PDA

View Full Version : Arians doesn't let critics alter philosophy

LLT
01-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Arians doesn't let critics alter philosophy
By Scott Brown,
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 9, 2011

The man who supposedly has an aversion to power football counts Bear Bryant, as tough and gruff as anyone that ever blew a whistle, among his most enduring coaching influences. He also played quarterback in a wishbone offense at Virginia Tech.

The man who would supposedly throw the ball on every down if given carte blanche had a back, Paul Palmer, lead the country in rushing one season when he coached at Temple. He also helped the Chiefs finish in the NFL's top five in rushing in two of the four seasons that he coached running backs in Kansas City.

So when Bruce Arians is asked about the perception that he doesn't like to run the ball, the Steelers' oft-criticized offensive coordinator references his past, including the season at Virginia Tech when he, sometimes, threw less than 10 passes a game.

"If you can line up and beat people up that's an easy way to win," said Arians, who tutored running backs for Bryant and Alabama in 1981-82, one of nine college or NFL teams for whom he has coached. "It doesn't happen very often in this league. If you can't pass it, you're dead, you lost. You better be able to score points and, sometimes, you can set up the run with the passing."

Read More:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_717321.html

HometownGal
01-09-2011, 05:24 AM
"I think it's unfair, unwarranted because people don't know what goes on," Roethlisberger said of the inner workings of the Steelers' offense. "Listen, he would go into a game and if the run was there we would run the ball every single play. He has no problem running the ball. People don't understand that. They think he is strictly a passing guy. That's not true. He's wants to be the most productive offensive team that we can be."

BINGO.

"In our business, whenever anything's wrong with the defense, it's the players," said Henning, who spent the last two seasons as the Miami Dolphins' offensive coordinator and held the same position with the Carolina Panthers from 2002-06. "I'm sure up there in Pittsburgh, whenever there's anything wrong with the offense, it's the (play) call."

Bingo again. Wow - I'm on a streak!

"It's easy to point the finger at him because he's the one calling the plays," Steelers second-year wide receiver Mike Wallace said. "But as the same time, it's the execution not the play calls. It's just like playing quarterback. If things are going good, you're going to get the credit. If things go bad, you're going to take the blame."

Bingo yet again. TILT!

:applaudit: Very good read and SPOT ON!

The Duke
01-09-2011, 09:08 AM
"In our business, whenever anything's wrong with the defense, it's the players," said Henning, who spent the last two seasons as the Miami Dolphins' offensive coordinator and held the same position with the Carolina Panthers from 2002-06. "I'm sure up there in Pittsburgh, whenever there's anything wrong with the offense, it's the (play) call."

Too true

and if there's an OC that has received more (unwarranted) hate than arians the past years is Henning

ALLD
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Brandon Mashal only caught 33 paases this season compared to 100 last season.

The WH
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Would it be a party foul to initiate discussions about last season's Browns game?

going 5 wide in shit-for-passing weather against one of the worst run defenses in the league?

Don't give me this execution bullshit. Coaches should call plays that account for the situation at hand.

Dude doesn't get all the blame that I throw around. But he is certainly guity as charged on many cases.

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Brandon Mashal only caught 33 paases this season compared to 100 last season.

he caught 86...

salamander
01-09-2011, 11:55 AM
The Arians haters are licking their chops right now...

Devilsdancefloor
01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Would it be a party foul to initiate discussions about last season's Browns game?

going 5 wide in shit-for-passing weather against one of the worst run defenses in the league?

Don't give me this execution bullshit. Coaches should call plays that account for the situation at hand.
Dude doesn't get all the blame that I throw around. But he is certainly guity as charged on many cases.

as upset as i was about the stains game NO ONE ever gives BA the credit for a awesome game he called in Denver. Shit happens we are ALL human.

Chidi29
01-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Do you mind telling me how successful we were running the ball on 3rd and 1 in that game last year?

The WH
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Do you mind telling me how successful we were running the ball on 3rd and 1 in that game last year?
oh lord.

Better to fail while calling the right type of play than to fail calling a play that should have never even crossed your mind.
Calling this running play you talk about was Bruce putting his team in the position to succeed. They failed.
Going 5 wide in that Cleveland game was stacking the deck against your players given the weather situation.

One instance, the one you are talking about, is the players failing. The one I brought up, is the coordinator failing. Two different things.

Both equally as wrong, Chdid, but still two different things.

tube517
01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Eh, I don't like Arians but do we really need another thread? He's done better this year. He's part of the 12-4 over 9-7 improvement. Is he perfect? No. Do I want another OC? Yeah. But another thread discussing last year? LOL.

Chidi29
01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
oh lord.

Better to fail while calling the right type of play than to fail calling a play that should have never even crossed your mind.
Calling this running play you talk about was Bruce putting his team in the position to succeed. They failed.
Going 5 wide in that Cleveland game was stacking the deck against your players given the weather situation.

One instance, the one you are talking about, is the players failing. The one I brought up, is the coordinator failing. Two different things.

Both equally as wrong, Chdid, but still two different things.

No, it's both on the execution.

The first pass was a 5 yard in route to Heath Miller. He couldn't separate from Abram Elam. How is that on Arians?

Both are clearly execution issues no matter how you try to spin it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Eh, I don't like Arians but do we really need another thread? He's done better this year. He's part of the 12-4 over 9-7 improvement. Is he perfect? No. Do I want another OC? Yeah. But another thread discussing last year? LOL.

Exactly my thoughts.

#14 ranked Offense in the NFL
#2 ranked Defense in the NFL

I think the Steelers can do better offensively. I am just hoping the Defense can come up big like in 2008 when the Steelers were #22 Ranked Offensively, but #1 Ranked Defensively.