PDA

View Full Version : Two-time Steelers adjust to new roles

stillers4me
01-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Larry Foote didn't envision serving as a consultant more than a running mate to James Farrior.

Antwaan Randle El, meanwhile, didn't expect to catch the fewest passes of his career and having his role diminished by the emergence of a couple of rookies.

But days such as Sunday are the reason why two members of the Steelers' 2002 draft class returned to the team last March.

The Steelers held a short practice at their South Side headquarters as they prepare for a divisional playoff game Saturday against the visiting Baltimore Ravens. They stand just two wins away from a trip to the Super Bowl, and only need three to capture a seventh Lombardi Trophy.

Winning has been the trade-off for the reduced roles that Foote and Randle El have accepted in their second tours of duty with the Steelers................

Read more @ http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717416.html

tube517
01-10-2011, 05:54 AM
This is what really I expected from El. Playing time diminishing as the season wears on. Becoming more of a mentor to the young guys. Similar to what Terence Mathis did for El in 2002. I always joke about Mr. Fair Catch but I said at the beginning that he could be valuable as a mentor.

Emmanuel Sanders apparently feels the same about Randle El.

The latter has served as a mentor for the Steelers' young wideouts, even though it has come at his expense as Sanders and fellow rookie Antonio Brown have developed.

HometownGal
01-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Great read and thanks! :drink:

It truly shows the character of both of these two guys that they have accepted playing a lesser role on the field but are such great locker room forces and mentors to the youngins (as well as rocks to a couple of the vets!). :applaudit: :drink: I was really happy to get both of 'em back in the B & G!

El is so diversified and is a master of the trick play which he always comes through on.

"No question, it's tough. I've just got to be in submission, if you will. When it comes to (Sanders and Brown) making plays, rewarding them, congratulating them, because I'm not going to try to put another guy down anyway and we're a team," Randle El said. "If you get wrapped up in what you feel like you should be doing, you mess up the opportunity when it comes your way."

:applaudit: :applaudit:

Steeldude
01-10-2011, 09:03 AM
i would rather have harrison, timmons or farrior do the mentoring rather than foote

SteelGhost
01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I wish the other "two-timer" (BMac that is) :no: had adjusted too and played decently.

Dino 6 Rings
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Rings are what matter to winners.

Playing time is what matters to Self Absorbed jackholes.