PDA

View Full Version : One fast LB

Steeldude
01-07-2011, 04:48 AM
RENO — The NFL scouts didn't believe their stopwatches.

They were the ones who timed the run. They were the ones who saw it happen. But they didn't believe it.

Nevada's Dontay Moch had just run 40 yards in 4.18 seconds. That would be among the fastest times ever recorded. In disbelief, they made him run again.

He clocked 4.08 on his second try. That time is almost inhuman. So they made him run again.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2010-08-18-preview-nevada-dontay-moch_N.htm

i don't know how skilled he is as a LB, but that is fast

Galax Steeler
01-07-2011, 05:02 AM
If he is any good at all he will be gone before we pick with that kind of speed.

Chidi29
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I've watched him a bunch of times this year. I don't know if he's 4.1 fast, but he's as fast as I've ever seen. I think he's a tweener though. Doesn't have a true position and his ability against the run is iffy because he's undersized. He'll have to come in at a 3-4 weakside backer.

Count Steeler
01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
He's got the right name as well. Moch speed.

Steeldude
01-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I've watched him a bunch of times this year. I don't know if he's 4.1 fast, but he's as fast as I've ever seen. I think he's a tweener though. Doesn't have a true position and his ability against the run is iffy because he's undersized. He'll have to come in at a 3-4 weakside backer.

i disagree...

moch is 6' 1" 245lbs

harrison is 6' 242lbs (harrison is solid vs the run)
timmons is 6' 1" 234lbs
farrior is 6' 2" 243lbs
woodley is 6' 2" 265lbs (probably the weakest of the four against the run, IMO)

i think he could play any of the LB spots and possibly safety if he is indeed that fast. from the little i have read it seems he is more of a good athlete than a good football player.

i would still rather get some OL, DL and/or DBs in the draft.

venom
01-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Whats he doing out there ? He should be in Michigan , lol

Count Steeler
01-08-2011, 11:58 AM
With that kind of speed, let him play strong safety. Imagine that size combined with that speed, taking on a WR over the middle? Let him just donate his salary to Goodell.

LLT
01-08-2011, 12:23 PM
With that kind of speed, let him play strong safety. Imagine that size combined with that speed, taking on a WR over the middle? Let him just donate his salary to Goodell.

He seems versatile enough to play either inside or outside in a 3-4 or 4-3. 41 career tackles for loss and 21.5 career sacks with Nevada. He is currently ranked as a 2nd rounder but I could see him climbing into the 1st round.

Chidi29
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
i disagree...

moch is 6' 1" 245lbs

harrison is 6' 242lbs (harrison is solid vs the run)
timmons is 6' 1" 234lbs
farrior is 6' 2" 243lbs
woodley is 6' 2" 265lbs (probably the weakest of the four against the run, IMO)

i think he could play any of the LB spots and possibly safety if he is indeed that fast. from the little i have read it seems he is more of a good athlete than a good football player.

i would still rather get some OL, DL and/or DBs in the draft.

When I watch him, he looks a lot smaller than even Harrison. Definitely smaller than Woodley and he'll get swallowed up versus the run. He can use his quick first step to get penetration at times, but if the tackle can lock on, Moch gets blown out.

Chidi29
01-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Nevada will be on TV tomorrow. You guys can check him out then.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Moch's upside and his skillset is incredible. I remember watching one play against Bosie st where Moch, from his RE spot, dropped back into coverage and broke up a pass twenty yards downfield down the seam.

Devilsdancefloor
01-08-2011, 01:00 PM

i agree if he can play SS lol

Texasteel
01-08-2011, 03:05 PM
i agree if he can play SS lol

We did that once before, and had pretty good luck with it. You guys keep adding names, and I'm having a hard time keeping up with what I have.

Steeldude
01-10-2011, 09:04 AM
or will he be another scott shields or conley?

Merchant
01-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Hold up... you're telling me this guy is 6'1" 245 lbs and he runs a 4.1 forty??? wtf...

Aussie_steeler
01-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Hold up... you're telling me this guy is 6'1" 245 lbs and he runs a 4.1 forty??? wtf...

So currently he is sitting #1 on Al Davis's big board...........until the combine. Lets see that 4.2 speed

Merchant
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
I want him.

Chidi29
02-01-2011, 05:38 AM

He came in pretty light. Just 229 pounds.

Craic
02-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Anyone else get the song rocket man stuck in their head as they read this?

Craic
02-01-2011, 05:48 AM
If he's that fast, make him a FB :chuckle:

Texasteel
02-01-2011, 06:50 AM
He came in pretty light. Just 229 pounds.

Thanks Chidi. I noticed folks were and 20 lbs to his frame already. Still if he can pick up 10, and can cover he could move to ILB for us.

Chidi29
02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks Chidi. I noticed folks were and 20 lbs to his frame already. Still if he can pick up 10, and can cover he could move to ILB for us.

I'm questioning how well he'll be able to shed blocks. It seems like a 50/50 chance with the guy. He can use his speed and small size to get under tackles, but if lineman lock on, he gets driven off the ball. Going against shorter lineman like guards and centers instead of hulking tackles is only going to hurt his advantage in the leverage game.

I'm a little concerned about him and Aaron Maybin being similar. Moch's stock is much lower, but they're similar in the sense of fast guys that played in the 220s in college, had to bulk up, lost their speed, and didn't use their hands well enough in college to be able to adjust at the NFL.

Devilsdancefloor
02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I still see this kids future as a Safety no way he makes it as a LBer in the NFL Oline and some TE would eat him up

Texasteel
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm questioning how well he'll be able to shed blocks. It seems like a 50/50 chance with the guy. He can use his speed and small size to get under tackles, but if lineman lock on, he gets driven off the ball. Going against shorter lineman like guards and centers instead of hulking tackles is only going to hurt his advantage in the leverage game.

I'm a little concerned about him and Aaron Maybin being similar. Moch's stock is much lower, but they're similar in the sense of fast guys that played in the 220s in college, had to bulk up, lost their speed, and didn't use their hands well enough in college to be able to adjust at the NFL.

Unfortunately, if he can shed blocks or not most likely will not be answered at the combines. Any team that is interested in him had better look at every bit of game films they can get.

Any time you draft a play on speed alone, you are taking a huge gamble. A gamble that has not paid of all the time.

Iron Steeler
02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Vernon Gholston???? watched some clips of him( youtube) from what i see it just looks like he trys to beat you with speed or off a stunt play. When confronted with contact by FB or a Gaurd he shows no move other then try to run around em. And again from what im looking at , if he doesn't get the tackle/sack on the first effort he kinda takes the play off...

my opinion sure im gonna get blasted for it

XxKnightxX
02-16-2011, 04:52 PM
This is great film on him. This guy is more of an asset if he plays in the secondary, as a hybrid SS/LB. He clearly is shown to have great speed off the ball and in some cases he moved into 3 different gaps on a pass rush so he is relentless. I think this guy if hes under the right coaching system can do some heavy damage. I say hes a late 2nd to 3rd rounder at best. Dont let his speed fool ya, in some plays he just got patted on the pads and he was swallowed in the pile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PT3GoRCKY8

Steeldude
02-28-2011, 03:15 AM
he wasn't invited to the combine?

The Duke
02-28-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm pretty sure he was

He's one of the reasons I've been waiting to watch the linebackers workouts today. Him and Lloyd's son

Texasteel
02-28-2011, 10:10 AM
He just ran a 4.44 - 40, and almost jumped off the chart in the vertical.