PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Nation: No ticket to game? No problem

LLT
01-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Steelers Nation: No ticket to game? No problem
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
By Kevin Purcell

We all have a to-do list of things to accomplish before we get too old or kick the bucket. One item on my list was to see a football game in Pittsburgh.

I have been a Steelers fan since the dark days of 1969. I became one not because I lived in Pittsburgh (I grew up in Joplin, Mo.) but because I played on a lousy little league team.

After finishing in last place one year, my attention turned to football. One Sunday, the St. Louis Cardinals (lousy in their own right) were playing the Steelers and one of the announcers commented that the Steelers were the "worst team in the NFL." I took an instant liking to them. Maybe I could relate to their futility.

The next year, they drafted Terry Bradshaw and their climb to greatness accelerated. But despite years of psychotic devotion, I never tried to see a Steelers home game until 2008, when I had a Sunday morning revelation in Virginia to attend the Ravens-Steelers game the following night.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11012/1117246-294.stm#ixzz1ApgeP5Ke

HometownGal
01-12-2011, 08:56 AM
That was a great read and I'm so glad this dude was able to find a ticket from a non-scalper :applaudit: - those guys are vampires. It was also refreshing to read how other Steelers fans were so outgoing to this perfect stranger! :applaudit:

LLT
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
That was a great read and I'm so glad this dude was able to find a ticket from a non-scalper :applaudit: - those guys are vampires. It was also refreshing to read how other Steelers fans were so outgoing to this perfect stranger! :applaudit:

What a contrast to the thread about the Eagles fans!!!!

Silverback
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks for sharing that. It was really inspiring, as a lifelong Steelers fan who has never been to a game in person, but has been dying to go. I've been to the Burgh, several times and love it there, even considered moving there, if I could talk my wife into it.:chuckle: I grew up about five hours away, in southern Ohio (surrounded by Bengals and Browns fans), went to school in WV (Marshall, go Legursky and Lefty!) and now live in DC (which has a couple of good Steelers bars). So, I've definitely considered making the drive a number of times, but I've never been able to find what I thought was a reasonable price for a ticket. Or maybe I'm just naive when it comes to ticket prices. Trying to get two tickets for no more than $200, total. Is that a foolish price range?

Any locals got any tips for next season? Also, any hotel recommendations that have access to the trolley?

LLT
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for sharing that. It was really inspiring, as a lifelong Steelers fan who has never been to a game in person, but has been dying to go. I've been to the Burgh, several times and love it there, even considered moving there, if I could talk my wife into it.:chuckle: I grew up about five hours away, in southern Ohio (surrounded by Bengals and Browns fans), went to school in WV (Marshall, go Legursky and Lefty!) and now live in DC (which has a couple of good Steelers bars). So, I've definitely considered making the drive a number of times, but I've never been able to find what I thought was a reasonable price for a ticket. Or maybe I'm just naive when it comes to ticket prices. Trying to get two tickets for no more than $200, total. Is that a foolish price range?
Any locals got any tips for next season? Also, any hotel recommendations that have access to the trolley?

You never know...I live 2 hrs from Indianapolis... and got a call at noon on game day this last week asking if I wanted 2 tickets to the playoff game against the Jets...for $75 each!!!

Butch
01-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Good read and also very inspiring. I can't wait to make my 1st trip to Mecca with my Son to see the Steelers play a live game at last!!!