PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Steelers' Smith could return is for Super Bowl

Merchant
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81da2486/article/earliest-steelers-smith-could-return-is-for-super-bowl?module=HP_headlines

The Pittsburgh Steelers might not get Aaron Smith back until the Super Bowl, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

Smith, an elite 3-4 defensive end and one of the key cogs on Pittsburgh's defense, tore his triceps early in Week 7 at Miami and has not played since.

The Steelers knew at the time that Smith's injury could have been considered season-ending, but given his importance to the team, they kept a roster spot open for the playoffs and did not place him on injured reserve. He is virtually certain not to face the Baltimore Ravens this week and would be doubtful to play in the AFC Championship Game as well, according to the source.

"The Super Bowl would probably be the most realistic timetable," the source said. The Steelers would have to win two more games to get there, and then would get the pre-Super Bowl bye week as well.

Smith resumed weight lifting weeks ago but has only been able to practice thus far on an extremely limited basis.

-----

Well then...

venom
01-12-2011, 01:52 PM
So Smith will be back for the Super Bowl ? Ok then, I guess we will have to wait until February to see him play

steelpride12
01-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Yupp I figured that one, he is just not ready to play and needs to get his strength back and do some full team practices in all pads before he can get on the field. Smarter to stick with the young Hood who has played well in his absence.

Mtn.Steel
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Look, I figured as much and it is good to see him wearing "a hat", but this article is a joke when it comes from someone who is a "source with knowledge of the situation."
More like a media whore who is looking to roll the dice on having "the scoop"...with good odds I might add. I want to see AS take one snap just to prove these morons wrong.

GodfatherofSoul
01-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any insights as to why we never put him on IR with such a long recovery timeline (not assuming this article is correct)? They just seem to be so set on getting him back this season. I'll throw out the theory that this might be his last season either with the team or as a player.

LLT
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Look, I figured as much and it is good to see him wearing "a hat", but this article is a joke when it comes from someone who is a "source with knowledge of the situation."
More like a media whore who is looking to roll the dice on having "the scoop"...with good odds I might add. I want to see AS take one snap just to prove these morons wrong.

Agreed...this story has LaCanfora or Mortenson written all over it.

LLT
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have any insights as to why we never put him on IR with such a long recovery timeline (not assuming this article is correct)? They just seem to be so set on getting him back this season. I'll throw out the theory that this might be his last season either with the team or as a player.

I think that the Steelers did it for two reasons....1) Out of respect for Smith since he is on the back side of his career 2) Hedging their bet on whether Hood would pan out this year.

stlrtruck
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
If the Steelers win this Saturday, I can see Smith returning (if only limited) for the AFCCG.

ALLD
01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
They did the same thing for Rod Woodson.

SMR
01-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey Hood is doin' alright in my book!

tube517
01-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Like I said, Aaron will make a huge tackle for a loss in the SB, get up and point to his arm, ala Rod Woodson pointing at his knee in SB XXX.

CPanther95
01-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Perfect.

If someone asked me if I'd rather Smith play in the AFCCG or the Super Bowl, I'd choose the Super Bowl.

This is great news.

Galax Steeler
01-13-2011, 03:53 AM
If Hood is good enough to get us to the superbowl then why bring Smith back this year.