stats.

Caste system? Really?

Hmm. So, when was the last time you heard someone tell someone else that if they worked hard and moved up into a new tier of society, they would destroy the karma and have to start out again in a lower caste? When was the last time you actually heard someone say, "So, since you were born poor, it must be because of something you did in a previous life" ?

I understand rhetoric. The problem is, rhetoric moves arguments to places of absurdity where the only way a person can get over it, is to be more absurd/loud. People were screaming for an end to rancorous debate- but no one wants to take the time to realize that simple statements and uses such as "caste system" is what fuels the escalation.