PDA

View Full Version : No running allowed against Steelers' defense

LLT
01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
No running allowed against Steelers' defense
SI.com
Wednesday January 12, 2011

PITTSBURGH (AP) - When Browns quarterback Colt McCoy ran for 6 yards with barely a minute remaining in a 41-9 loss to Pittsburgh the first week of January, he prevented the Steelers from something achieved only twice during a 16-game NFL season.

He kept them from allowing fewer than 1,000 yards rushing for an entire season.

Even during one of the most prolific passing seasons in NFL history, 100-yard rushers are commonplace - except against Pittsburgh. The Steelers didn't give up one to an individual all season while allowing a scant 1,004 yards in 16 games.

Only two teams, the Jets and Patriots, ran for 100 yards against a defense that permitted 62.8 per game, the third-lowest average since the 1970 NFL merger.

Read more:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/wires/01/12/2020.ap.fbn.steelers.no.running.allowed.0908/index.html#ixzz1ApdG12nl

HometownGal
01-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Rice-cake aint getting shit on the ground on Saturday, so the Rats are going to have to rely on Flacid's arm. The only receiver they have who concerns me is Boldin but I'm of the strong belief that if we pass rush the living shart out of Flacid, he's going to rush his throws and we may get a couple of picks and hopefully pick 6's. :pray:

SMR
01-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I predict the Steel wall will get the job done come Saturday.

http://i56.tinypic.com/347w4yh.jpg

Galax Steeler
01-13-2011, 03:33 AM
If we shut Rice down and make Flacco throw the ball then his game should be in our favor.

hamnlambchop88
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Derrick Mason is a long-time thorn in our side; we need to watch out for him, too.

The good thing is, the Ravens don't have a true deep threat like Mike Wallace. I think we should be able to shut down the Ravens offense pretty effectively, especially once they get inside the 20, and I believe Wallace could be our not-so-secret "secret" weapon against an average Baltimore secondary.

steelpride12
01-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Yes the Steelers must stick to their roots and stop the run all game long. Don't think that equals a win though because the Rats do have an impressive receiving corp with Mason, Boldin and Houzeyurmomma and they have had success this season. The secondary will need to play it's best ball and players like Gay and Mcfadden need to show up big.

GoSlash27
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
What's escaping notice is that we're also not giving up the pass either since Coach Dad adjusted the defensive scheme in the wake of the NE game. We've only allowed 168 yards per game through the air in the last 7 games, which is good enough for #1 against the year-long league stats. Flacco noticed in our last matchup and had an alright day, considering. Not enough to win, but enough to make it uncomfortable.

tube517
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Agree, that old man always comes up with a big catch on 3rd down.

Derrick Mason is a long-time thorn in our side; we need to watch out for him, too.
The good thing is, the Ravens don't have a true deep threat like Mike Wallace. I think we should be able to shut down the Ravens offense pretty effectively, especially once they get inside the 20, and I believe Wallace could be our not-so-secret "secret" weapon against an average Baltimore secondary.