PDA

View Full Version : Ward: Young WRs 'don't have a clue' about playoffs

stillers4me
01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Apparently the Steelers’ bye week goes by another name as well.

“This week is young guys emphasis week,” veteran wide receiver Hines Ward said.

“They’re getting a lot of reps.”

Steelers’ wide receivers Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Browns, also got an earful from Ward this week.

He stayed on them about maintaining their focus in position meetings as well as in practice even though the Steelers’ don’t play until Jan. 15 when they host an AFC divisional playoff game..............

Read more @ http://burgh.us/sq

salamander
01-06-2011, 08:06 PM
These young guys definitely have a wise teacher.

JayC
01-06-2011, 08:06 PM
i hope randle el is 'returning' aka fair catching punts in the playoffs. i like brown and wouldn't mind doing a reverse to him or some passes but we can't be taking chances with rookie mistakes on punts imo. i think they are all ready for recieving though

SteelerSal
01-06-2011, 08:11 PM
This is the reason I hope Ward stays with the team after his playing days are over as an assistant coach. The guy has shown for years that he has what it takes to teach and younger players are more than willing to learn from him.

TroysBarber
01-07-2011, 08:41 AM
This is the reason I hope Ward stays with the team after his playing days are over as an assistant coach. The guy has shown for years that he has what it takes to teach and younger players are more than willing to learn from him.

Agreed! Often, great players don't make great coaches (see Jo Greene), but Ward has shown real coaching abilities. He even helped coach rookie receivers that were drafted #1 to take his job away from him.

Galax Steeler
01-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Hopefully they are up to the task and ready to step up for the playoffs.

Count Steeler
01-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Would be nice to keep Ward around as a teacher/coach. He is a great guy for the locker room.

The Duke
01-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Santonio had a big game in his first playoff game. And mike learned a lot from him too

hopefully he follows suit

as for the rookies- avoid stupid mistakes!

GoSlash27
01-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Hines would know. He's been in like 14 times.

LLT
01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
I love how the Steelers organization as a whole doesnt let the new guys get a prima-donna attitude. From Coach Tomlin telling Sanders to "go thank Mendenhall"...to Ward telling these guys that they "have no clue" and need to "stay focused." They do a good job of reminding the younger players that the name on the back of the jersey isnt as important as the one on the logo.

steelpride12
01-08-2011, 11:41 AM
We need Ward. With all these new young gun WR's on the team it's up to Ward and ARE to teach them the ropes and give them tips and advice each and every game.

HollywoodSteel
01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
As much as I'd like to see Ward stay on as some kind of coach after he retires, I really doubt it's going to happen. He has a promising future in television.

If they'll put Bill Cower's ugly puss in front of the camera, imagine how much they'll want the Hines Ward Perma-Smile.