PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' title window may be closing

stillers4me
01-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin might as well have distributed AARP applications when, in attempting to motivate his veterans during a short week leading to the Carolina Panthers game, he suggested they required more turnaround time than their younger counterparts.
"Physically they're capable of bouncing back faster," Tomlin said of the Panthers, "so we've got to prepare extremely smart and put our veteran players in the best position."
His ploy worked — the Steelers rolled to a 27-3 victory. But there might have been some truth in Tomlin's take.

Eight starters — six on defense, two on offense — are age 30 or older. The window of opportunity for the core of this Steelers team to win its third Super Bowl since the 2005 season is starting to close.....................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_718140.html

GoSlash27
01-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Harris obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. We don't do "title windows" and rebuilding seasons.

SteelerSal
01-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Harris obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. We don't do "title windows" and rebuilding seasons.

:thumbsup: haven't since the 80's.

Dino 6 Rings
01-14-2011, 09:53 AM
but Ray Lewis can be 50 and still playing and he's considered "the best in the league"

whatever...

we have been drafting well, getting youth, we are locked up at center for at least 10 years now on the oline barring injury, with Hood coming around, our D line is gaining some youth, we'll keep plugging in guys like Woodley and Timmons as the other linebackers get older...RB position is Young, TE is Young, WR is Young now, we'll keep on doing our thing, you keep calling us old.

BeerMan
01-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that article is pretty much bullshit. If you have to use ARE to bolster your argument that we're getting old, you don't really have a leg to stand on. Sure he's made a few "splash" plays for us, but his role at this point is minimal at best.

This is just as bad as Collier's piece about how we're bound to lose to the Ravens in the playoffs sooner or later, and this year is just as good as any for it to happen.

Let's just get the game underway and see what shit we have to read about next week (after a victory, of course!).

Edman
01-14-2011, 10:05 AM
RB: Mendenhall and Redman.

WR: Wallace, Sanders, and Brown. All contributors to the 2010 team drafted in two years.

D-Line: The Steelers have Hood stepping up for Smith and Steve Mclendon waiting in the wings.

LB: Woodley, Timmons, with Worilds, Fox, and Sylvester.

Don't forget the Steelers being set at Center for the next Decade with Pouncey.

The Defensive backfield is a question mark, but I'm sure we'll be okay there. Overall, this article is total crap.

tube517
01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Don't forget Sushishamwow (29) replaced Towel Dispenser Boy (31) :chuckle:

WR: Wallace, Sanders, and Brown. All contributors to the 2010 team drafted in two years.

D-Line: The Steelers have Hood stepping up for Smith and Steve Mclendon waiting in the wings.

The Defensive backfield is a question mark, but I'm sure we'll be okay there. Overall, this article is total crap.

fansince'76
01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Ben retiring anytime soon? That's when I'll worry.

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Agreed. Garbage article.

The Duke
01-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Ben retiring anytime soon? That's when I'll worry.

THis!

Other than getting one or two more dlinemen and a young backup safety I would say we're in pretty good shape

Crow-Magnon
01-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Ravens defense is old, too.

Funny. Both Baltimore and Pittsburgh went 12-4.

fansince'76
01-14-2011, 12:55 PM

Yep. Go figure :noidea:

BigNastyDefense
01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Wow, that article was garbage.

Almost every team has a mix of veterans and young guns. The ones that run very young normally aren't all that good because nobody is mature enough to step up and be a leader. There isn't anyone to teach the young guys how to be a professional.

I feel very confident in the way the Steelers are built. Not to mention that there are no backups, just starters in waiting.

HometownGal
01-14-2011, 03:35 PM
What an asinine article. :doh: Doesn't that dodobird realize that we have some damned good young blood waiting in the wings on D and we're pretty young on the O side of the ball? Obviously, this idiot didn't bother to do his homework before spewing his crap.

SteelGhost
01-14-2011, 03:46 PM

The Defensive backfield is a BIG question mark, but I'm sure we'll be okay there when we find BMac's and Gay's replacements . Overall, this article is total crap.

Fixed for ya' :chuckle:

HometownGal
01-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Like a fine wine . . . . better with age. :thumbsup: Gives you youngins something to look forward to. :heh:

Craic
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
I gotta wonder how many people here actually read the entire article. His point was not that the window itself is closing (the title is quite misleading), but rather, that the window for the older players to win another SB is closing. Here is the key line:

Eight starters — six on defense, two on offense — are age 30 or older. The window of opportunity for the core of this Steelers team to win its third Super Bowl since the 2005 season is starting to close.

Hence, this article really isn't about the Pittsburgh Steelers at all. It is about James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Brett Kiesel, Ike Taylor, Troy P. Hines Ward, Ben R. Larry Foote, and a couple lineman. Its just another case of shoddy journalism trying to make a big statement to draw hits to a web page, then burying the real purpose of the stroy 4 paragraphs into the story (and talk about shoddy journalism, a paragraph should be 3 sentences long, not two. What DO they teach in journalism school? Definitely not English skills).

Ok, wait a second, based on my last line-- be patient while I whip out my badge....

http://wesleying.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Grammar-Police.png

:chuckle:

JayC
01-14-2011, 05:03 PM
did not read. article sounds stupid.

Psycho Ward 86
01-14-2011, 05:43 PM

lol yeah, I dont buy into this crap

SteelGhost
01-14-2011, 05:58 PM
lol yeah, I dont buy into this crap

"I don't suscribe to that hocus pocus" :toofunny:

Merchant
01-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Having 2 Super Bowl rings instead of 3 is still really good.. just sayin'

Marino knows

Count Steeler
01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Window may be closing, but the door remains open wide.

Face it all you non-Steelers fans, we are knocking at the door of #7 with a team leadership that you would like to call old, that you would like to characterize as needing wheelchairs to get to the sidelines, BUT, there is one thing we have and that is the heart of a champion.

Which team, remaining in the playoffs, is the latest to win a Super Bowl? Come on now, don't be shy.