PDA

View Full Version : Steelers plan to holster 'pistol'

stillers4me
01-13-2011, 05:25 AM
At 6-foot-5, 241 pounds, Ben Roethlisberger is big.

For the most part, Roethlisberger's size is a good thing when it comes to the Steelers' offense.

A month ago, it was a real detriment ... to the run game.

How big Roethlisberger is wasn't really appreciated by his backfield mates the last time the Steelers and Ravens met Dec. 5 in Baltimore.

With a banged-up foot limiting Roethlisberger's mobility, the Steelers had no choice but to install the 'pistol' formation mere days before playing their rivals.

As much as it helped Roethlisberger battle through his ankle injury to throw for 253 yards and a touchdown is how much it hurt the Steelers' running game against an already stout Ravens' run defense.

"We had to sacrifice," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It was the only way we could get him in the game. It hurt (the running backs) a little bit."................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717926.html

VTsteel
01-13-2011, 06:15 AM
It is true it hurt the backs production a little. I think the thing not said in that article is that the o-lines performance to that point had been substandard - and that really is the reason to deploy the pistol formation. Ben's mobility certainly did exacerbate the situation . . . but if the o-line wasn't so banged up and could've given Ben the time he needed to make his reads and deliver the ball - the pistol never would've had to been used.

That being said, with the o-line performing better and Ben's mobility better we shouldn't need to manufacture the time.

When I saw we were using the pistol in that game - to help give Ben more time I thought it was a brilliant move and (more importantly) it worked!

I did not know that the Steelers only practiced it for three days though . . . I am really impressed that the backs picked it up that quickly - kudos to them.

hotrodder07
01-13-2011, 07:36 AM
I must not have been following the Steelers so closely that week! I honestly didn't know we ran the pistol because of Ben's lack of mobility. I thought we were just giving the Ravens a different look in an attempt to confuse them. I guess I need to spend more time than I already do on this website. :P

Psycho Ward 86
01-13-2011, 10:24 PM
After allowing 96 yards rushing to the Chiefs during the first half of last week's AFC wild-card game, the Ravens gave up 12 in the second half.

That's a misleading stat. Charles was raping the Ravens until the Chiefs stopped running him because the Ravens had such a big lead. He would've easily surpassed 100 if it weren't for Cassel shooting himself in the face. Hopefully Mendenhall can get somewhat close to the same result.