PDA

View Full Version : Ben isn’t only Steeler on shaky ground

LLT
06-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Ben isn’t only Steeler on shaky ground
By ROB LONGLEY, QMI Agency
Last Updated: June 8, 2010 9:53pm

For the time being at least, the Pittsburgh Steelers seem willing to forgive and forget the transgressions of their star quarterback.

But what about the shortcomings of their head coach?

Once he serves his punishment with the league, Ben Roethlisberger will be welcomed back to the Steelers with the full expectation of leading the team to another Super Bowl. He may be on a short leash with regards to his personal conduct, but Big Ben will be back.

The situation with coach Mike Tomlin appears considerably more muddled, however. Entering the final year of his contract, Tomlin hasn’t exactly seen progress in signing an extension, despite having led the team to a Super Bowl win.

During the off-season, there was a pointed message from Steelers ownership that they aren’t exactly enamoured with Tomlin’s coaching philosophies, particularly on offence.

The first signs of trouble came in January when owner Art Rooney II, never shy to meddle in the operation of his team, decreed that the Steelers should move to a more traditional run-first attack rather than the pass-happy one favoured by Tomlin last season.

There might be nothing behind the fact that the Steelers are letting Tomlin head into the season without an extension and management could easily work on a new pact before it is done.

On the other hand, the Rooneys could be taking a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately approach and if the Steelers miss the playoffs for a second consecutive season, Tomlin could pay a steeper price than Roethlisberger.

Not Just Fish Wrap

The absurd recent comments by Dolphins owner Stephen Ross that a.) His team would play in the Super Bowl this season and b.) Quarterback Chad Henne one day could be remembered as the greatest QB in franchise history certainly opened himself up to ridicule.

But running back Ricky Williams isn’t among those laughing.

“If you don’t approach the season thinking that, then you shouldn’t be playing football,” the one-time Argo told ESPN.com

on Tuesday. “The reason he said that is he probably heard (coach Tony Sparano) say it, and that takes a lot of balls for a head coach to say it.

“He raised the bar, and it’s our job to reach it.”

As for Henne who threw 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in the 13 times he has started an NFL game, Williams had this to say:

“Who would Chad Henne be if he said he wants to be the second-best quarterback in Miami Dolphins history? I don’t want a quarterback like that on my team.”

he wants it all

Stan Kroenke wants it all. The owner of the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche and NBA’s Denver Nuggets intends to keep both in his family should he snag full ownership of the St. Louis Rams. The billionaire from Missouri already owns 40% of the Rams, but the NFL forbids owners from also owning teams in the other three major sports.

But reports suggest Kroenke plans to cede majority ownership of the Nuggets to his 30-year-old son. There were no suggestions of what Kroenke would do with his hockey team.

“My family looks forward to owning the Rams, Nuggets and Avalanche for years to come while being compliant with all stipulations set by the NFL,” Kroenke said in a written statement. “Our family remains committed to fans in St. Louis and Denver.”

The NFL has dealt with cross ownership in the past. In 1994, Wayne Huizenga bought the Dolphins when he already owned the Florida Marlins and Florida Panthers.

Quick Kicks

It’s never too early for a Super Bowl prediction — The Sporting News preview is out and calling for a Jets victory over the Cowboys .

Better late than never

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis showed up for his team’s organized team activity on Tuesday. Revis sat out a practice session last week because of his demands for a fat raise. The star DB still has three years remaining on his contract but wants to be the best paid at his position.
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/football/2010/06/08/14314356.html

Galax Steeler
06-09-2010, 04:29 AM
Dolphins in the super bowl this year:lol: My gosh I know every team has high expectaitions but lets be realistic here.

solardave
06-09-2010, 04:43 AM
I think Tomlin is as they "on the hot seat". As far as Miami being in the superbowl and Henne being the best QB ever in Miami. Now that's funny.

Steelerchad
06-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Please. Tomlin on the hot seat is laughable.
The Steelers are on their 3rd coach in over 40 years. They obviously have a history of staying the course. Tomlin would have to have at least 3 bad seasons in a row before this would even be a consideration and I wouldn't count last year as a bad season for Tomlin. 9-7 with no Troy or Smith and having a shot at the playoffs going into week 17 is not a fireable offense. His 65% winning % in his first 3 seasons would put him ahead of both Cowher and Nolls career %'s. He has 2 playoff appearances and a SuperBowl in 3 years and no losing seasons. I don't agree with every decision he makes nor am I a fan of a 60-40 pass to run ratio, but you play to your strengths. We haven't had a back or the O-line to run it down peoples throat in quite a few seasons. I think Mendy has shown he can be a productive back and the drafting of Pouncey shows the team wants to get back to the run. But I think we're talking about a 50-50 balanced offense at best now.

Tomlin will make the playoffs 2 of his next 3 years and all will be fine. He will have a nice 15 year run as the Steelers HC and will probably get at least 1 more SB in my opinion.

TatarMongol
06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Please. Tomlin on the hot seat is laughable.
The Steelers are on their 3rd coach in over 40 years. They obviously have a history of staying the course. Tomlin would have to have at least 3 bad seasons in a row before this would even be a consideration and I wouldn't count last year as a bad season for Tomlin. 9-7 with no Troy or Smith and having a shot at the playoffs going into week 17 is not a fireable offense. His 65% winning % in his first 3 seasons would put him ahead of both Cowher and Nolls career %'s. He has 2 playoff appearances and a SuperBowl in 3 years and no losing seasons. I don't agree with every decision he makes nor am I a fan of a 60-40 pass to run ratio, but you play to your strengths. We haven't had a back or the O-line to run it down peoples throat in quite a few seasons. I think Mendy has shown he can be a productive back and the drafting of Pouncey shows the team wants to get back to the run. But I think we're talking about a 50-50 balanced offense at best now.

Tomlin will make the playoffs 2 of his next 3 years and all will be fine. He will have a nice 15 year run as the Steelers HC and will probably get at least 1 more SB in my opinion.

Agreed. I think media is just trying 2 cook their next "OMG the Steelers R doomed" crap.

steel9guy
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Agreed. I think media is just trying 2 cook their next "OMG the Steelers R doomed" crap.

Yep I agree as well. I hate the media and I am sick and tired of them trying to screw the Steelers. All of this is so they can run their mouths about nothing.(ed werder report alert)

Wallace108
06-09-2010, 11:00 PM
I tuned out after this:
"The first signs of trouble came in January when owner Art Rooney II, never shy to meddle in the operation of his team ..."

Yeah, he's right up there with Jerry Jones ...