PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy Hood's emergence fortifies Steelers' D-line

Galax Steeler
01-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Defensive end Ziggy Hood is one of the strongest players on the Steelers, though apparently there are different classifications for that quality.

"I'm grown-man strong," veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "He's weight strong."

Two things that aren't in question when it comes to Hood: He has gotten stronger as his second NFL season has progressed, and his emergence couldn't have come at a better time for the Steelers.

Read more:http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717532.html

salamander
01-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Considering we still managed to have one of the best run defenses of all time with Ziggy in the line-up, I'd say we're good.

steelpride12
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Ziggy is emerging as a solid player on the line. This is one reason why I don't think we would see Aaron Smith until AFC Championship game or the SB if and when we make it, he has filled in fine and fits the role and position and has not costs the defense any plays or made any negative moves or penalties.

Randy06
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I would still like to have everything we got out there on the field Saturday.

SteelerFanInStl
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Ziggy has stepped it up this year during Aaron's absence.

Craic
01-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Hopefully Ziggy's emergence will allow us to move Smith to a backup position next year. That way, he can come in with fresh legs in the second half of a game and simply dominate-while limiting his chances of getting hurt.

Count Steeler
01-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Just to clarify, Ziggy is a leftover of the Cowher era? :sarcasm:

Craic
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Just to clarify, Ziggy is a leftover of the Cowher era? :sarcasm:

No.

The Noll Era.

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I think an interesting question to bring up fellas, is this one:

Do you guys believe that Ziggy will claim a starting spot next season? If so, over who, Smith or Keisel?

BigNastyDefense
01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Ziggy has played phenomenally this season. He was well worth the first round selection that we used on him.

The Duke
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Do you guys believe that Ziggy will claim a starting spot next season? If so, over who, Smith or Keisel?

Smith

And I love preacher's idea of using smith as a backup in the second half!

In theory sounds great. As long as he doesn't hang it up....

Craic
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
In theory sounds great. As long as he doesn't hang it up....

That's the catch.

BTW, anyone have an update on his son? I haven't heard anything for quite a while.

The Duke
01-11-2011, 11:17 PM
That's the catch.

BTW, anyone have an update on his son? I haven't heard anything for quite a while.

Last update I've heard was from that "In the shadows" video. think it was filmed in july and it said he's responding well to treatment

kid looks energetic and playful. Like if he wasn't even sick

XxKnightxX
01-11-2011, 11:41 PM

Keisel is stilll signed for a couple of more years, and Smiths contract might be up at the end of the season, so it all depends, I think Smith still plays without missing a beat so if he re-signs then hell probably back up for one more year then take over the next year."

Craic
01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Last update I've heard was from that "In the shadows" video. think it was filmed in july and it said he's responding well to treatment

kid looks energetic and playful. Like if he wasn't even sick

Good to hear. Wish we had a newer update, but private life is private life, and they are entitled to it.

Galax Steeler
01-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Ziggy is emerging as a solid player on the line. This is one reason why I don't think we would see Aaron Smith until AFC Championship game or the SB if and when we make it, he has filled in fine and fits the role and position and has not costs the defense any plays or made any negative moves or penalties.

That would be interesting would they bring Smith back if Hood is playing well and getting us to the Championship or Superbowl.

SMR
01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Save Smith for the Super Bowl (hoping that we do).